College Football / NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

4 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

He's also playing for a really bad team with no defense whatsoever. Probably feels like he has to score on every drive.

It's no excuse for some of the bonehead picks but it likely doesn't help.

I'm good with Landry or Arden Key

but I want to see Garrett first before I make my opinion on the defense 

Ogbah has been probably my most disappointing defender, because I actually expected something out of him. He gets zero pressure and ranks at the bottom of the league in efficiency. Sure, Myles will help. He can make a bad DE less bad but doesn't turn a bad player into a good one. Was really hoping we had bookends. Seems we have one extra hole we didn't initially anticipate.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Assuming a nightmare scenario in which we pick 2nd:

1. Josh Rosen

1. Calvin Ridley

2. Simmie Cobbs Jr.

2. Deon Cain

2. Royce Freeman

Any defensive help we need, target in free agency.

Lol this board would be looking for another qb by week 4 when an all rookie offense struggles.

I didn't know where to put this.

I'm ticked at all the people anointing Deshaun Watson because he was good against the Patriots.

The Patriots defense is dookie this year. You know your defense is dookie when ESPN's fantasy #'s say that it's the best defense for a QB to be playing, when to get to that point you've faced the murderer's row of Alex Smith, Drew Brees (legit), and a rookie.

End rant. Watson is still not good. He could become good. He's not there yet.

4 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

Can someone please explain the Sam Darnold hype to me?! I don't see it

That was the worst game of his career. And his first loss since his first game. It looks like he's lacking confidence at the moment. Whether it's expectations or lack of chemistry with the receivers and some o-line trouble, he's a bit off.

That being said, he typically is very accurate, has good instincts and has the clutch gene. He also has great size and is athletic. Great at passing on the move and has innate movement within the pocket and out.

If you're judging him on that game alone, it's unfair. If you're judging him on this season, there's some validity to the question as he's had some tough moments particularly with forcing the ball. If you're judging him on all 15 games of his college career so far, the hype is warranted as he has a great skill set and is a proven winner.

Best QB in the class easily, still, for me. Needs to get back on track for the rest of the season though and not fall into a full blown crisis of confidence. It's only one loss.

Average arm, questionable decision making.

People have gotten on the hype train a little much. Still a good QB prospect but not an elite one. I don't love Kizer but at this point wonder if he's as likely to succeed as about anyone at QB in the 2018 class. 

8 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Rosen and Darnold are closer than ESPN wants to admit.

Who does ESPN like? Darnold?

Being out of the country, I mainly catch the talk about them during their games or when they're advertising UCLA or USC during other games. They come across like they adore/have bias for both of them and just love the "Southern California kid" narrative.

Last year we got a lot of USC over here and I was leading the Darnold train. I'm still a big fan but I have to admit I'm a bit worried by the regression this year. He's still making some wow throws and clutch plays (not yesterday) but he's also playing without nearly the same confidence and is forcing some bad picks. I like some things about Rosen but not nearly as much. Lesser arm, forces the ball into traffic and also has some dreadful picks this year.

Both are also playing with teams that aren't anywhere near as good as the consensus thinks though. Well nobody thinks UCLA are any good actually, he's fighting an uphill battle there with what he has to score each week. But USC are also not nearly as good as people think at WR, and on defense. Problems with the o-line too.

Some iffy games from both Darnold and Rosen (his stats don't tell the true story) this year but it would be remiss to cast aside Darnold's season last year.

He might be a bit overhyped but he's shown a skill set and winning mentality that turned that team around from a bad place.

I still like both QBs more than Kizer. I like Kizer's physical capabilities at least though, so we'll see how it plays out through the rest of their seasons.

Idc what we do next year I will have hope if we don't draft a QB and let Kizer develop and draft Barkley. Barkley is a better prospect then Zeke. He's unbelievable and would give us a legit playmaker. Like a Top5 RB in his league. Then If we got James or Fitzpatrick omg 

Archived