JPP traded to Tampa

WizardHawk

2 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

They could trade down with the Broncos at 5 and still get him.

Exactly. The first four picks will be 3 qbs and Barkley.  If the Giants want Chubb, Nelson or anyone else, they’d be silly to stay at #2.  Ultimately I think it will still be a qb at #2.

27 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Really? He rushed from a 3-point stance almost exclusively in Miami. Has he been standing up more in NY? Is he looking like a cap casualty in 2019?

Spags sometimes had him rushing the passer from his normal spot, just off the line a bit and in a 2 point stance rather than with a hand in the dirt. Its not like he was lining up as a backer. You can pick any Giants game he has played in and you will see it a couple times. I don't have the statistics, but he is definitely more effective that way from what I've seen. 

He could be a cap casualty next year. I don't think there is any dead money if we cut him after this year. It all depends how he does in the new defense and if we have someone to replace him, I would think. I'd put the odds at 50-50 right now that he is a Giant in 2019. He's been good for us ever since we signed him though.

Hate to be that guy...but I guess I’m the only one that thinks TB gave up way too much? JPP isn’t very good anymore.

Only thing that I dislike from the Giants’ side is the dead cap. Other than that, to get a third from a relatively unproductice, older, expensive player is crazy. 

2 hours ago, Crickett said:

Maybe they want to draft Quenton Nelson or Saquon Barkley at #7.  Even if Chubb wasn't going to be there, Davenport would have been.  

From what I understand, Wade had Ogletree playing more as a run stopper which wasn't his forte and the Giants will probably use him in the Haasan Reddick inside/outside role. 

Bucs walk away with Barkley and Nelson and they are big winners on draft day. I rather have Nelson though and look for a RB later.

45 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Hate to be that guy...but I guess I’m the only one that thinks TB gave up way too much? JPP isn’t very good anymore.

Only thing that I dislike from the Giants’ side is the dead cap. Other than that, to get a third from a relatively unproductice, older, expensive player is crazy. 

22.5M for 1 year of production and an early 3rd.  

CLE spent 16M to get 2.4 in taking Osweiler but IIRC they also had to spend the $ to get past the floor.  So yeah the G-men spent a ton on JPP.  But it was a sunk cost so they did well now to get an early 3rd.   

And yes JPP isn’t nearly the same    So an early 3rd is a lot for Tampa to pay if he isn’t the same as he used to be pre-injury.  And he’s that expensive. They certainly upgraded DL and pass rush the Q is how much it’s worth given the salary and pick.  

NYG already invested heavily.   They got the best return possible given it was a sunk cost.  

If I’m NYG I certainly wouldn’t thumb my nose at this deal.  ;)

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

22.5M for 1 year of production and an early 3rd.  

CLE spent 16M to get 2.4 in taking Osweiler but IIRC they also had to spend the $ to get past the floor.  So yeah the G-men spent a ton on JPP.  But it was a sunk cost so they did well now to get an early 3rd.   

And yes JPP isn’t nearly the same    So an early 3rd is a lot for Tampa to pay if he isn’t the same as he used to be pre-injury.  And he’s that expensive. 

NYG already invested heavily.   They got the best return possible given it was a sunk cost.  

If I’m NYG I certainly wouldn’t thumb my nose at this deal.  ;)

*shrug*

It’s been 3 seasons now, I’m not holding my breath that he’s going to magically regain that. Anything’s possible, but not worth a third IMO. 

NYG did a good job getting this compensation for him. Not many FAs left to spend on, anyway.

We’d be silly to get rid of Vernon. Dude is still incredibly young. As for this trade don’t hate it and I understand it. I think with or without this trade Chubb was in play anyway. I still think it’s a toss up between Nelson and Chubb at #2. And the more I think about it, the more I’m conflicted. 

Jason Pierre-Paul was a wonderful player for the Giants at his best, especially, as noted in their unlikely Super Bowl run of 2011. 

And he'll be a nice addition to a 4-3 in Tampa. But the hard truth is that he was not close to the same player these last couple of years after his hand injury; the Giants, frankly, did not have enough speed coming off the edges to get sacks. They provided pressure, but there wasn't either the great first step not the closing speed from their DE's. And there wasn't much chance the JPP, "The Adrien Robinson of DE's", was ever going to regain past glories. Further, as noted, he would not have been a good fit in Bettcher's 3-4. Hence the trade. A good business decision, but it's a little sad- the guy was such a beast in his best years, and arguably the biggest reason why the Giants won the Super Bowl in his second year. Would have been nice to see him finish out his career in New York after his brave comeback from his accident, wearing that oven mitt. No matter how foolish the accident was in the first place.

So long, JPP, and good luck in Tampa!

Image result for Jason Pierre Paul

@bzane makes a nice point about speed around the edge. The talk is all about JPP's hand, but what has really hurt him has been his lack of burst and speed. He just doesn't turn the corner now like he used to. I haven't seen it in a couple years. He is still one of the best DEs in the league against the run, but his pass rush has been gone for a while now. TB would be better off bumping him inside on pass downs, taking out Allen and pairing him with McCoy. Then have Spence rush from the edge. 

12 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

@bzane makes a nice point about speed around the edge. The talk is all about JPP's hand, but what has really hurt him has been his lack of burst and speed. He just doesn't turn the corner now like he used to. I haven't seen it in a couple years. He is still one of the best DEs in the league against the run, but his pass rush has been gone for a while now. TB would be better off bumping him inside on pass downs, taking out Allen and pairing him with McCoy. Then have Spence rush from the edge. 

I'm guessing McCoy and Curry will be inside with JPP and Spence on the outside on passing downs.

Archived