Packers Forum 2018 NFL Draft Discussion (NO SPOILERS!)

CWood21

Draft Pick- Jersey numbers

# Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Age Exp. College
23 Alexander, Jaire CB 5-11 190 21 R Louisville
43 Bradley, Hunter LS 6-2 241 23 R Mississippi State
42  Burks, Oren LB 6-3 235 23 R Vanderbilt
91 Donnerson, Kendall LB 6-3 249 22 R Southeast Missouri
37 Jackson, Josh CB 6-0 190 22 R Iowa
99 Looney, James DL 6-2 287 22 R California
61 Madison, Cole G 6-5 308 23 R Washington State
82 Moore, J'Mon WR 6-3 205 22 R Missouri
  Scott, JK P 6-5 208 21 R Alabama
19 St. Brown, Equanimeous WR 6-5 214 21 R Notre Dame
83 Valdes-Scantling, Marquez WR 6-4 206 23 R South Florida

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Hmm...didn't give away 55 (Brooks) or 73 (Evans).

20 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Gave the Janis number right to MVS. 

They're not even trying to dance around it. 

Pro Bowl level contributor on STs incoming. 

I like the tape on all three of our rookie WR's.

Each is smooth but raw. Big but with good speed.

There's gonna be some serious competition at this position.

Davis better gear up and bring his WR A game to training camp.

Allison better work on his breaks and enhancing his quicks.

I couldnt tell you what Yancey has to do - but I suggest he be in shape and ready to fight for a spot.

I like all three of these guys.

Not as WR1s but AR can make these guys better. 

I love this draft. I wish they could have nabbed Derwin James instead, especially ending up with Jackson in the 2nd but the move down to pick up a first next year is too valuable. Jackson is amazing value and now CB is deep to the point I don't think Williams and House both make the roster. 

Burks is going to be a potentially better version of how they tried to play Burnett or Joe Thomas at ILB.

The WRs are all outside types really. Makes me think Montgomery, Graham and Cobb are going to be inside options with Adams and whoever rises to the top between Allison, Davis, and the rest.

It almost seems like a joke drafting a P and a LS, but it sounds like they might have found a rare P with both touch and power, so I'll be cautiously hopeful on that one. 

The late picks seem solid but unexciting.

I'm one happy Packers fan.

I cant wait to see our new WRs in actual game situations. I honestly dont know squat about any of them other than reviews and the tape I'm looking thru but I like them in reverse order of how they were drafted with EQ first - then MVS - then JM - although I think JM the most likely to produce at the NFL level the quickest as I think him the most complete and "NFL ready" of the three.

I think EQ is really smooth in his route running. He's not snapping off any sharp breaks or double moves yet (but the guy is 6'5" so some slack must be offered) and somebody might coach him up to increase his foot speed or pumping which will enhance his quicks & cutting. He's a lanky dude who shows good hands and flexibility. Dig on him will probably be the same suffered by Allision - can he get separation at the NFL level? I like that we've got a big outside WR. I know Michael Clark's still there - but EQ looks far more polished at this stage.

I like Valdez's speed - in and out of his cuts / straight line as well as his attitude.  I'd recommend the team not "Dupre" him too soon and run him over the middle until he gets more body weight to him.  SS's and LB's wont be concerned taking him on at the moment and would love to knock him out on short routes over the middle. Keep him outside for awhile - but he's got quick stop and go to him - which is nice to see in a 6'4" guy.

Moore is the back shoulder artist - hence, he stands to get AR's love the quickest and he was a bigtime producer at Missouri so it stands to reason he'll push for field time the quickest. I've got to see more tape of him though and get a better sense of his game speed.

In any case, I like the "add" made to this position group. Would I be happier had a Miller or Kirk been part of the mix? No doubt - but life isnt fair.

Now we're only about 9 months away from mock drafts having us take the next can't miss guard or a receiver who ends up lasting until the 26th overall pick and the second receiver off the board even though people will try to justify he's worth the 14th overall pick. 

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Now we're only about 9 months away from mock drafts having us take the next can't miss guard or a receiver who ends up lasting until the 26th overall pick and the second receiver off the board even though people will try to justify he's worth the 14th overall pick. 

