Broncos trade for Su'a Cravens safety from Redskins

49erurtaza

34 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I'm honestly shocked we got anything for him. He retired the day after final cuts last year and cost another guy who actually cared about playing a roster spot. Good riddance.

Talent and especially high drafted talent will always get a second chance. We can make a list that last 10 pages of examples.  Now if he was a 7th round pick no second chances would be given.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Talent and especially high drafted talent will always get a second chance. We can make a list that last 10 pages of examples.  Now if he was a 7th round pick no second chances would be given.

Very true. I pretty much lost all respect for the guy when he retired via text message. 

5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

This is major for Denver, who could not, for the life of them, cover any tight end across the middle of the field. At least now we have some talent there.

The Redskins have not been able to cover a tight end since Sean Taylor roamed the secondary.

Cravens, in his one season in Washington when he was playing, didn't change that fact.

3 hours ago, Calibucsfan said:

Can someone fill me in what the deal with this guy is? You guys keep talking about him mentally showing up. Can anyone elaborate?

A day or two after the final rosters were announced for the 2017 season, Cravens declared he was retiring. There was a video of him and Will Compton talking with Compton telling him to buckle down and fight with the team. He instead walked away.

He also did this at USC, when he went AWOL with the team for three days, told no one where he was.

He's got talent, but he's unreliable. I get why Denver made the deal for him: if he can get his act together, he could be a solid player for the Broncos. I just wouldn't hold much hope for him if I were a Denver fan.

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

I feel like this is a lot of picks to give up for Cravens to be honest. They're late picks, but there's a pretty big chance that one of the players they draft with those selections more than outweighs what Cravens gives them.

Really, they only gave up one pick (and that one belonged to the Rams anyway). The others are positional swaps. So, unless the Redskins or one of the seven or eight teams in between finds a Pro Bowler, it's probably not that much of a loss for the Broncos.

11 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I feel like this is a lot of picks to give up for Cravens to be honest. They're late picks, but there's a pretty big chance that one of the players they draft with those selections more than outweighs what Cravens gives them.

That's entirely possible, but Cravens 3 years of cheap cost control, and the fact that he can help us right away, makes him worth more than the 5.163 and 11 pick swap for Rds4-5.   That's the key - anyone else would have to learn the system, and wouldn't likely help us right away.   Cravens might bust out completely, but unlike a rookie, he's likely to have an immediate chance to help - and yet still be dirt-cheap for 3 years.    You don't see both of those, usually a guy who can help costs more, or is only cheap for 1-2 more years.     That's why he's getting any return, given the very obvious risk he carries. 

12 minutes ago, Woz said:

Really, they only gave up one pick (and that one belonged to the Rams anyway). The others are positional swaps. So, unless the Redskins or one of the seven or eight teams in between finds a Pro Bowler, it's probably not that much of a loss for the Broncos.

ook. Missed that these were pick swaps.

16 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

That's entirely possible, but Cravens 3 years of cheap cost control, and the fact that he can help us right away, makes him worth more than the 5.163 and 11 pick swap for Rds4-5.   That's the key - anyone else would have to learn the system, and wouldn't likely help us right away.   Cravens might bust out completely, but unlike a rookie, he's likely to have an immediate chance to help - and yet still be dirt-cheap for 3 years.    You don't see both of those, usually a guy who can help costs more, or is only cheap for 1-2 more years.     That's why he's getting any return, given the very obvious risk.

I've been vocal in being against any stopgap moves Elway's made, as we're 2019+ contenders in a best-case scenario.  I will give a pass for Veldheer because you need to protect your future QB, whoever he is, and RT Watson was getting our guy killed.   I will give a pass for CB Tremaine Brock, because it was a cheap 1-year deal.   The rest of the moves that are trying to bring in 2018 results I've been very meh on.  We're not serious contenders for 2018.   But this move I can get behind, because it's such a low price, and the potential payoff is bigger for 2019-20.  And again, we're so cap-strapped for 2019, we need to hit on cheap guys like this to seriously hope to contend.   So it's a calculated risk, for sure, but the draft capital isn't a deal breaker, when you factor in that the salary/cost-control is actually for 3 full years. 

EDIT:  Just saw your last reply.....nvm lol

16 hours ago, Woz said:

The Redskins have not been able to cover a tight end since Sean Taylor roamed the secondary.

Cravens, in his one season in Washington when he was playing, didn't change that fact.

That may be true, but when you consider that Denver has been trotting out Todd Davis and Will Parks to try and cover TEs, anyone with an ounce of athleticism represents a major upgrade.

Archived