The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

Yea, that shouldn't come as a huge surprise.  I never really believed the Isidora starting rumor, since it came from a guy who doesn't break news.  He may have just misinterpreted some of the things he was reading/hearing, which can easily happen when you aren't that close to the situation.  

Still gonna say he gave up a sack against Seattle. Yes, Siemian was partly responsible for the sack by not stepping up, but O’Neill flat out got beat. It doesn’t take much away from a phenomenal preseason. O’Neill was viewed heavily as a one year project, maybe even two, but he showed a tremendous level of development and looked good enough to start over Hill. 

The Vikings added depth to the offensive line Monday by adding Bryan Witzmann to the roster.

https://www.vikings.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-vikings-new-g-bryan-witzmann

I'm really good friends with Bryan's sister! He's a huge, quiet, nice guy. Extremely hard worker, as he barely held on to being in the NFL jumping from a couple team's practice squads until he finally leapfrogged into a starting spot last year! 

Wonder what happened to Collins -- elbow injury in practice, out for the year? Some kind of ligament damage maybe? 

Witzmann should be an upgrade from Collins anyway.

Ironically the OL depth chart could end up looking better thanks to Elflein's slow recovery, as soon as he gets back on the field. Jones is probably better than Easton, or at least no worse, and Witzmann is probably as good or better than Collins or whoever would've been the next man up after Compton. Plus Collins being out probably means O'Neill is the swing tackle (or at least would play RT with Hill shifting to LT if Reiff went out), and based on preseason, he's better than Collins too. 

Elflein is out for GB. Same OL as the Niners game. Doubt Witzmann will be active, they need Isidora as a backup C and O’Neill as a backup who can play tackle. 

Collins’ injury turns out to be a torn biceps. 

Guess he’ll be ready for training camp next year, maybe in time for OTAs. 

Just now, Heimdallr said:

Did anyone notice how O'Neill did against GB?

I liked what I saw. It will take more than one game to really draw conclusions. GB lacks much of an outside pass rush, but at least O'Neill passed this test IMO. He did get pushed back, but he didn't let guys run to the QB with impunity as Clemmings used to do.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Did anyone notice how O'Neill did against GB?

I thought he looked very good. He’s not a guy, yet, that I’d feel comfortable running behind. But he was very good in pass blocking. Even the play that he got pushed back on, he seemed to recover. 

The 75 yard TD to Diggs was only possible, it seemed, because of O’Neill picking up the edge rusher and pushing him past the QB. 

I would like to see him continue to play over Hill.