The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

On 8/20/2018 at 8:31 AM, Krauser said:

He was pretty bad. He looked nervous: decision making seemed hurried and he wasn’t setting his feet.

The OL wasn’t the problem. I don’t think he got hit except for the sack on a naked bootleg where the DE didn’t follow the run action. PFF only charted one throw as being under pressure (aside from the sack), from memory I guess that was the left sideline toward Thielen. Pass blocking in general was fine. 

There were at least 2 makeable throws that Cousins missed for no obvious reason: the 3rd down to Rudolph on the first drive and the short curl he skipped in the dirt to Diggs I think it was. 

His decision making was questionable too. The throw on the first drive that could’ve been picked — it was all short routes, he came off his first read, looked at Diggs (who was open by a step) in the middle of the field but didn’t like that for some reason, then turned and fired at Thielen. Can’t take that long to make a decision in a 3 step game. Also questionable were the 3rd and 7 where he threw a 3 yard pass to Diggs (could’ve been DPi but what’s the point in making that throw) and similarly the throw to Treadwell at the line of scrimmage on 3rd and long. 

Adding Dalvin Cook to the mix will make the run game better, and thus the offense better, but that’s not going to make the QB better. Cousins will need to do much better than that. 

Adding Cook will make the pass game as well. I think Cook will sizzle this year (pun intended). Overall, I agree that Cousins needs to play much better. 

Zimmer:  “I don’t know that he’s ever played with a defense as good as this. He’s had some good receivers, but we have a very talented group there. Hopefully, the running game is good, too. The guy is really accurate, he’s really smart, he can make all the throws. He can throw into really tight windows. Bradford is a terrific thrower, and Kirk throws the ball a lot like him. With Case last year, he kept plays alive scrambling around, but Cousins is a really good thrower.”

http://www.startribune.com/mike-zimmer-opens-up-about-health-retirement-eagles-tony-sparano-quarterbacks-and-what-keeps-him-going/492778961/

Captain Kirk's first game as a Viking is in the books, and he delivered: 20 of 36 for 244 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions. Not bad at all for a new QB learning a new offense. He also rushed four times for 26 yards. Basically he managed the offense without much help from the running game (Cook and Murray combined for just 82 yards) and his passes were largely accurate, despite some key drops by receivers and an offensive breakdown in the fourth quarter. Overall, a good first impression by the 84-million-dollar man.

15 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Captain Kirk's first game as a Viking is in the books, and he delivered: 20 of 36 for 244 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions.

While the stats look very "2017 Keenum" I think yesterday showed the difference between Counsins & Keenum. I don't know if there's 5 QBs in the league that hit on those TD passes to Diggs & Rudolph. Both of those throws didn't have an inch to spare.

I'm excited to see what he can do when he gets some more time to mesh with his WRs (who, in my opinion, didn't look as good as they did last year) and hopefully we can find a running game to help him out a bit.

36 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

While the stats look very "2017 Keenum" I think yesterday showed the difference between Counsins & Keenum. I don't know if there's 5 QBs in the league that hit on those TD passes to Diggs & Rudolph. Both of those throws didn't have an inch to spare.

What's interesting is that Keenum only hit the 240 yards mark 6 times last year.