College Football / NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

So we can't draft Rudolph because of Weeden? I guess we should just scratch Rosen off the list too because of Cade McNown and say no to Sam Darnold because of Matt Leinart. Matt Barkley and Cody Kesler and Marc Sanchez

I guess that leaves us with Josh Allen.

I have solved the QB riddle fellas. It is Josh Allen or death because I cannot think of a single Wyoming QB who has ever failed in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Dogbite said:

So we can't draft Rudolph because of Weeden? I guess we should just scratch Rosen off the list too because of Cade McNown and say no to Sam Darnold because of Matt Leinart. Matt Barkley and Cody Kesler and Marc Sanchez

I have solved the QB riddle fellas. It is Josh Allen or death because I cannot think of a single Wyoming QB who has ever failed in the NFL.

You know these comparisons don't really work except for the Weeden one. Rudolph is a system QB. Until Mahomes lights things up, I wouldn't want to be caught dead with an Air-Raid style college QB for the foreseeable future. 

13 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I read that. That's really not true IMO. I've watched most of his games last season and this (we get most USC games late here) and he goes through progressions well. I've seen him find his 3rd option many times for a big play. 

I've watched a lot of him, and watched probably 3 hours of game reviews from this year, which has probably been his roughest year turnovers wise. He definitely spreads it around and reads the field. You can see his eyes and helmet moving looking for the best target. Doesn't mean he makes the correct throw every time, hence the INT totals so far, but it's not because he can't see the field. 

I like Mayfield too. Dude loves the game and loves to compete. But is he the next Brees, or Chase Daniel? 

Lamar Jackson has all the potential to be great, but can he play in a system where 90% of your play as a QB is in the pocket? 

It is a very rare year for potential 1st round QB's with the potential for 4 or5  true franchise QB's                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       The consensus top 5 QB's for the 2018 draft are:

1) Sam Darnold - His game really picks up  when the team is in trouble, has a solid pro arm and can really move around in the pocket. Checks out well for his leadership qualities and his intangibles are very solid. Rated as a sure fire franchise QB.

2) Josh Rosen - One of the best deliveries seen in a long time,  beautiful form when throwing a football and a strong arm. He appears to have matured this season, not that unusual for a young kid His Combine interview will be especially important to him. He will battle Darnold for the #1 spot all season and is also rated as a sure fire franchise QB.

3) Josh Allen - his stats are very misleading this season, as the talent around him basically sucks. His WR's are all new and cannot get any separation and drop a lot of balls. His leadership qualities and intangibles are off the charts. His has an A+ arm and great mobility for as 6'5", 235lbder. His upside is as high as scouts have seen in a prospect, but some teams will not like that his stats which are rather mediocre this season and he does not face a lot of tough competition this season. However, the consensus says, with far better pro coaching and playing with far more talented players, his guy could be really special and turn out to be the best of the crop given a little time,.

4) Lamar Jackson - Strong arm and can make all the throws. This year, he is working with a totally different set of skill players which has limited his production. However, his intangibles are very solid and we all know, he is extremely athletic and mobile in the pocket. Will need to be drafted by a team willing to adjust their playbook to suit his skill set. He reminds you of Vick, but he is a much better passer. Not much experience as a pocket passer and tends to take off a bit too much, which sent him to #4.

5) Baker Mayfield - Has shown a stronger arm than people thought he possessed, is mobile and very accurate . A little short for some GM's and scouts liking, but his intangibles are off the charts, a tremendous leader of men, has absolutely no fear of anything, great pocket presence. He will be a NFL starting QB. His arm and shortness drop him to #5.

Other QB's still in the Mix as 1st rounders:

1) Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

2) Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma St. HC has not had a lot of success producing pro QB's and his system tends to hide their weaknesses.

Later Round Prospects at the QB position:

1) Jake Browning, Wash

2) Luke Falk, Washington St. - Another HC whose QB's always produce immense stats, but none have ever amounted to much as a pro.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

3) Austin Allen, Arkansas

4) Quinton Flowers, South Florida  

5) Logan Woodside, Toledo

6) Riley Ferguson, Memphis St.

