MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

13 hours ago, beekay414 said:

He basically is Nate Diaz. I mean, Diaz backed his talk up too. Doesn't make him any less corny/not really that good.

LIS, dude is 6-4 at WW. That isn't a "fight for a title" resume regardless of how his last two fights went. Feed him to Woodley and watch Woodley expose him mercilessly.

Woodley's gas tank wouldn't last.

Dont let me catch you at Whole Foods...

giphy.gif

Edited by RaiderX
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KellChippy said:

I think he is just fighting bigger, more well rounded fighters than he was in the past.  A lot of his earlier wins were against guys who also fought at MW, or who were stiff and lesser athletes.  The first time he fought a guy who matched his size (Gus) he struggled.  Santos and Smith are better now than Gus ever was.  And I agree he dominated Smith, but I don’t totally excuse his tentative performance against OSP for ring rust.  The field is catching up to him.

Idk the OSP fight was forever again and he still dominated him. The 2nd time he fought Gusty though he crushed him. I think he learned alot from this and it wouldn’t surprise me if Santos got finished if they ran it back

43 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Bones couldn't finish a massive underdog whose knee went out in the 2nd round.

Someone needs to end this reign. 

He wasn't that big of one compared to Anthony Smith and other. Not to mention Santos was still throwing power kicks with that same leg.

Jonny Bones has NEVA LOST

48 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Does it? Yea it was a phenomenal KO but i dont think it changed anything with how we view Askren

I think it does because he got away with stuff like that in ONE and Bellator all the time. Now the average middle of the pack contender figured out a simple strategy against the most one dimensional fighter in the UFC, and executed it to perfection. People get enamored with just having good take down defense with people like Askren and Khabib instead of going on the offensive. The only way to beat either of them is to be the aggressor. Look back at how Robbie was OWNING Askren's soul until he got even more lucky than Andrade against Rose

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I think it does because he got away with stuff like that in ONE and Bellator all the time. Now the average middle of the pack contender figured out a simple strategy against the most one dimensional fighter in the UFC, and executed it to perfection. People get enamored with just having good take down defense with people like Askren and Khabib instead of going on the offensive. The only way to beat either of them is to be the aggressor. Look back at how Robbie was OWNING Askren's soul until he got even more lucky than Andrade against Rose

Being the aggressor can backfire just as easily as trying to stop them

53 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Being the aggressor can backfire just as easily as trying to stop them

I guess being the aggressor may not be the best term, but show a little offensive game in the fight instead of just letting them bring the fight to you like everyone besides Conor in one round and Lawler before he was screwed.

12 hours ago, mse326 said:

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but the first fight back from a suspension not looking your best is normal. He didn't look his best after he came back from injury either. I know he was still allowed to train obviously but there is no substitute for actual competition. In this fight I never saw anyone go after Jones with the intent that Santos did, so it's hard to judge if the tentativeness was in response to that (which would be reasonable) or being off the juice (also reasonable). I just don't see these two fights as enough to form that belief. Question it? sure. Believe it? Not yet.

Well he fought just a few months ago, so there shouldn't be any ring rust or anything. He's fought 3 times since December now.

He still has the fight smarts and the elite ability to control distance, which is why Santos and Smith couldn't really ever have him in trouble. But in both fights it's seemed like he's struggled to kick it up a gear, against guys who really shouldn't be on his level. To me that could easily be an indicator of a lack of confidence due to not having PEDs.

interesting thought. they were talking about how many of Jon's opponents fought at middleweight, either before or after they fought him. That's two in a row now who moved up and got a LHW title shot fairly quickly.

He could easily be fighting another one soon. I believe Weidman's moving up to LHW, and if he were to get a couple of wins at 205, it wouldn't surprise me to see him in a title shot before long.