How many years do top QBs have left?

brownie man

How many years do the top QBs have left?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. How many years does Eli have left?

2. 2. How many years does Phillip Rivers have left?

3. 3. How many years does Brees have left?

30 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Personally I think this is Mannings, Brady's, Roethlisberger,  and Brees' last year.  I give Rivers and Rodgers 2 more.

What make's you think that the Saints or Steelers will be ready to replace their QB's in 2019? Eli I agree with, and Brady is such an unknown he could either announce his retirement or resign for 5 more years, and BB could also do pretty much the same, although I would bet they are each more likely to stay for at least another 2 years than to leave after 1.

I know Ben has said he want's to play for three more seasons, and while he was off last year, I think he is still a top 10 QB and has one of the most talented offenses in the league with one of the best Olines, so until he gets injured or completely falls off (which I would expect to take at least another 2 years) the Steelers will likely not move on.

I don't know as much about Brees or his backup situation, but he had one of his best seasons last year, and with the saints and Steelers both picking so late, and also still in a SB window with their current QBs, I doubt they end up with a QB good enough to come in and supplant a HOFer in one season.

The Rivers situation I agree with, but Rodgers only getting 2 more seasons? Sure he has taken some injuries but he's only 34, and after two more seasons he will be ready to resign a huge contract unless he falls off dramatically or continues to get injured.

8 hours ago, Classic said:

Eli can still play as his preformances have never been great and with OBJ and Engram he really can be game manger into his 40s, so as long the Giants defense is upper echelon.

I think Rivers calls it quits after the 2020 season, due to pressure from Anthony Lynn and his obsession for mobile QBs. The inglewood stadium opens up in 2021

Drew Brees will milk out as much success from this newly dominate Saints offense as much as he can before calling it quits. Probably finishes the contract.

The QB not on this list that I think calls it quits early is Aaron Rodgers, mainly due to suffering so much injuries and the packers being clueless as to build a Super Bowl team. I don't think he makes past 3 seasons. Plus NFC North is getting better and the rest of the divisions QBs are much younger. Tom Brady on the otherhand is done after this season, unless he wants to show it to the Patriots and win elsewhere for 1 year.

So you don't think the Giants take a QB this draft?

1 hour ago, TXsteeler said:

What make's you think that the Saints or Steelers will be ready to replace their QB's in 2019? Eli I agree with, and Brady is such an unknown he could either announce his retirement or resign for 5 more years, and BB could also do pretty much the same, although I would bet they are each more likely to stay for at least another 2 years than to leave after 1.

I know Ben has said he want's to play for three more seasons, and while he was off last year, I think he is still a top 10 QB and has one of the most talented offenses in the league with one of the best Olines, so until he gets injured or completely falls off (which I would expect to take at least another 2 years) the Steelers will likely not move on.

I don't know as much about Brees or his backup situation, but he had one of his best seasons last year, and with the saints and Steelers both picking so late, and also still in a SB window with their current QBs, I doubt they end up with a QB good enough to come in and supplant a HOFer in one season.

The Rivers situation I agree with, but Rodgers only getting 2 more seasons? Sure he has taken some injuries but he's only 34, and after two more seasons he will be ready to resign a huge contract unless he falls off dramatically or continues to get injured.

Father time is undefeated man.  These qbs can say they want to play until they are 100, doesnt mean they can.  I just cant see the 3 i specifically mentioned maintaining the ability to play every down every week at a very high level past this year.  I could be wrong, but as i said, father time is undefeated.

12 hours ago, lancerman said:

To me Eli is effectively done whether he plays any longer or not. An elite QB doesn’t lead a team to a season like that. We saw what Brees did with historically awful defenses. The Giants were a small step above being the Browns last season. If the Giants don’t get a QB now while they have a chance they’ll regret it, because Eli isn’t the guy anymore. 

Rivers can maybe keep his current pace two more years. But it’s a step down from what he was. 

Brees is the tricky one. I almost want to give him three. I think he’ll last however long Brady’s around for. 

Perhaps this shows Eli has never been the elite QB some might suggest even tho he won 2 rings?  

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Personally I think this is Mannings, Brady's, Roethlisberger,  and Brees' last year.  I give Rivers and Rodgers 2 more.

Rodgers is going to be playing more than 2 more season lmfao.

He doesn't turn 35 until the end of this year, so you're saying he'll retire at 36? With QB's of his caliber, this just doesn't happen anymore.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Rodgers is going to be playing more than 2 more season lmfao.

He doesn't turn 35 until the end of this year, so you're saying he'll retire at 36? With QB's of his caliber, this just doesn't happen anymore.

Barring injuries, Rodgers is going to be lightning it up for the foreseeable future, no doubt.

11 hours ago, Classic said:

Eli can still play as his preformances have never been great and with OBJ and Engram he really can be game manger into his 40s, so as long the Giants defense is upper echelon.

I think Rivers calls it quits after the 2020 season, due to pressure from Anthony Lynn and his obsession for mobile QBs. The inglewood stadium opens up in 2021

Drew Brees will milk out as much success from this newly dominate Saints offense as much as he can before calling it quits. Probably finishes the contract.

