Can the Giants seriously pass on a QB at 2??!!

brownie man

What will the Giants end up doing?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Giants do?

• Stay at 2 and select their young Franchise QB
    • Stay at 2 and draft Barkley or Nelson to go along with their 37 year old declining QB
    • Trade down and fill holes and build for the future while filling the needs of the present

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

honestly, being a cleveland fan living in NY and interacting with NY giants fans on a regular basis, i hope to god they select saquon barkley.  next year when they're picking like 5 overall and they have to spend multiple first round picks to get the QB they want instead of josh rosen or sam darnold, i will have no qualms laughing in their face.  the faith in davis webb is almost cleveland-browns-fan circa 2002-2014 like.

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

like we've done this dance.  this dance doesnt end well if you take the RB.

the cowboys and to an extent the jags disagree, and darnold and rosen aren't worth the first overall

smart cleveland takes barkley at one and baker "actually best of the quarterbacks on the board" mayfield with the fourth

3 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

boy do i love loaded questions

i guarantee you if you worded it "select barkley to go with their two time super bowl winning QB" option two would have more votes

It would still be the wrong move 

dude is 37 that’s a fact hasn’t won a playoff game since 2011

There’s no way he isn’t declining 

I grew up a big Eli fan 

Plaxico Burress Shockley Toomer

cheered for them 

but you gotta live in reality Eli is going downhill go get your franchise Rosen is right there 

Just now, Shady Slim said:

the cowboys and to an extent the jags disagree, and darnold and rosen aren't worth the first overall

smart cleveland takes barkley at one and baker "actually best of the quarterbacks on the board" mayfield with the fourth

I thought about the Browns taking two QBs but even with the cap, they won't get reps with Tyrod Taylor as your starter. Maybe use one as leverage for later in the draft, potentially landing a number one next year plus additional high picks this year, but I think the deal would already be made with the Bills/Broncos at that point for #4. Browns need O-line with Thomas retired as well.

17 minutes ago, brownie man said:

but you gotta live in reality Eli is going downhill go get your franchise Rosen is right there 

Hot take - Rosen is a slower Ryan Tannehill. He'll be good enough to hold a starting gig, might even have some successful moments, but everyone will be questioning whether or not you give him a 5th year.

The Giants will be in luck if they get Josh Allen - he'll bust REALLY quickly, so there won't be any questions when the 5th year extension is on the table.

Who the options are is just as important as what position they play. You have one potential franchise guys, then three lottery tickets/guys who need the absolutely perfect situation to succeed (which the Giants do not have).

Barkley and Nelson, on the other hand - cash in hand, will succeed regardless of situation.

1 hour ago, Shady Slim said:

the jaguars used a top 3 selection on their QB?

there is nothing smart about taking saquon barkley at 1.  like.  absolutely nothing smart about it.  

38 minutes ago, mistakey said:

the jaguars used a top 3 selection on their QB?

Technically, yes. Nearly got them derailed until they focused on defense and run game to correct their course.

10 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Technically, yes. Nearly got them derailed until they focused on defense and run game to correct their course.

technically? they did.  and it was only 4 years ago.  he's still on his first contract?!?  nearly isnt even correct- the guy threw 35 touchdowns two years ago on a bad team.  now the guy won a lot of games on a good team.  

now you're even making my case.  suppose the Giants are actually a good team (likely the giants fans will tell us that as well).  take the young quarterback and put him on the good team instead of the old declining quarterback and you win games.

6 minutes ago, mistakey said:

it literally blows my mind that any giants fan wants to pass on a qb

its like they've been given a free pass out of finding-your-quarterback-hell

and they want to give it to the jets for some god awful reason

It's like getting a Manning from the draft eventually spins you right back into contention for another good QB prospect

2 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

It's like getting a Manning from the draft eventually spins you right back into contention for another good QB prospect

Quick does Peyton have a son and does he play quarterback we should draft him 

18 minutes ago, mistakey said:

it literally blows my mind that any giants fan wants to pass on a qb

its like they've been given a free pass out of finding-your-quarterback-hell

and they want to give it to the jets for some god awful reason

Drafting the wrong QB could also set the franchise back quite a bit.  It seems to be a 50/50 proposition.  Meanwhile, running backs that are drafted in the top 10 seem to have higher success rates (Trent Richardson being the major exception).   Again, i think we should draft a QB too.  Just playing devil's advocate.

36 minutes ago, mistakey said:

technically? they did.  and it was only 4 years ago.  he's still on his first contract?!?  nearly isnt even correct- the guy threw 35 touchdowns two years ago on a bad team.  now the guy won a lot of games on a good team.  

now you're even making my case.  suppose the Giants are actually a good team (likely the giants fans will tell us that as well).  take the young quarterback and put him on the good team instead of the old declining quarterback and you win games.

Please don't try to paint Bortles as a good QB. Had it not been for Ramsey, Bouye and Fournette, he'd go down as yet another failed top 5 pick. That 35 TD season was during a 5-11 campaign, pretty much centered around garbage stats while down 3+ TDs. 

Hell, the rumor was that Eli was going to be traded to Jax to supplant Bortles, and that was going to be the move to push Jax to a SB contender...

I have no dog in this fight, but I'll tell you - Giants aren't good. Eli played a part in their horrible season, but if you don't think this team has a lot of holes, you're really optimistic. This is a BAD team. 

Unless you're looking at a Luck or a Wentz type QB (which NONE of these guys are) you're only asking for more failure by putting an OK QB into a bad situation. 

11 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Drafting the wrong QB could also set the franchise back quite a bit

Bingo. I'd argue this is worse than passing on a QB - getting a guy who just tanks out at the pro level (which is a real possibility for each of these guys - none of them really come off as a safe bet).

Archived