This Ain't Raider Talk Baby!

RaidersAreOne

14 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

One of the biggest reasons for America’s problems

I am currently laid off so my job is homeschooling.  Kids are getting a lesson in what real life is.  I teach them their normal school material but am introducing them to subjects they wouod not get until college.  So many useful things that the public schools do not go over.  This is not the schools fault because they have to teach 25-30 kids at the same time but when you are an active parent you can teach them 10x more and touch on real life issues.  My five year old for some reason is really interested in the current virus so I have been teaching him about illness and medicine.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I am currently laid off so my job is homeschooling.  Kids are getting a lesson in what real life is.  I teach them their normal school material but am introducing them to subjects they wouod not get until college.  So many useful things that the public schools do not go over.  This is not the schools fault because they have to teach 25-30 kids at the same time but when you are an active parent you can teach them 10x more and touch on real life issues.  My five year old for some reason is really interested in the current virus so I have been teaching him about illness and medicine.

I’m glad to hear!  And yes parents must supplement the school’s teachings.

one thing I think schools should have in their curriculums is financial literacy... ie opening up a bank account, saving money, paying bills, investing, budgeting, how much something costs in the end when you buy it on credit card and Pay the minimum.

even educated children are sent to college without any of this unless their parents teach them.  My mother dragged us to every museum and educational thing possible but she never taught us financial literacy.  It ends up costing you a lot to not have this info.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m glad to hear!  And yes parents must supplement the school’s teachings.

one thing I think schools should have in their curriculums is financial literacy... ie opening up a bank account, saving money, paying bills, investing, budgeting, how much something costs in the end when you buy it on credit card and Pay the minimum.

even educated children are sent to college without any of this unless their parents teach them.  My mother dragged us to every museum and educational thing possible but she never taught us financial literacy.  It ends up costing you a lot to not have this info.  

Spot on.  My mom was just telling my sister how she wished someone would have taught her about money so she could have taught my sister and myself.    I am teaching my kids now but it is difficult to keep there attention.  I am waiting for Disney stock to drop a little so I can buy a share for each of them so they feel invested and at the same time a company they are interested in.  I was joking with my wife about investing $100 for each kid right now.  She thought I was crazy until I showed her the power of compound interest from 5 to 65.  Might have to wait a couple months to start but for now I will teach them.  Youtube is a great source for teaching kids this stuff.

1 hour ago, daineraider said:

That’s on the parents, lots of parents send their kids to school as a form of daycare and don’t pay attention to the school aspect. 

Yep, ridiculous. Before my work closed down a few days ago, a few co-workers of mine were throwing a fit school was out and they had to watch their kids all day... utterly ridiculous. School is not daycare. 

13 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Spot on.  My mom was just telling my sister how she wished someone would have taught her about money so she could have taught my sister and myself.    I am teaching my kids now but it is difficult to keep there attention.  I am waiting for Disney stock to drop a little so I can buy a share for each of them so they feel invested and at the same time a company they are interested in.  I was joking with my wife about investing $100 for each kid right now.  She thought I was crazy until I showed her the power of compound interest from 5 to 65.  Might have to wait a couple months to start but for now I will teach them.  Youtube is a great source for teaching kids this stuff.

My Grandpa put 500 in 5 different stocks when I was born 1971. Those were worth over 50,000 by the time I was 18. More importantly was that it got me to look at a newspaper once a week to see what it was doing. (it exposed me to a different world) Two of them had dividends and so I started to understand that. In 6th grade we had a class on creating a company and I laid out my plans of taking it public and paying dividends. My teacher was like WTF LOL Those companies I didn't have interest in other than understanding what I owned. Disney would be GREAT as the kids would pay even more attention to it than I did and it opens doors to improving one's environment.

PS Had I not blown those stocks between 18-22 years old One of those stocks was sued and is worth nothing now Texas Oil and Gas, Kmart went bankrupt so worth 0, I sold both before they went to 0 and made a few thousand on each. Also a banana company bond that was cashed out for 3,000. Now all of that sounds like 'why' but my PPG was 100 shares that split into 200 that split to 400 that split to 800 (where I sold around 60 per share) and then split once more and I would have had 1600 shares. Those shares were over 130 each just two months ago. That would be worth over 200,000.00 but 118-128K this past week...Had I held. Took a decade off from investing but came back in 2008 and did great after getting crushed but not giving up. I actually do better in down markets because I'm willing to take risks cause I know if I hit 1 or 2 out of 5 it's a home run...

• Like 3

17 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Personal finance should be a requirement. The amount of people who don't understand basic finance is incredible. People need to learn how mortgages work, interest rates, etc. 60% of Americans don't have $400 in their bank account. So when faced with any adversity, they are crushed. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

As previously mentioned investing is great for kids for all the reasons discussed plus the simple fact it teaches them that buying that toy today they’ll grow old of my tommorrow could be a nice chunk of change for something better in the future.

Exactly. Instead, they are taught to buy the toy and it becomes learned behavior. The toys get bigger as life goes on. And then we learn we can buy them now on our credit cards. And we have no savings and mountains of debt. 

Learning to delay gratification is one of the single best things you can teach a kid. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Exactly. Instead, they are taught to buy the toy and it becomes learned behavior. The toys get bigger as life goes on. And then we learn we can buy them now on our credit cards. And we have no savings and mountains of debt. 

Learning to delay gratification is one of the single best things you can teach a kid. 

It has become the way of life for not only the people in this country but the companies and government.  I think if this current cycle was/is allowed to play out, not likely, we will see a paradigm shift in the attitudes of the people when it comes to consumerism.  Some will do it no matter what but enough to impact society itself could happen.  Someday governments will realize that their job is to soften the blow and not to stop it from happening.  Just like forestry.  You have to let the fire burn to get rid of the underbrush and this leads to nutrient rich soil for new life to grow.

• Like 2

damn , I got a ways to go.lol…..and im also in no hurry. I definitely agree with the above, basic pyschology is another thing to teach, maybe not to 5 yr olds but maybe a senior class BEFORE you go off to college or the adult world. imo this would help a lot of young adults.