College Football / NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don't want any more middling physical talents at wr, I want a 6'4 freak.

So do I, I just personally haven't seen any that I love like a Julio, A.J. Green, etc. Simmie Coates is intriguing, but I'm not sure how "freakish" he is athletically. Besides, right now 6'1 looks like a freak athlete next to some of the very small WR's that we've liked drafting.

Amari Cooper is 6'1, so was Torry Holt, so was Anquan Boldin, and Jerry Rice was only an inch taller at 6'2. 

I'm not advocating for taking a 5'10 dude high in the first here...6'1 is still capable of being a matchup problem for CB/S as well as a guy who can be a possession, RAC, or Red Zone guy.

JMHO

Wanted to come in and chip in my two cents and I see someone has already mentioned the youngster from Texas. Darnold and Josh Hill looked VERY pedestrian yesterday.....I am still loving Luke Faulk.....Tenn has a HUGE DT that is going to be a problem....McKinzee's son..the Raiders GM......that kid can play....

Not too much else jumped out at me this week.....Except for a WR I want with one of our second round picks......Debo Samual (Wr for the Gamecoks)  attending USC...this kid is the Truth he makes plays with the Football in his hands......

Also I am starting to look at the upcoming draft also...and I think I want Saquan Barkley as our top pick also.....with our second first round pick..I want the top Pass Rusher Available (I like the kid from LA tech)......take BPA with our Highest 2nd round pick (Malik Jefferson from Tex perhaps.....I been talking about this kid for 2 years already)....then use the rest of round 2 and 3 to stock WR (Debo Samuals) and CB....Use round 4 to finish stocking the secondary (another CB and Saftey)

I reserve the right to completely change course on that though......because I do love Barkley....but there are two backs that COULD make me think to go in another direction (1rst round top PR and Top CB) because there are two backs that have grabbed my attention....Royce Freeman....and this Kid from Sandiego State (with the upset of stanford) Rashaad Penny??? Where in the hell did this guy come from....He's a beast....

And last but not least....watched some HS ball this weekend also......Hunter Henry the TE for the Chargers from Arkansas....has a little Brother that is just a JR in HS.....this Kid may be the nations top TE when he comes out in another year......The Henry's are an Arkansas family...so I see him going there....

The 2018 draft strategy is going to be very interesting. We're two games in, so I'm far from throwing in the towel. However, I think most of us probably can agree that this team is likely, at best, a 5-6 win team. Best guess, I have us picking about 5th in the draft. I think we're better than some teams like San Fran, NYJ, and Indy, and maybe a couple others like Cinci. If we were to be in a spot where a top tier QB is available though, it's tough to say what the execs do at this point. I'm not sold on the thought that they're building the future around Kizer. He has 14 games to showcase whether they are going to build around him. It's not a fair evaluation from a developmental standpoint, but it's the modern day reality with a second round QB if other options become present. Jimmy G could be another option. 

If QB is out the window, I'd have to agree with the board. Big time QB/Barkley have to be priority options. Give the offense some playmakers.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

These boys and girls are called the exceptions (if we're including Fournette as he's played all of two games, great example btw).

Google first round running backs drafted in the last decade and get back with me.

You're going to be surprised by runningbacks the next decade. I think we will see a trend of runningbacks "improving" and offensive line play "plummeting." It won't be in the traditional 30+ carries type of way though. Runningbacks will become extensions of passing games. Leveon Bell types will be desired and cause teams to draft guys high.

9 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

You're going to be surprised by runningbacks the next decade. I think we will see a trend of runningbacks "improving" and offensive line play "plummeting." It won't be in the traditional 30+ carries type of way though. Runningbacks will become extensions of passing games. Leveon Bell types will be desired and cause teams to draft guys high.

I mean, that's an interesting projection, but the dude you gave as an example went in round 2.

RB's are generally thought of as "safe" and instant fixes to running games but the fact is they bust at a really high rate in the 1st round and the ones who don't bust typically have shorter careers than other positions as well.

The idea of a single back getting hella touches is a thing of the past for most teams.  Many teams use a stable of backs as they cost less, are more versatile and an injury is less impactful. Not to mention it allows teams to constantly have fresh legs in the game.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have a stud, but those guys have consistently been found pretty much anywhere in the draft.

I really enjoy watching Saquon Barkley play and he's a 1st round talent all day every day but his running ability isn't on the level of many of the great top 15 pick college RB prospects (Darren Mcfadden (remember coming out of college), Jonathan Stewart, Reggie Bush, Marshawn Lynch, Leonard Fournette, Adrian Peterson) and is being over-exaggerated due in part to the RB renaissance we're experiencing due to the Ezekial Elliot effect. 

Another factor that likely drops Barkley down the board is the RB depth in this upcoming draft as it's going to be likely the deepest year in the last decade if not ever with their being at least 6 RB1 prospects out there likely to enter the draft.

More than any other position prospect pool depth effects the draft position of RBs.

Don't get it twisted he's a great prospect but he does not possess elite/rare in terms of quickness, power, feet, contact balance, vision, patience, urgency, burst, elusiveness, and long finishing speed that those aforementioned players possessed.

They were top10 picks all day.

They put up crazy 1800 and 1900 yard seasons (they played on some good teams as well); but Barkley thus far only has a 1400 yard season...OF course game play and team dynamics are more important than numbers but to go top 10 at RB you have to check off every last box including wow/rare/generational running prodcution.

We'll see how this year goes for him.

He has really good long speed reportedly (4.33 but that's a college staff hand time; so probably 4.4 when he comes out) as well as on film and has great contact balance and great power, but his vision, elusiveness and quick feet through the whole are lacking.

His game is very much like Ezekial Elliot's in that he is a complete back across various dimensions but not elite/generational in any specific category (Zeke was a much better blocker and pass catcher than Barkley at this stage).

The Cowboy and Zeke were a perfect fit, but Zeke is not a "do it all put the team on my back" make multiple people miss elite prospect like Lynch or Peterson coming out of college and would've likely fell to picks 13-20 range if not selected by the Cowboys according to most scouts.

That's where Barkley likely fits in based on his talents; picks 12-24....due non-elite vision, difficulty seeing the cut back, and some issues thus far in blitz pick up and quick feet to and through the hole when in pro-run alignments.

Still one heck of a prospect and hope the Browns can get him with our secon pick if it's in such a range.

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Also, I don't see people objecting to drafting a CB in round 1, but a lot of current studs went in other rounds. Hell, Greg Williams has made a career off of developing UDFA / later round guys.

Then bring in UDFA's.

Right now corner hasn't been a huge issue tbh and if these guys keep playing like they have I don't know if I go corner in round one either unless they are obvious BPA.

If all goes well bring in a 2nd day pick to develop with Wilson and BBC, maybe two if the opportunity presents itself.

You're crazy if you think Barkley isn't every bit of the prospect all of those guys were. The only one that may be clearly better is Peterson. There's only about 4 I can think of that were better.

barry

peterson

walker

jackson

MAYBE Ricky Williams 

Archived