Free agency reset — Wave 2

Klomp

6 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

No surprise here. This is a smart move by our front office.  Floyd is still a talented WR that could catch on with some other team.  At this point he likely looking for a larger role and a bigger contract than what we should pay for a 4th WR.  If he catches on with another team then great for him, but if he is still unsigned after a few more months or weeks then maybe his price will drop.  Then I could see our front office think about bringing him back.

1 hour ago, rpmwr19 said:

No, but some have said he’s earned the right to be unchallenged for the position. 

I guess it just depends on what you feel is a level of play necessary for a player to be unchallenged. My level is probably lower, especially at a position like kicker.

I don't feel Forbath was bad enough last year to have to now fight for his job.

Not sure on the kicker FA market but Forbath is a middle of the road kicker. He's not top 10 nor is he bottom 10. I don't think there's any kickers out there that make you think "Well, he's an upgrade." And with these middle of the road kickers, the Devil you know is better than the Devil you don't know.

He showed he could be trusted to make high pressure kicks in the playoffs vs. the Saints and showed more consistency towards the end of the season. Let him be the guy unchallenged and bring someone in if he starts missing again.

10 hours ago, Purplexing said:

WR seems to now be at least a medium priority in the draft.

Absolutely.

You are looking at going into next year with,

Thielen locked up, this year may be Treadwells “last chance”, and two completely unknowns in Coley & Jones. There is no way they depend on that. Anywhere after round 3 is not out of the possibility to draft a WR.

NFL teams average almost 70% of the time 3 WR’s on the field. About the same as a slot corner. 

That #4 WR/CB position are both important spots it seems. At least here in Minnesota. Diggs/Thielen both battle injuries, and Treadwell is unproven. Rhodes and Wayne’s both miss time, and even Alexander has a slight injury bug late last season.

Great teams seem to have solid depth at OL/DL, WR/CB.... just look at the two Super Bowl teams last year

We need to rebuild some depth on this team.

Cousins canceled out Bradford, Richardson canceled out McKinnon. Compton changed nothing.

We just lost Tom Johnson and Jeremiah Sirles. We can probably sign 2 more free agents and still have 4 comp picks next year.

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Absolutely.

You are looking at going into next year with,

Thielen locked up, this year may be Treadwells “last chance”, and two completely unknowns in Coley & Jones. There is no way they depend on that. Anywhere after round 3 is not out of the possibility to draft a WR.

NFL teams average almost 70% of the time 3 WR’s on the field. About the same as a slot corner. 

That #4 WR/CB position are both important spots it seems. At least here in Minnesota. Diggs/Thielen both battle injuries, and Treadwell is unproven. Rhodes and Wayne’s both miss time, and even Alexander has a slight injury bug late last season.

Great teams seem to have solid depth at OL/DL, WR/CB.... just look at the two Super Bowl teams last year

One thing I forgot about for the draft is the substitution of a top TE (drafted, but possibly via trade or post-pre-season cuts) in lieu of drafting a WR ... after OL, CB in rd 1, 2. 

A receiver is a receiver, so another TE should be brought into camp to, hopefully, improve the receiving corp.  Does Cousins have an affinity for throwing to TEs more so than typical pro QBs?

If a WR is drafted in late rounds, I'd prefer a WR/KR/PR type guy.  Perhaps a TE in rd 3, then WR in rd 6 or 7? 

47 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Does Cousins have an affinity for throwing to TEs more so than typical pro QBs?

Well yes, but he was throwing to two of the most athletic TE’s ever. Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis. Pretty easy to always target the big fast guys getting covered by linebackers that can’t keep up, or CB’s that are outsized. 

It’s also easy to have an affinity for throwing to tight ends when you don’t have much in terms of outside talent - when he had talented wide outs to throw to in Garçon and Jackson he did so. 

13 hours ago, Klomp said:

I guess it just depends on what you feel is a level of play necessary for a player to be unchallenged. My level is probably lower, especially at a position like kicker.

I don't feel Forbath was bad enough last year to have to now fight for his job.

Problem is, he wasn’t GOOD enough last year to go unchallenged (unless bottom half of the league in FG% and near last is XP% is good enough for you). Not to mention there’s zero harm in dedicating a 90 man roster spot to an extra kicker as it’s unlikely that a position player given that spot is going to make the roster anyway. 

The fact that the Vikings gave him the absolute minimum shows exactly how confident they are in him as well. 

17 hours ago, Purplexing said:

Or, more likely, how good the team is, and their improved chance of winning SB LIII.

A guy barely making teams is going to take under market pay to stay here? This isn't a guy that has made lifetime money. If he was great, or really good, some team would have offered double that, no?

Archived