Those that don’t want a RB at four

hornbybrown

Just now, GongKong said:

I actually love San Diego. My wife would move there tonight. 

My Dad lives there. It's kinda a slice of Heaven.  But how do you have seething anger and justifiable rage living in paradise? How I ask ya?

You ask this question on a Browns forum?

On 3/17/2018 at 9:59 PM, TheeRealDeal said:

I always love a good challenge.

Junior Seau #5 Overall LB in 1990 Super Bowl in 1994
Willie McGinest #4 Overall DE in 1994 Super Bowl in 1996, 2001, 2003, 2004
Jonathan Ogden #4 Overall OT in 1996 Super Bowl in 2000
Orlando Pace #1 Overall OT in 1997 Super Bowl in 1999
Peter Boulware #4 Overall LB in 1997 Super Bowl in 2000
Charles Woodson #4 Overall CB in 1998 Super Bowl in 2002
Julius Peppers #2 Overall DE in 2002 Super Bowl in 2003
Larry Fitzgerald #3 Overall WR in 2004 Super Bowl in 2009
Von Miller #2 Overall LB in 2011 Super Bowl in 2013, 2015
Lane Johnson #4 Overall OT in 2013 Super Bowl in 2017

Just on the outside of Top 5
Walter Jones #6 Overall OT in 1997 Super Bowl in 2005
Richard Seymour #6 Overall DL in 2001 Super Bowl in 2001, 2003, 2004
Russell Okung #6 Overall OT in 2010 Super Bowl in 2013, 2014
Jake Matthews #6 Overall OT in 2014 Super Bowl in 2016

Seems to me like history heavily favors drafting an OT in the Top 5 being that  6 Top 6 offensive lineman have played in 7 Super Bowls. Pass rusher certainly make a strong case as well with Peppers, Seymour, McGinest, Boulware, and Miller pulling in a ridiculous 11 Super Bowls and Junior Seau was no slouch getting after the passer either even though I'd consider him a 100% off the ball linebacker. Only 1 DB and 1 WR on the list as well.

Well I guess this quick little research just provides even more proof than ever that winning football is all about winning the trenches.

and the RBs to do it BTW

Jamal Lewis #5 Overall RB in 2000 Super Bowl in 2000
Reggie Bush #2 Overall RB in 2006 Super Bowl in 2009

Bush was a middling factor in that championship team and Lewis had one of the greatest defensive ever to help him as well as probably a Top 8 all time offensive line in front of him.

You listed a bunch of guys who were contributors but all rode other more impactful units/players to their respective SB's.  For example, saying the patriots rode Willie McGinest to the SB when they had the greatest QB and head coach in the history of the game is utter stupidity.  I don't even have to break down the others for you after that one.  Sorry one more...Jonathan Ogden?  That Baltimore Defense with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed and company led them to the title not big boy Ogden, sure he was a contributor but again to say they rode him to the SB is just nonsense.  

On 3/17/2018 at 10:27 PM, Bonanza23 said:

Can someone show me good examples of Barkley showing good between the tackles vision?  Or examples of him breaking first contact?

Have you not seen any of his hundreds of highlight reels?  Lots of runs there is no contact at all because he's either hurdling the man or scorching past him or breaking his ankles.  When you have the type of game speed and quickness and burst like him, you don't always have to break tackles to take it to the house.  He is a TD waiting to happen.  And Balance?...he's one of the most balanced backs ive ever seen.  He hurdled an Iowa guy, took a hit in the air and still came down and got 10 more yards.  I think you're just choosing to not see the greatness.  

And I've people argue that it's a passing league now...well I agree but today's RB is a huge part of that passing attack.  Barkley is a matchup nightmare for a LB, his hands are soft and he can run routes like a receiver.  He's the total package and I don't understand some of the hate for him..

Nelson isn’t a Tackle though he’s a guard. If there was a premier LT in this draft I don’t think there would be a question he’d be the pick at 4. Barkley is easily my favorite player in this draft in my opinion his the perfect prospect on and off the field. Just in our position RB isn’t the final piece to start our run at Chips or even playoffs. We need to shore up QB,LT, and CB. Three positions more critical then a RB  now I wouldn’t be upset with Chubb because I feel he could help the CB so if he was the pick I’d be fine. Barkely I wouldn’t be upset with either I just think we need to grab Chubb,Ward,Fitz if they believe he can play outside. Nelson if he can play LT then Barkley 

I agree he has great balance. But he goes down on first contact quite a bit. Either he has to make you miss or he’s going down. I also don’t think he has great vision. I’ve seen him Richardson it more than once. 

