Cowboys cut Dez Bryant

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

I’m sure they tried.  But I seriously doubt any team was gonna trade even a 7th round pick for that contract. 

He'll more like a Oswieler to the Browns type trade was needed given that contract.

Jerry was being stingy with his picks, that's all.?

On 4/15/2018 at 5:27 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

First off, I didnt say its a guarantee....just that I could see it happening if he is healthy and goes to a team with a decent QB.

Secondly,  people on here love to claim players are "done".    I know you arent saying Dez is done, but too many are writing him off.

Third, thats similar to the logic people used years back when the Patriots acquired Randy Moss.      No one has admitted it since, but I clearly remember alot of people claiming he wasnt the same player he used to be when the Patriots traded for him.    

Now, in no way do I think he will have that kind of an effect on whatever team he signs with, but factoring in injuries and situation, I feel like many are underestimating him.    Sure, he might not be what he used to be, but if healthy, I still think he is very capable of being a top 10 WR, and 10 WRs can put up the numbers I said I could see him putting up.

Randy never seemed to have the health issues that Dez has. I’m not writing him off but i do think he is overrated but if he is healthy and puts the team first he could do some damage

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Randy never seemed to have the health issues that Dez has. I’m not writing him off but i do think he is overrated but if he is healthy and puts the team first he could do some damage

At one point, Dez was somewhat overrated, but at this point, I think he is underrated, or at worst, rated appropriately.  

11 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

At one point, Dez was somewhat overrated, but at this point, I think he is underrated, or at worst, rated appropriately.  

Idk it seems like the fact Dez got released was made to be such a bigger deal than Jordy getting cut but Jordy has been the better WR for a while

6 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Idk it seems like the fact Dez got released was made to be such a bigger deal than Jordy getting cut but Jordy has been the better WR for a while

First off, people are far more critical of Dallas in general than pretty much any other team.   Guess that comes with being "America's Team".

Secondly, for the Packers, Davante Adams has emerged as a very good WR,  Cobb can still be a decent 2, and they signed Jimmy Graham.     The Cowboys best receiving option after cutting Dez is a declining, soon to be 36 year old TE.    So cutting Dez was a bigger deal overall than the Packers cutting Jordy.  

Third, Jordy got more praise from fans when he was cut than Dez is getting now. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, cddolphin said:

Could be. Maybe since he made $56m thus far he thinks he can afford a risky bet. More likely an ego thing though.

You can take that to the bank.   He’s an alpha WR.  Ego is their middle name (always open; more targets would have won game, etc.)

From rotoworld:

NFL reporter Ed Werder reports free agent Dez Bryant turned down a multi-year contract from the Ravens and wants a one-year, prove-it deal.

Werder, formerly of ESPN, is based out of the Dallas area and has big connections in the area. Once Bryant passed on Baltimore's offer, the Ravens likely turned their attention to Willie Snead and have moved on from Bryant. Bryant will be much more attractive to teams on a one-year contract as well. He's aiming for a big season in hopes of securing a multi-year deal in 2019.

Why would the Ravens not agree to a 1-year prove it deal type contract?

8 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

From rotoworld:

Why would the Ravens not agree to a 1-year prove it deal type contract?

Roto's summary of Werder's report is a bit odd.  Look at the tweet above:

"He apparently wants a big 1-year deal and chance to secure bigger long-term contract as a UFA from beginning in 2019."

A "big" one-year deal is a bit different from a "prove-it" contract.  No way we could fit that under the cap.  This is going to limit what teams he can go to at this point (as the cap hit would all go into this year), unless some team is willing to do something like what the Pats did for Revis (large option).

45 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I'll give him this - he doesn't lack confidence.   If this report is true, turning down BAL's multi-year offer, is only likely going to get him a 1-year prove-it deal after the draft.   Betting on himself.

If this is what he's aiming for, then we're not a good fit for two reasons:

1. He's not going to put up good enough stats here to warrant that second contract elsewhere due to QB play and system.

2. We don't have enough money in the first place to offer him anything like a "big" 1-year deal.

The thought of Dez was always better than the reality of getting Dez.

4 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

If this is what he's aiming for, then we're not a good fit for two reasons:

1. He's not going to put up good enough stats here to warrant that second contract elsewhere due to QB play and system.

2. We don't have enough money in the first place to offer him anything like a "big" 1-year deal.

The thought of Dez was always better than the reality of getting Dez.

TBH I suspect Dez did you guys a favor.  For all the reasons you cited.  Would have just been wasted $ and an all around headache for all parties involved.    Like us and JC last year but on a smaller scale (by the end JC was disgruntled and we wasted 3M).  

Archived