Just now, Iamcanadian said:

It is a very rare year for potential 1st round QB's with the potential for 4 or5  true franchise QB's                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       The consensus top 5 QB's for the 2018 draft are:

1) Sam Darnold - His game really picks up  when the team is in trouble, has a solid pro arm and can really move around in the pocket. Checks out well for his leadership qualities and his intangibles are very solid. Rated as a sure fire franchise QB.

2) Josh Rosen - One of the best deliveries seen in a long time,  beautiful form when throwing a football and a strong arm. He appears to have matured this season, not that unusual for a young kid His Combine interview will be especially important to him. He will battle Darnold for the #1 spot all season and is also rated as a sure fire franchise QB.

3) Josh Allen - his stats are very misleading this season, as the talent around him basically sucks. His WR's are all new and cannot get any separation and drop a lot of balls. His leadership qualities and intangibles are off the charts. His has an A+ arm and great mobility for as 6'5", 235lbder. His upside is as high as scouts have seen in a prospect, but some teams will not like that his stats which are rather mediocre this season and he does not face a lot of tough competition this season. However, the consensus says, with far better pro coaching and playing with far more talented players, his guy could be really special and turn out to be the best of the crop given a little time,.

4) Lamar Jackson - Strong arm and can make all the throws. This year, he is working with a totally different set of skill players which has limited his production. However, his intangibles are very solid and we all know, he is extremely athletic and mobile in the pocket. Will need to be drafted by a team willing to adjust their playbook to suit his skill set. He reminds you of Vick, but he is a much better passer. Not much experience as a pocket passer and tends to take off a bit too much, which sent him to #4.

5) Baker Mayfield - Has shown a stronger arm than people thought he possessed, is mobile and very accurate . A little short for some GM's and scouts liking, but his intangibles are off the charts, a tremendous leader of men, has absolutely no fear of anything, great pocket presence. He will be a NFL starting QB. His arm and shortness drop him to #5.

Other QB's still in the Mix as 1st rounders:

1) Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

2) Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma St. HC has not had a lot of success producing pro QB's and his system tends to hide their weaknesses.

Later Round Prospects at the QB position:

1) Jake Browning, Wash

2) Luke Falk, Washington St. - Another HC whose QB's always produce immense stats, but none have ever amounted to much as a pro.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

3) Austin Allen, Arkansas

4) Quinton Flowers, South Florida  

5) Logan Woodside, Toledo

6) Riley Ferguson, Memphis St.

I'd add Clayton Thorson Q.B. Northwestern. He is getting some love from scouts.

6 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I've watched a lot of him, and watched probably 3 hours of game reviews from this year, which has probably been his roughest year turnovers wise. He definitely spreads it around and reads the field. You can see his eyes and helmet moving looking for the best target. Doesn't mean he makes the correct throw every time, hence the INT totals so far, but it's not because he can't see the field. 

I like Mayfield too. Dude loves the game and loves to compete. But is he the next Brees, or Chase Daniel? 

Lamar Jackson has all the potential to be great, but can he play in a system where 90% of your play as a QB is in the pocket? 

I agree with everything there, exactly how I see it. Every game I watch of Darnold has numerous wow moments. My favourite prospect in years taking it all into account. I like Mayfield too but like you say there's great and terrible player comparisons that can easily be made with him. Maybe not quite as high on Jackson but in today's NFL I wouldn't count it out. He ticks two boxes at an elite level, rocket arm and genuinely out of this world elusiveness. A system completely catered to him with great talent would be essential. Important for everyone but I think especially for him.

Overall I would say for me it's:

1. Darnold (he has traits of many QBs)

2. Rosen (I think he's similar to Eli)

3. Mayfield (too easy to make comps both good and bad)

4. Jackson (obv comp being that horrible prick who played for the Falcons)

I haven't really seen Josh Allen play much.

