Cleveland Signs Gaines

MWil23

4 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I don't know man. Da'Ron Payneseem to really pop out on the screen when I watch the Alabama. That said, Bryan and Hurst are no slouches either. They would all be good adds.

I would add James Looney to that list as well. I like him and he could be available to us in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

BTW thanks for the like on my attempt at being funny earlier. Honest to God that was my absolute best stuff. I'm not a witty guy and I'm no good at funny but I thought someone would at least chuckle haha. 

People are too low on RJ McIntosh from Miami. Might sound homerish, but go look at the tape and tell me he isn't a monster. He's a stud. If we are looking for another DT, RJ McIntosh at the top of the 2nd would be my vote.

Oh, and I wouldn't blink at the thought of trading down with the Bills (#12 and #22) if Barkley was gone to take Vita Vea at 12. Vea is an explosive Danny Shelton.

6 hours ago, Mind Character said:

As Darnold is the 3rd best QB according to PFF....he is the 3rd best QB in the draft on film....and that's the bottom line....cuz PFF says so...

I would concur with PFF that Darnold is the third best, but that is just me :) 

7 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

Are we in a position as a team and locker room to take on a player like Arden Key in the 2nd ?

What happened to Arden Key? Coming into this year he was projected top 10 as a freak edge rusher and now hes 2nd round talent that literally nobody is even talking about??

What are the details with him?

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

What happened to Arden Key? Coming into this year he was projected top 10 as a freak edge rusher and now hes 2nd round talent that literally nobody is even talking about??

What are the details with him?

Rumor has it he quit the team last season because of a weed dependency. His weight fluctuated all over the place and he was too skinny and then too fat just a few months apart from one another.

He flies up the field every play and thinks everything is a pass, but in all fairness to him, this is what LSU asks their DE's to do in their defensive scheme. So he was playing at 270 and trying to be a 1st step quickness speed freak at DE last year and it didn't work. He also got lazy when he didn't win with his initial move. He is a non factor 2 seconds after the snap of the football as he doesn't chase or counter. Just seems like a lazy dude that doesn't really care about the game all that much. Combine this with an alleged marijuana habit and you have yourself a horrifying prospect to gamble on.    At least Josh Gordon looked interested in football when he was going through his drug stuff. Key seems like a dude that went back to football to get to the NFL, cash a paycheck, and then dip out. It's all speculative, but this is what I gather.

Flawed prospect with a broken urgency meter.

5 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Rumor has it he quit the team last season because of a weed dependency. His weight fluctuated all over the place and he was too skinny and then too fat just a few months apart from one another.

He flies up the field every play and thinks everything is a pass, but in all fairness to him, this is what LSU asks their DE's to do in their defensive scheme. So he was playing at 270 and trying to be a 1st step quickness speed freak at DE last year and it didn't work. He also got lazy when he didn't win with his initial move. He is a non factor 2 seconds after the snap of the football as he doesn't chase or counter. Just seems like a lazy dude that doesn't really care about the game all that much. Combine this with an alleged marijuana habit and you have yourself a horrifying prospect to gamble on.    At least Josh Gordon looked interested in football when he was going through his drug stuff. Key seems like a dude that went back to football to get to the NFL, cash a paycheck, and then dip out. It's all speculative, but this is what I gather.

Flawed prospect with a broken urgency meter.

Yea I just read a few articles about it and after that nooooo thank you. I feel like hes about to get the Vontaze Burfict treatment.

I was the biggest Vontaze Burfict fan coming out of ASU and wanted the Browns to draft him so bad when he was a projected 1st round pick. Then he has personality issues and whatever and went undrafted. Somehow despite me screaming at the TV during the draft each round 'TAKE HIM TAKE HIM TAKE HIM!!!' the Browns kept passing and now hes a monster. Crazy, but the fearsome hitter he was touted as at Arizona State.

Maybe Arden Key will become the same thing because of all the issues.

One of the MANY reasons I don't want Vea as a DT super high is because I like Hurst and the kid from scUM just as much and they'll come a lot cheaper. Think of it as the RB high argument but just for a DT, which I would argue is less valuable than a RB.

15 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

So ya'll back to loving Dorsey?...lol

He has seriously handed out some team friendly contracts. I thought Gaines would of been 2-3years. 

It seems like with all the contracts they have given out this FA season, almost every player could be cut next year without any major cap hit/hold. A lot of show up, play out, get paid, or GTFO

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

One of the MANY reasons I don't want Vea as a DT super high is because I like Hurst and the kid from scUM just as much and they'll come a lot cheaper. Think of it as the RB high argument but just for a DT, which I would argue is less valuable than a RB.

Oh, lawdy no. There's a reason elite interior DL get's 12M+ per year where most elite running backs only get in the 8-10M range. Now, if you're just talking Shelton-esque run stuffers, sure. But the new prototype of interior disrupting DT's is a really valuable commodity. I mean, with a lot of these elite QBs, interior pressure disrupts them even more than edge pressure.

Currently, in the top 100 paid NFL players for the functional guarantees in their contracts (so, not the sticker price but what they are actually definitely going to get paid), there are 17 interior DL and 1 running back. In the top 200 contracts, there are 24 interior DL and 3 RBs. Interior DL is valued WAY more highly than RB. Because an RB, most of the time, is dependent upon someone else doing their job (OL) in order to do his job. Whereas other people (LB) are depending on the iDL to do their jobs in order to be able to do theirs.

Archived