Free agency reset — Wave 2

Klomp

11 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

There doesn’t have to be a full statistical analysis here to identify that a kicker who’s only been allowed to attempt 17 Field Goals in his career over 50 yards (over half of those this year, probably due to the fact we play in a dome) doesn’t have the strongest leg. Justin Tucker has been allotted that many attempts in just the last two years.

It’s also pretty evident from watching his 50+ yard misses - they come from trying to over-kick the ball.  

Forbath has also struggled with the adjustment to the extra point distance by going 45/53 the last two years.... near, or at, the bottom of the league. There are kickers with a greater make percentage beyond 50 yards than Forbath has on extra points. 

Everyone hates on Blair Walsh, and rightfully so, but his rookie year he was 10/10 over 50 including a game winner in OT week one of the season, and three 50+ yarders in one game against the Rams to help put the game out of reach. Having a kicker who can routinely convert on those long field goal attempts is a weapon, and for a defensively driven team something that can make a difference. 

Of course there doesn't have to be a "fully credible" statistical analysis if you're interested in another kicker - who is apparently better without looking at his stats.  But who are you suggesting whose stats aren't needed to consider a switch/ open competition in TC?  I've read about no other draft prospect (other than what might have been written overnight) to date.  I agree that competition should be signed per a UDFA or a late round pick.

As regards Forbath's 17 attempts over 50 yds (the NFL stats long-shorter split varies from your 'long kick' standard of over 55 yds) over 6 years in the NFL; that amounts to 3 per season, of which he converts 2 on average.  His 64.7% career percentage on those kicks falls one converted kick short (11 of 17) of being 12 for 18; i.e. 2 out of 3 (66.7%), overall.

http://www.nfl.com/player/kaiforbath/2495150/careerstats

Note that 10 of his 17 attempts occurred during 2016-17, his two years with the Vikings, which compares to 7 of the 17 over the 4 prior seasons.  It seems he is being used differently by Minnesota than Washington and NO on kicks over 50 yds., although 17 kicks over 6 years isn't conclusive evidence.

His overall percentage conversion rate on FGs is 86% (116/135).  I doubt that's significantly below the NFL average. 

His FG conversion rate percentage as a Viking is 89% (47/53). 

His worst year, FG percentage-wise was split between two teams, Washington (1 game; 1 for 2) and NO (10 games; 9 for 13) when his conversion rate was [ (9+1) / (2+13) ] = 66.7% overall.  The reason Washington released him is unknown to me.  I assume a better option was available, or he was injured and wasn't brought back.

The PAT conversion rate in the NFL dropped when the rule changed, but I forgot what year that happened.  His conversion rate was 124/127 = 97.6% for 2012-2015, and 45/53 = 84.9% during his two years as a Viking.  But, using a career PAT conversion percentage as a benchmark to compare vet NFL kickers creates a bias against younger kickers versus older kickers who began their careers before the PAT rule change.

I believe the overall FG conversion rate is much more important than long kicks over 55 yds or 50 yds.  How many/ what percentage of NFL kickers convert more than 86% or 89% of all attempts?  How many kickers miss a 22 yd kick that results in losing a playoff game?  Regardless, let the TC competition begin... if a worthy competitor can be found!

Kai Forbath told the Pioneer Press on Tuesday he has signed a one-year contract that is “in the mail.” Forbath wouldn’t give a precise figure but said he received a “small” raise from the $775,000 he made last season. 

Forbath: “We both mutually agreed we wanted to make it happen, and it did. I’m happy to be back for another year. I think the team has a lot of potential and a great future, and I’m glad to be a part of it.”

Forbath will be reunited with quarterback Kirk Cousins, whom he played with in Washington from 2012-15.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/20/kicker-kai-forbath-to-re-sign-with-vikings/

2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

How much would Hurns cost? Wouldn't mind bring him in as a #3.

I think that would be a waste of money.  I don’t think that Hurns is very good and we need to give Treadwell a chance to see what he can do in a larger role.  I think Cayleb Jones who is already on the roster is as good or better than Hurns.  If we are really wanting another veteran WR we could probably resign Michael Floyd who is also better than Hurns for less money than Hurns too.

42 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

I think that would be a waste of money.  I don’t think that Hurns is very good and we need to give Treadwell a chance to see what he can do in a larger role.  I think Cayleb Jones who is already on the roster is as good or better than Hurns.  If we are really wanting another veteran WR we could probably resign Michael Floyd who is also better than Hurns for less money than Hurns too.

Yeah...I wouldn't be in a rush to sign a veteran receiver this year.  Would rather go with young guys behind Thielen, Diggs and Treadwell.

I'd absolutely bring Hurns in. He's another receiver that can play in the slot and outside, and, at worst, could be an injury fill in for Diggs or Thielen who've both shown that they'll miss at least a little time due to injury. Hurns himself has an injury issue, but if he were to come in around the $1.4M that Floyd did this year I would sign him.

40 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

No reason to give up on Treadwell. He'll play a bigger role in this offense most likely, and he looked good when we threw his way last season. 

I'm glad Forbath is back, but we should bring in competition again like last year.

I wouldn't give up on Treadwell either but he isn't someone that I would want to be counting on...kind of like Stephen Weatherly, Mackensie Alexander, Eric Wilson, Jaleel Johnson, Jack Tocho, or Rashod Hill. There is hope for these guys but the team needs to have a contingency plan for the reality that some of them will never pan out and be able to assume a greater role.

We saw that the team already went out in got Sheldon Richardson rather than resting on the hope of Jaleel Johnson development. I would like to think they are keeping their eyes open for options to replace other question marks with more sure things -- especially when it comes to starting roles and third WR is a fairly important starting role in today's NFL. It is easier to slow play the LBer position where the team will not be asking, sans injury, Eric Wilson to step into a starting position until next year if at all. That time is now for WR. It isn't the greatest need (*cough* OL *cough*) but third WR is an area of immediate need.

I do not know that Allen Hurns is the answer to that need but it seems pretty reasonable to explore the option now that he is an available non-compensatory free agent. I would hope the team is also evaluating the possibility of bringing in Kendall Wright or Jordan Matthews to compete for the third WR job.

10 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

I'd absolutely bring Hurns in. He's another receiver that can play in the slot and outside, and, at worst, could be an injury fill in for Diggs or Thielen who've both shown that they'll miss at least a little time due to injury. Hurns himself has an injury issue, but if he were to come in around the $1.4M that Floyd did this year I would sign him.

If Ryan Grant got $5 million after a failed physical  (whether it was legit or not) and Moncrief got $9.5 million, I don't see how Hurns doesn't get at least  $7-8 million.

9 hours ago, vikestyle said:

If Ryan Grant got $5 million after a failed physical  (whether it was legit or not) and Moncrief got $9.5 million, I don't see how Hurns doesn't get at least  $7-8 million.

That's probably true, and it makes it easy just to let him go somewhere else - far too much for a WR who hasn't cracked 500 yards the last two years and hasn't played 16 games since his rookie year.

Archived