Btw I think he’s a great back and will probably have success in the league. I just dont see him as a generational talent worthy of number one. 

16 hours ago, Fofsadness said:

You listed a bunch of guys who were contributors but all rode other more impactful units/players to their respective SB's.  For example, saying the patriots rode Willie McGinest to the SB when they had the greatest QB and head coach in the history of the game is utter stupidity.  I don't even have to break down the others for you after that one.  Sorry one more...Jonathan Ogden?  That Baltimore Defense with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed and company led them to the title not big boy Ogden, sure he was a contributor but again to say they rode him to the SB is just nonsense.  

Didn't know Ed Reed led the Jonathan Ogden to a Super Bowl while he was still playing for Miami in college. Pretty cool stuff though. Learn something every day I guess.

No one single player in the history of football has ever led a team to a Super Bowl including QBs. You need a core of good players to lead a team that far and all you jackasses arguing the solid historical results I posted are missing the entire point. You all are the one making this a one many only argument. The data clearly shows that that vast majority high picks having the most success as part of a core Super Bowl team are clearly Pass Rushers and OTs and RBs are no where close to the top. You can even find numerous cases were elite RBs had franchise QBs and still couldn't get to the big show such as LaDainian Tomlinson and Brees/Rivers and how about this one because it is simply the greatest. Edgerrin James could never help lead his Colts to the Super Bowl even with the aide of Peyton Manning, yet once Edge was gone Manning was able to reach the Super Bowl 3 more times in his career. Why? Because the teams team he was on invested more heavily in pass rushers, OL, DB and WR.

6 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Didn't know Ed Reed led the Jonathan Ogden to a Super Bowl while he was still playing for Miami in college. Pretty cool stuff though. Learn something every day I guess.

No one single player in the history of football has ever led a team to a Super Bowl including QBs. You need a core of good players to lead a team that far and all you jackasses arguing the solid historical results I posted are missing the entire point. You all are the one making this a one many only argument. The data clearly shows that that vast majority high picks having the most success as part of a core Super Bowl team are clearly Pass Rushers and OTs and RBs are no where close to the top. You can even find numerous cases were elite RBs had franchise QBs and still couldn't get to the big show such as LaDainian Tomlinson and Brees/Rivers and how about this one because it is simply the greatest. Edgerrin James could never help lead his Colts to the Super Bowl even with the aide of Peyton Manning, yet once Edge was gone Manning was able to reach the Super Bowl 3 more times in his career. Why? Because the teams team he was on invested more heavily in pass rushers, OL, DB and WR.

I agree 100% with all of this comment except for about quarterbacks leading their teams to Super Bowl, which I do believe is the case. To me, Tom Brady very much is the reason why the Patriots continuously return to the Super Bowl. His team is often very average around him, and yet we see him so often. The same thing can be said about teams like the Green Bay Packers with Rodgers or the Colts when they had Peyton Manning. Without these players, the teams were very below-average, and yet these teams were consistently in the playoffs. But yeah, the NFL is a team game and the better the team is, the better the likelihood of sustained winning.

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

I agree 100% with all of this comment except for about quarterbacks leading their teams to Super Bowl, which I do believe is the case. To me, Tom Brady very much is the reason why the Patriots continuously return to the Super Bowl. His team is often very average around him, and yet we see him so often. The same thing can be said about teams like the Green Bay Packers or the Colts when they had Peyton Manning. Without these players, the teams were very below-average, and yet these teams were consistently in the playoffs. But yeah, the NFL is a team game and the better the team is, the better the likelihood of sustained winning.

Except his first 3 super bowls were loaded on defense as well as offensive line. He then went through the Randy Moss era and now Rob Gronkowski. It is not like he has a completely barren roster. He also has hands down the single greatest coach of all time behind him who puts into place the best games plans of the last 20 years and is the mastermind behind putting his players in specific roles to get the most out of them. Without BB at the helm Tom Brady would never had 1/2 the success he has had.

Even if we were to say Tom Brady did highhandedly lead his team to Super Bowls then he would be the only one to have ever done so making him the ultimate outlier.

Also I am pretty sure the argument at hands is if Saquan Barkley is worth the pick at #4 which means we would have already taken our QB at #1. The debate is clearly RB vs the Other positions at this point which historical evidence clearly shows the best way to go is Pass Rusher and OT.

Archived