Gruden vs. Reggie

Humble_Beast

I do believe Reggie's time is coming to an end. I like Reggie, he had a very difficult job taking over for Al Davis but he has been kinda just living off that 2014 draft class. He just didn't hit on enough true blue chip players in rounds 1 & 2 however Reggie does have the ability to find players late in rounds 6 & 7, they're not great players but he can find guys who can make the 53 and have lasting careers in the NFL. Guys like Stacy McGee, Shelby Harris, TJ Carrie, Murray, etc... But with Gruden in now, its just a matter of time before Reggie is gone. It could be after the draft or maybe he sticks around for 1 more year but its so obvious Gruden has full control of this team.

5 hours ago, raidersedge said:

I do believe Reggie's time is coming to an end. I like Reggie, he had a very difficult job taking over for Al Davis but he has been kinda just living off that 2014 draft class. He just didn't hit on enough true blue chip players in rounds 1 & 2 however Reggie does have the ability to find players late in rounds 6 & 7, they're not great players but he can find guys who can make the 53 and have lasting careers in the NFL. Guys like Stacy McGee, Shelby Harris, TJ Carrie, Murray, etc... But with Gruden in now, its just a matter of time before Reggie is gone. It could be after the draft or maybe he sticks around for 1 more year but its so obvious Gruden has full control of this team.

Just wondering why you say it's obvious Gruden has control of the team.................

(I don't think that's a good thing for the team moving forward)

Reggie time is coming up. You don’t pay coach that type of money and have him answer to a GM he didn’t pick. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Reggie go after the draft. Gruden will bring in his own guy that he can connect with and that he trust. 

Look at the moves made already. Gruden got rid of some of Reggie’s best finds. Crabtree, Olawale,Amerson, King. Aside from Amerson if Reggie were in charge all three of the other guys would still be on the team. 

36 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Just wondering why you say it's obvious Gruden has control of the team.................

(I don't think that's a good thing for the team moving forward)

Of course no answer because there is none that isn't easily refuted. This whole topic is so tired. Not sure how many ways they can say they are on the same page and working together toward the same things in the same way in harmony. Just a case of people who were critical of Reggie or Mark or of Gruden's misconstrued statements seeing an opportunity for dissension.

I don't see much of a change tbh, Reggie has always gone after the players that the coaches have wanted to fit their schemes. Reggie has always worked in conjunction with coaches and has stuck with the scouting and brining in of talent. He's never really been the football czar that has made all the decisions and forced his coaches to work with the talent he's gotten. I think that it is kinda overblown as far as Gruden because he's got such a big personality in comparison to Allen and JDR.

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Look at the moves made already. Gruden got rid of some of Reggie’s best finds. Crabtree, Olawale,Amerson, King. Aside from Amerson if Reggie were in charge all three of the other guys would still be on the team.

Crabtree was rumored to be on the way out before Gruden was hired. JDR was tired of King's BS.

37 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

I’ve felt it’s Gruden’s show now but at the same time why would Reggie turn down the interview with the Packers if that’s the case ?

Because he had no chance of actually getting the job is my guess. They had in house candidates who were shoe ins

13 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Crabtree was rumored to be on the way out before Gruden was hired. JDR was tired of King's BS.

It was rumored by a guy on Twitter who says to have sources and if Nelson wouldn’t have become available we most likely wouldn’t have seen Crabtree go. safe to say JDR wouldn’t have done nothing about King because he answered to Reggie. Gruden does want he wants because he doesn’t answer to Reggie. 

13 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

It was rumored by a guy on Twitter who says to have sources and if Nelson wouldn’t have become available we most likely wouldn’t have seen Crabtree go. safe to say JDR wouldn’t have done nothing about King because he answered to Reggie. Gruden does want he wants because he doesn’t answer to Reggie. 

So you're saying RM wanted to keep King. Do you have sources as well? Maybe you can go on Twitter then.

Bruce Allen isn't currently available so Reggie is SAFE...

'Chucky' always had a BIG personality and with Al not there he is fully in control. (Jon's EGO didn't get smaller with broadcasting) Hence that contract, so even if he makes mistakes he's got time. Reggie will be a great GM with Gruden. jon tells him what he wants and RM works the numbers, gives needed info and then Gruden makes the decision. 

As far as Nelson vs Crabtree, if you go back 2 years, who would you rather have? I'd take 'white chocolate' because his size speed and ability to share the ball with teammates. Crabs got a bit 'crabby' when  the losses piled up, but his drops were close to Cooper's but the fans here pointed out Amari's way more than Michael's. Usually a player is not the same the season after a major injury, so the gamble is that Nelson will get back that speed, but that's still an unknown. The money's about the same but Crabs could be cut for instant savings.

I'm a fan of King but he made bank like Seabass and is replaceable. A guy at the gym hated him for a Twitter post he showed me of what looked like him 'messing' with a large woman. Dude actually make a complaint to the organization and was so happy hearing he got cut.

Anyone pretending Gruden isn't running the show is blind. Gruden has a 10 year $100 million contract. He has 100% control of the roster (as if that is evident enough).

I don't know why fans need to have this warm/fuzzy feeling about everyone working in harmony. Gruden didn't come back to football to not be in control of his roster. He hired a director of football research (Dave Razzano) and leans on his own people. 

20 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Anyone pretending Gruden isn't running the show is blind. Gruden has a 10 year $100 million contract. He has 100% control of the roster (as if that is evident enough).

I don't know why fans need to have this warm/fuzzy feeling about everyone working in harmony. Gruden didn't come back to football to not be in control of his roster. He hired a director of football research (Dave Razzano) and leans on his own people. 

GMs with good coaches on the team don't choose the scheme and therefore don't make the grocery list sort of speak. With Gruden and Guether outlining what they wanna do and the kind of guys they like it makes it easy for Reggie to do his job and scout and sign and select the players we add. With Gruden and Reggie both coming from the same foundation and learning the game from the same guys they have similar philosophies. They have said it over and over again that they are working together. 

This narrative that some are trying to push about control has been shot down multiple times by the men themselves. These are terms that are thrown around by those that want to divide. Mark, Reggie and Gruden have all said that they want the FO and coaches to work like they are suppose to as I described above and Reggie has said multiple time that it's refreshing and great to work with a guy and staff the communicates openly and that shares the same goals, outlook, football eyes and values that he does.

So it's not about fans NEEDING there to be a warm/fuzzy feeling, it's that there is a good working relationship, when those that want to divide would rather there not be. It's not a mystery that all the Reggie haters are the same ones shouting that he has no "control" when that isn't how you would describe his job as I noted above.

Archived