Free agency reset — Wave 2

Klomp

Spielman has traded up at least as often as down in the draft. 

Since 2012, his 1st year of full control as GM, Spielman has traded up for Smith, Patterson, Bridgewater, David Morgan, Cook and Elflein. Mostly good results there. 

Traded down and still picked Kalil, Barr, Hunter, Diggs, and Jaleel Johnson with picks after trading down. Much of the extra picks added didn’t work out (Yankey was the reward for moving down a spot before drafting Barr, for instance), but they did get some value in return like Jarius Wright (extra pick from trading down before taking Kalil) and Shamar Stephen (added a 7th round pick by trading down twice from the 5th to the 6th and taking Exum). 

Spielman also traded out of the 2016 3rd round pick entirely, netting the Dolphins 2017 3rd and 4th, capital he used a year later to trade up for Cook and Elflein. 

By far Spielman’s worst draft as GM was 2016, when he made the fewest trades. 

The only value of 7th round picks in my eyes are you can take guys from outside the region that will be guys you are uncertain your able to sign as a UDFA. 

They also can sometimes be cheaper than a UDFA.

or

... if you would really want to take a deep risk on a player. But even then, most of those type players are gone by the 7th round.

9 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Why? I mean, I'm not sure there are legit starters left or not, but this seems like a good year to maker the roster the best it can be. 

It's also about trying to resign some of our young studs and roll over some cap to next year to continue to do that very thing. We need inexpensive depth. It seems we have 1 or mayyybe 2 open spots on the oline (if they don't like Easton). We don't need more starters. Our roster will most likely be filled out with rookies and vet minimum guys. Possibly a guy like Newman could be the exception. I get wanting to make the roster the best it can be right now, but if we spend our resources on a couple extra free agents now we will do it at the expense of a Barr, Hunter, Diggs, or Kendricks. I'm not willing to do that for any remaining free agents.

12 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Why? I mean, I'm not sure there are legit starters left or not, but this seems like a good year to maker the roster the best it can be. 

Sacrificing cap rollover for 2019 free agents just to acquire overpriced FAs remaining on the market doesn't seem like a good strategy for the future.

I only see one open starting spot and that is at RT (assuming Remmers starts at RG).

There are a number of depth spots that could use help, mainly RB3, WR4, TE3, OL, NT2, OLB3, and CB4.

id maybe look to add a backup LB and CB in free agency but the rest of the needs will have to be filled by rookies to save cap for next offseason.

Kendall Wright's pretty good, would be a solid signing. They really need a competent vet WR3. I don't expect anything from Treadwell and they can't go into the year with Stacy Coley as their 4th most experienced WR.  

Seems weird that they didn't just keep Jarius, if they're looking for a veteran WR -- releasing him cost $2M in dead money against the cap this year, and only saved $3M in cap space. I guess they see Kendall as an upgrade over Jarius. 

15 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Kendall Wright's pretty good, would be a solid signing. They really need a competent vet WR3. I don't expect anything from Treadwell and they can't go into the year with Stacy Coley as their 4th most experienced WR.  

Seems weird that they didn't just keep Jarius, if they're looking for a veteran WR -- releasing him cost $2M in dead money against the cap this year, and only saved $3M in cap space. I guess they see Kendall as an upgrade over Jarius. 

$3 million is a significant amount if it meant the difference between getting or not getting someone like Richardson.

16 minutes ago, Klomp said:

$3 million is a significant amount if it meant the difference between getting or not getting someone like Richardson.

Except we know that’s not the case... even if we still had Jarius we’d be around $17M in cap space. 

Archived