The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

Are there rules against extremely front loading a contract? Like could they decide to be pretty much done with free agency signings of note and sign cousins in a way that is like 44 million this year and 20 the next 2 years? We filled true only major hole I saw us filling in free agency, so I'd be very happy if they could make a team friendly contract like that.

Just now, Heavydan85 said:

Are there rules against extremely front loading a contract? Like could they decide to be pretty much done with free agency signings of note and sign cousins in a way that is like 44 million this year and 20 the next 2 years? We filled true only major hole I saw us filling in free agency, so I'd be very happy if they could make a team friendly contract like that.

I wouldn't think so, because that's player-friendly too.  A backloaded contract is more unfriendly to the player than a front-loaded one.

1 minute ago, Heavydan85 said:

I don't know why there would be provided we stayed under the cap. I'm no expert though. I also am hoping we'll put at least $30+ into year 1. 

1 minute ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Since it's the first day of free agency, can players visit all day today or do they technically need to wait until 3pm CST to visit when FA officially opens?

So could Kirk be here right now or does he have to wait until 3pm?

I believe he could be sitting across the street from the team facility, but isn't allowed to formally visit until 3.

3 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

No rule against it.

We could pay Cousins $82 million this year and $1mil in 2019/2020 and it'd be fine.

True but there would be no benefit to the team. They would only do it if the player demanded more up front money when negotiating. A team could put more up front to make their offer look better than a similar offer with some other team.

3 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Cousins is greatly over paid.  I really don't think he's an improvement over Bridgewater who would've been less expensive.  I just don't understand the hype around Cousins!

You don't understand the hype behind a dude who is:

3rd in completion %

4th in yards

4th in TDs

3rd in Game-winning drives

since 2015?  Do I need to spell it out for you???

Edited by Duff Man

Just now, Duff Man said:

3rd in completion %

4th in yards

4th in TDs

3rd and Game-winning drives

There are 3 kinds of lies...lies, damn lies, and statistics.  Statistics don't tell the whole story.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Duff Man said:

3rd in completion %

4th in yards

4th in TDs

3rd in Game-winning drives

If you don't understand the reservation or hesitation shared by many, that's on you. You don't have to share those reservations, but it doesn't make them any less valid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

True but there would be no benefit to the team. They would only do it if the player demanded more up front money when negotiating. A team could put more up front to make their offer look better than a similar offer with some other team.

Well it'd benefit us to pay more this year and less the next two years when we have UFA's to sign.

5 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Well it'd benefit us to pay more this year and less the next two years when we have UFA's to sign.

That seems to be a common misconception here. It would not benefit the team in any way other than to save them from themselves. The team is far better off paying less up front, banking the difference, rolling over the banked cap space to future years, and then paying it to the player. This is better from a cap flexibility standpoint as well as real dollar issues.

Teams used to front load because rolling cap space from year to year was somewhat tricky. Rules have been changed since then.

Edited by Cearbhall