CB Tramon Williams returning to GB - 2yr deal

deltarich87

1 hour ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I'm curious where he lines up, he played RCB last year. Hopefully King can handle LCB, because Tramon was really good in his spot last year.

I'd rather keep King at whatever position he is best at.  King is the future.

46 minutes ago, SSG said:

That's my feeling.  In press man coverage, I  don't think he's any better than anything we've got.  Rollins, as a rookie, was a substantially better player while they were on the same roster, not sure how anything has changed.  Williams is a bottom of the roster caliber player that offers nothing on ST and is taking up a pretty valuable roster spot.  I can't ignore how awful Williams was in his last year in Green Bay and while in Cleveland.  Since 2014, he's shown that he's terrible when he's required to be up on a WR. Last year he had success becasue he was able to play 10 or 15 yards off the WR which IMO is something he is going to require with the severe drop off in athletism.  

IMO, if Tramon wasn't a past Packer, this signing wouldn't be the massive celebration that it is currently.

We don't have Dom any more. Pettine doesn't sound like a guy that's going to force guys into his scheme. More like the guy who finds what players do best and makes the pieces fit.

3 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

How many guys did we have that could actually get there in time? Dom's schemes were the main culprit to our struggles in the defensive backfield. With a combination of what we have in the front 7 with a guy like Landry/Edmunds/Davenport instead of Kyler friggin' Fackrell, we'll be fine. I'm not taking any CB over those three at 14. Really liked Ward a bit but, now that I've taken the time to think about it, I'd rather have the EDGE every time over the CB unless you're talking about a Patrick Peterson and Patrick Peterson, Denzel Ward, is not.

And to think we could've drafted Josh Perry and be set inside.

But yeah, I like the move. Not the flashiest signing, but we'll take what we can get at this point.

17 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Do we actually have a left and right cornerback?

Is that what Pettine runs? He had Revis follow his man, but he was a special talent.

There are a lot of things we don't know going into this offseason.  We don't know if Gute will stick to TT's tendencies/rules.  We don't really know what Pettine intends to do with the defense, we only know (some of) the parts he is going to work with.  

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I'd rather move on from House. Guy was basically useless last year, just cannot stay healthy. I'd only grab him in an emergency. 

Its too bad House had injury issues because he looked pretty good when he wasn't ailing.

I am OK with this signing.  Really just a place holder, not a long term answer.  Williams played last year in ARI for less than $2M.   Would be hard pressed to think that it is for much more than that for 2018.  Might be a bit more but likely not much.

Archived