New England signs WR Jordan Matthews

Broncofan

2 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

They also traded for Randy Moss. It wouldn't be their first time doing this. 

But yeah, those 2 first round picks will almost certainly be for a quarterback now.

Wasn't Moss a 3rd or 4th rounder though? That's still nothing compared to what OBJ costs

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

He could compete with Mitchell for the pure slot job, if either stay healthy. I’m a fan of the deal. 

I thought Mathews would develop into a top 10 WR...glad NE didn’t listen to me and draft him early.

Isn't Edelman the slot guy? I know he moves all over, but is that not where he is most effective? 

8 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

Isn't Edelman the slot guy? I know he moves all over, but is that not where he is most effective? 

They all move all over, so saying “pure” was inaccurate. I assumed Mathews would be in an Amendola-role, that was pretty much just as an inside receiver. Yes, Edelman gets his share inside the numbers. 

But out of Mathews-Edelman-Hogan, Mathews is definitely the slot receiver IMO even though the latter two have the ability to do so. 

7 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

They all move all over, so saying “pure” was inaccurate. I assumed Mathews would be in an Amendola-role, that was pretty much just as an inside receiver. Yes, Edelman gets his share inside the numbers. 

But out of Mathews-Edelman-Hogan, Mathews is definitely the slot receiver IMO even though the latter two have the ability to do so. 

Guessing Britt and/or Dorsett will be the odd guy out? 

7 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

Britt has the bleakest outlook to make the roster right now.

Moss was traded for a fourth round pick. Cooks was a late first and the move was clearly a one time mistake. Belichick values picks a lot like most successful teams do.

6 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

God, I hope so. 

Both are behind a healthy Mitchell, we’ll see how Mathews fits in overall. Dorsett probably with the inside track over Britt given his skill set (Britt now has a physical counterpart in Mathews) and the cost it took to get him, but that’s a toss up.

It’s not a given that 2 of the 3 mentioned above are on the final 53, IYAM. 

He's pretty average. A guy who puts in as much work as he does should be good, but he's just not. Can't separate, rarely uses his size to his advantage, and his hands become below average in crunch time, but his personality will fit right in with BB.

Hardest working average wideout in the league.

He's a good guy, as long as you aren't expecting him to be a #1 or #2 you are fine and he'll get his numbers.
When Gronk is on the field he'll open up stuff for Jordan, which will help with his inability to create space.

58 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I adored him in that draft.  Absolutely adored him.

I'm not very good at scouting WRs.

Not your fault. He has the right mindset and has pretty good athleticism. Problem is he can't catch or get open for some reason.

2 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Not your fault. He has the right mindset and has pretty good athleticism. Problem is he can't catch or get open for some reason.

The maddening part is that he caught EVERYTHING in college.  And was a fantastic route runner.

Decent signing.    Nothing special, but Brady doesnt need amazing weapons.   He gets the most out of every one he plays with.

I still think the Pats end up making a move for a WR at some point.    I doubt it will be OBJ as some believe, but I could definitely see them trading for someone.

Still shocked they didnt sign Jordy Nelson.     Thought that was a natural fit for both sides.

Archived