I think Rosen will be the #1 overall type guy. He has all the natural ability you want from a QB and would have spent the past three years in a pro style type offense under a NFL type head coach. 

If the browns truly want to go QB I think it has to be him. 

Hopefully they get the #1 overall pick again and get their choice of QBs. I would be angry to settle for what’s left if another team finishes worse than the browns and they take the best QB. 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I think Rosen will be the #1 overall type guy. He has all the natural ability you want from a QB and would have spent the past three years in a pro style type offense under a NFL type head coach. 

If the browns truly want to go QB I think it has to be him. 

Hopefully they get the #1 overall pick again and get their choice of QBs. I would be angry to settle for what’s left if another team finishes worse than the browns and they take the best QB. 

I like Rosen. His mechanics are on point, he has a nice feel for the pocket and understands the game. He reminds me of Eli. Which to be honest is worth the first pick. But it's also a streaky QB who will dropback and throw a nice ball... straight to the defender.

Darnold on the other hand. I would actually argue he's the more natural QB, even in spite of his funky mechanics, slightly awkward ball handling and relative inexperience at the position. There's just something about the dude, when I watch him play, that makes me think wow he could be one of the best. To make it clear I'm not saying he's any of the following guys but just pointing out traits I see that compare: his movement outside of the pocket and even extending plays inside the pocket reminds me of the way Rodgers does it. I wish I knew how to post gifs to help explain it. His feel for the rush at times is like a sixth sense, dodging it with sidesteps and forward movement and even climbing into the pocket whilst his eyes stay locked downfield and he makes a great play. I've seen him do this so many times. At the end of the Texas game to get into FG range with seconds left. Most recent Utah game are two examples off the top of my head of recent games. He's also got some Winston/Luck traits to him. To use a cliché, he's deceptively athletic and move the chains with his legs. He's a clutch player. The only time I can recall him not coming through is the Wash St. game a few weeks ago. That's his only loss apart from his first ever game last year. And USC really isn't the powerhouse they're made out to be so they haven't all been gimme wins. I remember being in Indianapolis last year when they got bounced 52-3 by Bama before they put him in. He had to put up 52 to beat Penn State in the Rose Bowl.

Where he needs to get better IMO is in improving his accuracy which is pretty good but can get spotty at times. His dropback is a bit clumsy and his mechanics are funky but I don't know I'd want him to change that too much. People got on him at the end of last year about it and I feel like him trying to 'fix' it has contributed a bit to his playing with a lack of confidence at times. The WRs and o-line haven't helped too though.

I bang on a lot about Darnold on here and have done since last year, but I really see a big-time prospect that's being picked apart this season, which seems like the standard media thing to do to the top QB. The Rose Bowl was the high point. Now let's find a way to make him overhyped (the INTs) and ignore that he's made a ton of great plays again this season. 

I've watched three of Rosen's games this year and whilst I'd be happy enough if we end up drafting him because I think he will be a nice pro QB, Darnold is the one I'm truly hoping for.

Looking forward to the USC-UCLA game...

11 hours ago, Dogbite said:

I lied to everyone. Josh Allen is not the secret ingredient to a successful football team. I did some research last night and found this;

1960 NFL Draft 8th round with the 188th pick the Cleveland Browns select Jim Waldon QB Wyoming. 

A failed Browns QB from Wyoming. Clearly Josh Allen cannot be the guy along with Rosen, Darnold and Rudolph. Can't tough Jackson either because Brohm was a disaster and Chris Redman and Dave Ragone were pretty bad themselves.

I don’t know how this forum will make it without Mel. Who will fill the gap? Hopefully an apprentice is waiting in the wings to tell us about the 2018 prospects that will fail due to cankles, hip curvature, or who their junior high calculus teacher was. My heart wants him to go, but my head tells me that his desire to educate the uneducated football minds will keep him coming back. 

Archived