The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

Christian Darrisaw, the 2021 first-round pick, recently signed his second contract, with two years left on his rookie deal. He’s now under contract for six years.

Original reports included the key phrase “up to” $113 million — which means “this isn’t really the deal, but it could be if he earns all of his incentives.”

We now have the full and complete and actual details. Here they are:

1. Signing bonus: $18 million.

2. 2024 base salary: $1.055 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2025 option bonus: $22.25 million, fully guaranteed.

4. 2025 offseason workout bonus: $250,000, fully guaranteed (but must be earned).

5. 2025 base salary: $1.17 million, fully guaranteed.

6. 2025 per-game roster bonus: $1 million total, fully guaranteed (but must be earned).

7. 2026 offseason roster bonus: $250,000, guaranteed for injury at signing and fully guaranteed as of 2025 (but must be earned).

8. 2026 base salary: $13.291 million, guaranteed for injury at signing and fully guaranteed as of 2025.

9. 2026 per-game roster bonus: $1.5 million total, guaranteed for injury at signing and fully guaranteed as of 2025 (but must be earned).

10. 2027 offseason workout bonus: $250,000, guaranteed for injury at signing and fully guaranteed later (more below).

11. 2027 base salary: $15 million, guaranteed for injury at signing and fully guaranteed later (more below).

12. 2027 per-game roster bonus: $1.5 million total, guaranteed for injury at signing and fully guaranteed later (more below).

13. 2028 workout bonus: $250,000.

14. 2028 base salary: $21.25 million, $2 million of which is guaranteed for injury at signing and becomes fully guaranteed in 2028.

15. 2028 per-game roster bonus: $1.5 million total.

16. 2029 workout bonus: $250,000.

17. 2029 base salary: $22.25 million.

18. 2029 per-game roster bonus: $1.5 million total.

As to 2027, the full compensation of $16.75 million is guaranteed for injury at signing. Half of it — $8.375 million — becomes fully guaranteed in 2026. The other half becomes fully guaranteed in 2027.

The deal includes $9 million in upside, in the form of $2.25 million in escalators from 2026 through 2029. Each year, he gets $250,000 for 90-percent playing time. He also gets $250,000 for making the Pro Bowl or $1 million for being a second-team All-Pro or $2 million for being a first-team All-Pro.

So the base value is $104 million. To get the full “up to” value of $113 million, Darrisaw needs to take at least 90 percent of the snaps and be a first-team All-Pro in 2025 and 2026 and 2027 and 2028.

The new-money average as to the four-year extension is $26 million, not $28.25 million. The total value from signing is $20.419 million.

He has $43.725 million fully guaranteed at signing. By 2025, it moves to $58.766 million. By 2026, the full guarantee is $67.141 million.

Darrisaw becomes the latest Vikings player to break from the mold of having no full guarantees beyond the current year. It looks like ownership has finally realized that, in order to keep the best players around, it’s something that had to be done at a position other than quarterback.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/inside-the-christian-darrisaw-deal

@Ozzy

• Like 1

This guy is an impressive dude, I wish he was paid more money honestly.  Hope he has a great year and can stay healthy.  He is paid less per year than a lot of guys on their rookie contract drafted in the first few rounds, hopefully he gets a better pay day down the road.  

Nate Herbig a guy who has bounced around who might not even end up starting for Pittsburgh, he gets $4 mil a year $8 mil for two years, Risner $2.41 mil for one year.  Herbig has started 30 games out of 61, Risner 73 out of 77 and is a better player all around.  

• Like 1

Asked what it is like to go against Christian Darrisaw, Turner said, “I ain’t gonna lie, he hard. I know if I go against a guy like that in practice every day, the game’s going to be easy. You know, money man, that’s him for sure.” 

Turner went on to state that Darrisaw earned every bit of that payday and every day in practice Darrisaw is locking him up. When talking about the premise of iron sharpening iron, Turner said “I know he’s going to get me better every single day because I ain’t never seen a tackle like that.”

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/dallas-turner-credits-christian-darrisaw-minnesota-vikings/?

• Like 1

The Vikings continued with the first grouping, from left to right, of Christian Darrisaw, Blake Brandel, Garrett Bradbury, Ed Ingram and Brian O'Neill.

But the team opted to flip both sides of center Dan Feeney with the second grouping. Minnesota departed from its most common alignment so far by moving David Quessenberry from right tackle to left tackle and Walter Rouse from left to right, as well as sending Dalton Risner from right guard to left guard and moving Tyrese Robinson to right guard.

Full pads also meant that offensive linemen were in full-contact drills against edge defenders and defensive linemen.

vikings.com

Need to see a big jump from Ingram this season. I don't suspect that Brandel will be a big upgrade over Risner. Bradbury is who he is. If we're going to have an improved offensive line, I think that improvement is going to have to come from Ed.

• Like 5

The first-team offensive line maintained its grouping of LT Christian Darrisaw, LG Blake Brandel, C Garrett Bradbury, RG Ed Ingram and RT Brian O'Neill.

With Risner sitting out with a minor injury, the second group consisted of LT David Quessenberry, LG Michael Jurgens, C Dan Feeney, RG Tyrese Robinson and RT Rouse.

https://www.vikings.com/news/justin-jefferson-strikes-defense-surges-training-camp

The Minnesota Vikings have created a unique competition for the starting guard spots along the offensive line, but the preseason schedule adds another wrinkle. Ed Ingram, Blake Brandel, and Dalton Risner are the trio competing for the two starting spots.

All three are team veterans and are well-established with the team and staff. For that reason alone, it is time for all three to shine. There is no time to waste as training camp evolves, and in the preseason games, they can prove themselves the most. The only hitch in that idea is the defensive linemen they will be facing won’t make it easy for anyone to shine more than the other.

The Vikings’ preseason schedule is against the Las Vegas Raiders, Cleveland Browns, and Philadelphia Eagles. They are three of the deepest teams in terms of defensive fronts with the talent to boot.

This schedule means that Ingram, Brandel, and Risner will compete against Christian Wilkins, Dalvin Tomlinson, Shelby Harris, Jordan Davis, and Jalen Carter. They are not the easiest bunch to impose your will on to earn a starting job.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2024/08/05/vikings-preseason-schedule-makes-the-guard-competition-interesting

I have yet to see a single report from training camp of Risner taking any snaps with the 1st team unit. Three weeks into camp, that doesn’t sound like any type of competition. 

Risner appears to be an insurance plan in case Brandel or Ingram don’t step up, but it certainly sounds like either guard spot is a job for Bradel or Ingram to lose, not a job for Risner to win. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I have yet to see a single report from training camp of Risner taking any snaps with the 1st team unit. Three weeks into camp, that doesn’t sound like any type of competition. 

Risner appears to be an insurance plan in case Brandel or Ingram don’t step up, but it certainly sounds like either guard spot is a job for Bradel or Ingram to lose, not a job for Risner to win. 

That's where I've been at...I think Risner was told that he's basically the swing guard, as Brandel was last year.  He will be the first option off the bench.   

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1