The QB not on this list that I think calls it quits early is Aaron Rodgers, mainly due to suffering so much injuries and the packers being clueless as to build a Super Bowl team. I don't think he makes past 3 seasons. Plus NFC North is getting better and the rest of the divisions QBs are much younger. Tom Brady on the otherhand is done after this season, unless he wants to show it to the Patriots and win elsewhere for 1 year.

Rodgers' broken collarbone shouldn't affect his throwing motion going forward.  He has hinted he would like to play until he is at least 40 so seeing he is younger than the QBs in this poll I suspect he'll play more than 3 more years.

Was Eli ever considered a top QB?  Where's the rest of the aging "top" QBs?

Out of the elder QBs (36 years old or higher) that are were starters last year:

Name (age when season starts) - Contract - my guess

Tom Brady (41) - Contract 2 years left - will last 2 more years (Brady will get worse, but will still be effective for 2 more years.)

Drew Brees (39) - Contract 2 years left - will last 3 more years (His stats dropped, but that's due more to New Orleans running the ball a lot more.  He still super accurate (last year set a career high in completion percentage) and more than effective in that offense.)

Josh McCown (39) - Contract 1 year left - will last 1 more year (Had a resurgence last year, but this year is his swan song) 

Eli Manning (37) - Contract 2 years left - will last 2 more years (With OBJ healthy and possible QB competition, Eli will have a good year... then fall apart the following year)

Ben Roethlisberger (36)  - Contract 2 years left - will last 2 more years (He wants to play for 3 more years, but how much more can his chicken legs take?  I got a feeling he hits the wall in the 2019 season and replaced in 2 years by a FA.  He will choose retirement rather than going to another team.)

Phillip Rivers (36) - Contract 2 years left - will last 4 more years (Like others I think he can make it to 40 and be the oldest QB in the league.  But I also feel he might not be a Charger in 2 years.  Same reason as Big Ben, but he goes to a contender... maybe even be Ben's replacement.)

On a side note, if no QB signs an extension between now and 2020, there will be a massive list starting QBs all becoming free agents in 2020. This includes Wilson, Rogers, Wentz, Goff, Prescott, Keenum, Bradford, Glennon, McCarron as well as the 5 above.  Given that QBs drafted last year and this year will bubble up to starters, only a very select few teams in that "Win now" mode without a QB, and the vast number of FA QBs in 2020, all of these elder QBs (who might still have some left in the tank) could just be passed over for younger, cheaper options and forced into retirement.  

15 minutes ago, areksoo said:

Was Eli ever considered a top QB?  Where's the rest of the aging "top" QBs?

Out of the elder QBs (36 years old or higher) that are were starters last year:

Name (age when season starts) - Contract - my guess

Tom Brady (41) - Contract 2 years left - will last 2 more years (Brady will get worse, but will still be effective for 2 more years.)

Drew Brees (39) - Contract 2 years left - will last 3 more years (His stats dropped, but that's due more to New Orleans running the ball a lot more.  He still super accurate (last year set a career high in completion percentage) and more than effective in that offense.)

Josh McCown (39) - Contract 1 year left - will last 1 more year (Had a resurgence last year, but this year is his swan song) 

Eli Manning (37) - Contract 2 years left - will last 2 more years (With OBJ healthy and possible QB competition, Eli will have a good year... then fall apart the following year)

Ben Roethlisberger (36)  - Contract 2 years left - will last 2 more years (He wants to play for 3 more years, but how much more can his chicken legs take?  I got a feeling he hits the wall in the 2019 season and replaced in 2 years by a FA.  He will choose retirement rather than going to another team.)

Phillip Rivers (36) - Contract 2 years left - will last 4 more years (Like others I think he can make it to 40 and be the oldest QB in the league.  But I also feel he might not be a Charger in 2 years.  Same reason as Big Ben, but he goes to a contender... maybe even be Ben's replacement.)

On a side note, if no QB signs an extension between now and 2020, there will be a massive list starting QBs all becoming free agents in 2020. This includes Wilson, Rogers, Wentz, Goff, Prescott, Keenum, Bradford, Glennon, McCarron as well as the 5 above.  Given that QBs drafted last year and this year will bubble up to starters, only a very select few teams in that "Win now" mode without a QB, and the vast number of FA QBs in 2020, all of these elder QBs (who might still have some left in the tank) could just be passed over for younger, cheaper options and forced into retirement.  

I have a hard time believing 5 of the nine players you mentioned in the last paragraph of your post here will become FAs in 2020 unless their play declines big time.

Manning retires at the end of this year.

Brees plays out his contract.

Rivers is my holdup. I feel like he could go another 4. I don't think the Chargers give him that time and I don't see him going elsewhere.

Others of note

Brady I give another 3. He clearly isn't Brady of 5, 6 years ago, but he's still so much better than most of the QB's in the league. And he keeps proving me wrong.

Big Ben I give 1-2 years depending on if the Steelers can make a good run. 

Rodgers is an interesting case for me. He has injuries, but so far they don't seem to be nagging. And he's so good when he's on the field. I think he could go another 5-7 years if he chose, but would they be in Green Bay? I'm positive he has to be sitting there thinking "wth guys?" most seasons. Anyone else think he might test the FA market when his contract is up, circumstances depending?

Archived