Jordy Nelson signed. Crabtree cut.

NickButera

4 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

haha yea i worded that weird.
Yes, agreed, Crab doesnt rely on his speed at all....and Nelson relies on it even less. 

Nelson has long speed. He was still separating at the beginning of 2017 at the top of those play action deep routes. I'm going to go back and watch some of his later games this weekend.

54 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

77, 850, 8 were Crabtree's averages during his time here. Hoping Nelson to have a similar type impact...

Interesting when you place a number on Crabtree. For as much value we all place (myself included) into chemistry and knowledge of the system, that is a very replaceable number. A veteran like Nelson should be able to put up something like that without too much difficulty.

Edit, I didn't realize how much better Nelson has done over his career than Crabtree. The numbers since 2011 are startling, granted he's had Rodgers throwing to him, still, the dude's put up crazy good yards and TD numbers. His last 6 played years compared to Crabtree's last 7 played years. 

2l8adj.png

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, true2form said:

"Nelson had 60 percent of his receiving yards and all of his touchdowns in six games before Rodgers was lost with a broken collarbone"

This is what has me excited about the signing.

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/raiders/jon-gruden-pinpoints-several-spots-where-jordy-nelsons-it-factor-will-help-raiders

On 3/16/2018 at 5:35 PM, Rich7sena said:

Nelson has long speed. He was still separating at the beginning of 2017 at the top of those play action deep routes. I'm going to go back and watch some of his later games this weekend.

Saw him split Earl Thomas and another defender for an easy td. I think Brian Baldinger broke it down says he can still play fwiw

Don't forget that the packers traded Huntley in the offseason, it's clear that they didn't think much of him durning Rodger's absence. I'm not saying that Nelson is going to be a breakout player but I do think that Carr can take advantage.

22 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Don't forget that the packers traded Huntley in the offseason, it's clear that they didn't think much of him durning Rodger's absence. I'm not saying that Nelson is going to be a breakout player but I do think that Carr can take advantage.

He wasn't traded. There was a rumor he might be to the Raiders lol.

• 2 months later...

At first I didn't think signing Nelson and cutting Crabs was the right move but now I see the big picture and love it.  On the surface they signed a player in Nelson who is 3 years older than Crabs and has 1 possibly 2 more productive seasons left.  Now we'll dig a bit deeper.

We all know Crabs was a head case and not a vet leader who coaches would want to have guide our younger players.  He was our best WR the last few seasons which was why I was confused as to why they would let him walk for an older WR coming off his worst season.  

Bryant, Crabs and Cooper would have been a nice combo on the field but Crabs is not the type of WR that both these young players should ever want to emulate.  Nelson is a consummate pro, shows up early and leaves late, no drama, has had a HOF type career and will help Coop and Bryant take their games to the next level.  

The signing of Nelson completely makes sense now and I applaud the Raiders for making the switch. While Carbs may have a few more productive years left because of his age the next 1 or 2 years of Nelson teaching our future (MB and Cooper) how to take their games to the next level will be invaluable.  

This is without a doubt the most solid WR core we have had in a very long time and if MB plays as well as I think he can we will have robbed Pitt. of one of the most dominant WR's in the NFL.  Both the additions of MB and JN help Cooper tremendously, he will have his most productive season to date, will spend most of his time in the slot matched up against other teams nickel back.  He should dominate on slants and short routes and I can see 100 catches if he can limit his drops and play 16 games. 

I've always said Coopers best friend would be a WR like MB as Cooper is not an elite number 1 who can shoulder the load by himself, I think that is obvious at this point.  I've always said he would be most dominant in the slot and should be utilized like a bigger version of Randall Cobb in GB.  

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I've always said Coopers best friend would be a WR like MB as Cooper is not an elite number 1 who can shoulder the load by himself, I think that is obvious at this point.  I've always said he would be most dominant in the slot and should be utilized like a bigger version of Randall Cobb in GB.  

That entire post just to end it with your continued rhetoric about Amari Cooper....

It's not obvious at this point. He's show he can take over a game when involved early and often. He's 23 years old and hasn't had consistent offense coaching to approach his ceiling as a player.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

That entire post just to end it with your continued rhetoric about Amari Cooper....

It's not obvious at this point. He's show he can take over a game when involved early and often. He's 23 years old and hasn't had consistent offense coaching to approach his ceiling as a player.

Coop is still young but needs to start showing more.  He was limited because of the horrible coaching last year but this year he needs to take a step forward.  I personally think he will because Gruden will recognize how easily he beats his man all the time.  I see 1300-1450 yards with double digit TDs if we stay healthy.  The only issue I see is if he does not get his catch percentage back to 2016 levels or higher he may be used as a decoy more often than not.  Hopefully everyone on the staff realizes that if you get him going early he will take over a game.

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Haha and the excuses continue...  It was the coaching, no wait it was Crabs fault, hold on it was Carr's fault for not trusting him or getting him the ball, one more...  it was the OC's fault because we all know Cooper is a HOF type WR who has been ignored because everyone has a vendetta against him being a great elite WR. 

Total homer talk and I love it.  Gruden knows exactly who Cooper is which is exactly my description of him day 1 and the reason he went out and got MB.  MB will be seeing the other teams number 1 corners, will see the double teams and has true elite number 1 skills.  Cooper will certainly benefit from MB being here and his numbers will show it, it's the trickle down effect.  Cooper should have his best statical year to date but that will be attributed to how he is being used and not having to face the number 1 CB's who have shut him down more than not over the last 2 years.  Does Cooper have some good games, sure but he also disappears for games on end.  If he was as dominant as you claim they would find ways of getting him the ball and you would not have to come up with lame excuses as to why he has underwhelmed so far in his career. 

Randall Cobb has had some statically dominant seasons but we all know he is not a true number one who can beat double teams consistently.   Cooper is a slightly bigger version of Cobb and that is exactly how Gruden will use him.  My guess is 90ish catches and around 1100 yards.  

Archived