CB Tramon Williams returning to GB - 2yr deal

deltarich87

1 minute ago, wgbeethree said:

I'm pretty ok going into the season with Williams, Rollins, and Waters as our 4/5/6 guys. Still means we have some work to do. Think we need another veteran and an early pick.

I wouldnt count on Rollins. I have my doubts that injury isnt gonna take just enough away from him to.....well, make it "not pretty" for him. More than hope I'm wrong - but he wasnt a burner before it. We'll see. Hoping for the best.

18 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I'm pretty ok going into the season with Williams, Rollins, and Waters as our 4/5/6 guys. Still means we have some work to do. Think we need another veteran and an early pick.

Honestly, going into the season all the CBs on the roster sans Tramon Williams and Kevin King should be competing for those 5th and 6th spots.  Right now, I'd like our DC to be Tramon Williams/Kevin King/Early DP/Mid-to-Late DP as our top 4 CBs.  It's not ideal, but I'd go with it.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Disagree to a degree. "Pressure can make any secondary look solid [in the right defensive system]." I saw too many occasions over the last two years where we had guys basically coming free for a sack and the QB still hit someone wide open. Not sure if that was 100% because of Capers or because our guys couldn't cover for even "one thousand one, one thousand..."

Your entire argument is that the Packers need to get halfway decent production out of CB.  We don't need prime Darrelle Revis or Marcus Peters.  We just need guys who can play sound coverage, and not give up the big plays.  Not exactly something we need to heavily invest in to do so.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, going into the season all the CBs on the roster sans Tramon Williams and Kevin King should be competing for those 5th and 6th spots.  Right now, I'd like our DC to be Tramon Williams/Kevin King/Early DP/Mid-to-Late DP as our top 4 CBs.  It's not ideal, but I'd go with it.

I'm fine with Pipkins as our #4. Surely think he'd be more ready than a mid (assuming late 4th or early 5th round?) to late round pick.

Just now, bkobow05 said:

I'm fine with Pipkins as our #4. Surely think he'd be more ready than a mid (assuming late 4th or into the 5th round?) to late round pick.

Ideally, Pipkins is competing with that mid-to-late round DP or wins that #5 spot outright.  I like his upside, but I'm not willing to bet on him just yet.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Ideally, Pipkins is competing with that mid-to-late round DP or wins that #5 spot outright.  I like his upside, but I'm not willing to bet on him just yet.

You think we carry 6 corners this year? Think Rollins and Hawkins could be the odd men out and they stick with DP, Pipkins and Waters as the 4/5/6.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Your entire argument is that the Packers need to get halfway decent production out of CB.  We don't need prime Darrelle Revis or Marcus Peters.  We just need guys who can play sound coverage, and not give up the big plays.  Not exactly something we need to heavily invest in to do so.

Exactly. I disagreed with the initial point that pressure fixes everything. We need at least sound CBs on the back-end as well. We added one today. I'd like to add 1 more vet in the same tier plus a rookie in round 2 or 3 (assuming we go EDGE in Rd 1). 

Just now, bkobow05 said:

You think we carry 6 corners this year? Think Rollins and Hawkins could be the odd men out and they stick with DP, Pipkins and Waters as the 4/5/6.

We've historically carried ~10 DB on the roster, and without Morgan Burnett our S group right now consists of HHCD, Josh Jones, Kentrell Brice, and Marwin Evans.  That would lead me to believe that we're looking at 6 CBs right now.

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Exactly. I disagreed with the initial point that pressure fixes everything. We need at least sound CBs on the back-end as well. We added one today. I'd like to add 1 more vet in the same tier plus a rookie in round 2 or 3 (assuming we go EDGE in Rd 1). 

That initial point obviously comes with the condition that you are getting at least average production out of your CB.  We haven't had that in a few years.  You need capable corners, not great corners.  An impact pass rusher will drastically improve the defense far more than an impact corner.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Yeah. I don't really care which of two of Rollins, Waters, Pipkins, or Hawkins are the 5 and 6. I'd just like that none of them are higher than that because there's no other option. We still need two more guys better than those guys IMO. 

Kevin King
Tramon Williams
Carlton Davis
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Lenzy Pipkins
Herb Waters

I could live with that. Next year, draft another CB and hope he's ready to go by the time Tramon's contract is up. That or Lenzy makes a jump.

So who's gonna bump the thread when he left of everybody calling him old and washed up?

We're sure we're getting the Tramon Williams of 2017 and not the Tramon Williams of 2014-2016? 

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we signed somebody, but let's not act like this is a sure thing. 

I think it will be tough for Rollins, Goodson, and Hawkins to make the team for a couple reasons beyond the fact they aren't any good.

-All 3 are on the last year of their contract

-Going with Pipkins,Waters, or a Late Round Pick as your 5th and 6th CB would save about 800,000 against the cap

They would have to handily outplay their competition to have any shot of making the team.

Archived