How many years do top QBs have left?

brownie man

How many years do the top QBs have left?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. How many years does Eli have left?

2. 2. How many years does Phillip Rivers have left?

3. 3. How many years does Brees have left?

7 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Father time is undefeated man.  These qbs can say they want to play until they are 100, doesnt mean they can.  I just cant see the 3 i specifically mentioned maintaining the ability to play every down every week at a very high level past this year.  I could be wrong, but as i said, father time is undefeated.

But what have you seen to show Brady or Brees are slowing down? Their 2017 seasons wouldn't look bad at all for any HOF QBs career even at 27 years old.

I mean I get your sentiment about father time, but there is nothing that has shown me that they are more likely to be done after 2019 than after 2020 or 2021 other than the fact that they are getting older and will eventually have to stop, so I wouldn't place any bets on it.

I think Brees is probably done after next year, perhaps this year depending on how the season goes.  When asked about his future in several recent interviews, he's sounded less enthusiastic than he did a few years ago when he said he wanted to play until he was 45.

Eli will play a few more years if he wants.  Unless he just completely and totally craps the bed, someone will want him, it's just up to him.  Rivers can play for a few more years as well probably.

13 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

But what have you seen to show Brady or Brees are slowing down? Their 2017 seasons wouldn't look bad at all for any HOF QBs career even at 27 years old.

I mean I get your sentiment about father time, but there is nothing that has shown me that they are more likely to be done after 2019 than after 2020 or 2021 other than the fact that they are getting older and will eventually have to stop, so I wouldn't place any bets on it.

You typically dont see signs of slowing down, you see players fall off a cliff.  1 year Lach looks like he is as good as ever has and is in contention for dpoy the next year its clear he cant play anymore.  Brett Favre follows up perhaps the best year of his career with one of his worst and what ultimately was his last.  Brees was clearly not his old self last year but was able to play at a very high level bc the Saints changed their entire offense to take a lot of pressure off of him.  I guess we'll just see what happens this year.

On 4/12/2018 at 7:25 AM, Superman(DH23) said:

Personally I think this is Mannings, Brady's, Roethlisberger,  and Brees' last year.  I give Rivers and Rodgers 2 more.

Despite absorbing an unreal level of punishment during his career, Roethlisberger could play longer than anyone thinks. The second half plus of the season did not reveal a future HOF QB on the way out of the NFL. After that horrendous first game against Jacksonville early in the season, Big Ben shredded that defense in the playoff game. At least two more years for the eventual first ballot HOF QB. 

Ben wasn’t in the poll but I give him two years before retirement. 

He’s pretty much been an average to below average QB the last three years who has been carried to slightly better than average numbers the last few seasons by an unbelievably talented supporting cast. 

On 4/13/2018 at 5:58 AM, Superman(DH23) said:

You typically dont see signs of slowing down, you see players fall off a cliff.  1 year Lach looks like he is as good as ever has and is in contention for dpoy the next year its clear he cant play anymore.  Brett Favre follows up perhaps the best year of his career with one of his worst and what ultimately was his last.  Brees was clearly not his old self last year but was able to play at a very high level bc the Saints changed their entire offense to take a lot of pressure off of him.  I guess we'll just see what happens this year.

Yeah, I think some people forget just how sudden this can be, even for a less physically demanding position like QB. Peyton's fall off a cliff was sudden. Favre's, as you say. Injuries helped, admittedly, but Romo went from MVP candidate to career over in one season flat. Steve McNair went from 13-3 in Baltimore to being benched repeatedly for Kyle Boller (who had already failed in Baltimore.) After his amazing 2002, Rich Gannon looked way worse in 2003 even before the injury. Kurt Warner just kind of stopped.

Sometimes you do get a slow decline, but often it just plummets abruptly. Either health or age or decaying surroundings. It also doesn't help that injuries that can normally be recovered from take far more of a toll at that point. Makes these things hard to predict.

I think Manning is probably done after this year. Really he’s pretty much a below average starting QB now and I think the Giants should draft Josh Rosen and redshirt him for a year. 

I think Brady and Brees probably have two years left each, wouldn’t stun me if one/both fall off a cliff in 2018 and hang them up after the season, but I’ll say 2.

Big Ben says 3 more years I’ll choose to believe that.

Rivers is the one guy that I could see playing for quite a few more years because he’s the only guy that hasn’t regressed really. His game was never really built on either mobility or a cannon arm and I could see him being decent for another 5 years really. 

On 4/11/2018 at 11:07 PM, Classic said:

Eli can still play as his preformances have never been great and with OBJ and Engram he really can be game manger into his 40s, so as long the Giants defense is upper echelon.

When have QBs with questionable decision making ever made good game managers? I guess maybe Sanchez or Bortles - both of whom had elite defenses and unrelenting running games. Most don’t think they’re good game managers, though. 

He’s currently playing with three receivers, no run game, a bad offensive line, a new HC, and a defense that has question marks - in a division with two young quarterbacks (one MVP caliber) and an MVP candidate from the previous season. If the thought is that his environment and supporting cast will play a role in his career length, then - as presently constructed - his days are looking shorter, not longer.  

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

When have QBs with questionable decision making ever made good game managers? I guess maybe Sanchez or Bortles - both of whom had elite defenses and unrelenting running games. Most don’t think they’re good game managers, though. 

He’s currently playing with three receivers, no run game, a bad offensive line, a new HC, and a defense that has question marks - in a division with two young quarterbacks (one MVP caliber) and an MVP candidate from the previous season. If the thought is that his environment and supporting cast will play a role in his career length, then - as presently constructed - his days are looking shorter, not longer.  

He played bad last year but not as awful as those two terrible QBs. Sanchez is a million times worse than Eli who will be HOF. Eli also now has Shurmur who took Case Keenum and made him look like a pro bowl QB and it was just 2 seasons ago when Eli was going toe to toe with Brees and tossing 6 tds. If the Giants G.M can get 1 more run out of Eli, I don't see why you wouldn't. A rookie QB isn't beating the Eagles but Barkley and OBJ and Pat Shurmur should.

3 hours ago, Classic said:

He played bad last year but not as awful as those two terrible QBs.

Never said he did. I said those two are game managers with bad decision making - something Eli will have to be if he’s going to be a game manager, like you said.

Sanchez is a million times worse than Eli who will be HOF.

Never said they were equals. Plus, Eli’s resume (which isn’t HOF worthy IMO) has nothing to do with how good he is now.

Eli also now has Shurmur who took Case Keenum and made him look like a pro bowl QB

Yeah, because Shurmur has a history of turning old QBs around or something? Plus, he’s working with a significantly worse supporting cast.

and it was just 2 seasons ago when Eli was going toe to toe with Brees and tossing 6 tds.

Again, doesn’t address my point. Or yours for that matter. You said Eli could be a game manager into his 40s, what he did seasons ago doesn’t matter.

If the Giants G.M can get 1 more run out of Eli, I don't see why you wouldn't. A rookie QB isn't beating the Eagles but Barkley and OBJ and Pat Shurmur should.

So...how many good game managers have there been that are bad decision makers again?

Archived