We have two firsts so we can actually move up and get WR1 next year 

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Now we're only about 9 months away from mock drafts having us take the next can't miss Tackle or EDGE who ends up lasting until the 26th overall pick and the second Tackle off the board even though people will try to justify he's worth the 14th overall pick. 

Fixed...

+++++

I too wish we had gone with Derwin James, but I really liked Alexander. I have mixed emotions about Josh Jackson because his tackling is atrocious and his 40 time was rather slow, but his ball skills are elite not to mention the fact that he was drafted where he should've gone in the first place. He may be better at Free Safety or a rover position eventually. 

I also rolled my eyes when we drafted a punter followed by a long-snapper. As a 'Bama fan, I've seen a ton of JK Scott and I worry about his issues with consistency; a lot of it is in his head. When he's on, he's on; when he's off, he's waaaaaaay off. We could've done more to address the EDGE as well as there were several opportunities to take a decent EDGE guy early on Day 3. I wasn't too happy about trading up for Oren Burks as well. I think we could've had him at 101 just as I thought we could've had Alexander at 27 as well. It'll be interesting to see how he's used, but I think the fact he will wear #42 foreshadows what we plan to do with him. I am a bit disappointed that Joe Thomas left. It is clear to me that the team wants to see how our current EDGE guys fare in Pettine's defense before addressing the need. Some here feel Reggie Gilbert deserves an opportunity and perhaps the organization shares that sentiment.

I don't see a need at WR unless our three picks epically flop. The fact that we didn't even bother to sign a UDFA WR tells me that the room is full there.  I think Yancey supplants Davis at this point. Davis just isn't developing the way we would've hoped. I wasn't too thrilled with the pick when we made it, now we can just about say it was a blown pick. I contend that Davis is too stiff as a runner and is best suited as a RS.

21 minutes ago, Joe said:

I also rolled my eyes when we drafted a punter followed by a long-snapper. As a 'Bama fan, I've seen a ton of JK Scott and I worry about his issues with consistency; a lot of it is in his head. When he's on, he's on; when he's off, he's waaaaaaay off. We could've done more to address the EDGE as well as there were several opportunities to take a decent EDGE guy early on Day 3. I wasn't too happy about trading up for Oren Burks as well. I think we could've had him at 101 just as I thought we could've had Alexander at 27 as well. It'll be interesting to see how he's used, but I think the fact he will wear #42 foreshadows what we plan to do with him. I am a bit disappointed that Joe Thomas left. It is clear to me that the team wants to see how our current EDGE guys fare in Pettine's defense before addressing the need. Some here feel Reggie Gilbert deserves an opportunity and perhaps the organization shares that sentiment.

This was a MISERABLE EDGE class.  But given how strong last year's was, it's not really surprising that this year's EDGE class was bad.  You had three guys who were a tier above the rest, and one of them had injury concerns (Landry) and the other had LoC cocnerns (Davenport).  Beyond those two and Chubb, they all had major question marks.  Sweat had MAJOR medical concerns, Key had the rehab/motivation questions, etc.  You could group the rest of the EDGE into two tiers.  The try-hards (i.e. Jeff Holland, Duke Ejiofor, etc.) and the ones who had the tools, but never put production consistently (Lorenzo Carter, Arden Key, etc.).  There were no real EDGE of value that'd make a difference.

12 hours ago, Cadmus said:

Gave the Janis number right to MVS. 

They're not even trying to dance around it. 

Pro Bowl level contributor on STs incoming. 

Alexander straight to Randall's number too!

2 other thoughts:

1. Between Moore, MVS, and EQ, we just increased Aaron Godgers chances of hitting another hail mary. J'Mon has a 38" vert!
  2. The CB room now stands at: King, House, Tramon, Alexander, Jackson, Rollins + some others. Am I the only one who thinks that one of Tramon or House doesn't make the roster? Just seems like one of them is going to lose out to one of the younger guys and just not be worth the money/demand a release. 

11 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

2 other thoughts:

1. Between Moore, MVS, and EQ, we just increased Aaron Godgers chances of hitting another hail mary. J'Mon has a 38" vert!
  2. The CB room now stands at: King, House, Tramon, Alexander, Jackson, Rollins + some others. Am I the only one who thinks that one of Tramon or House doesn't make the roster? Just seems like one of them is going to lose out to one of the younger guys and just not be worth the money/demand a release. 

I want Tramon and House on the roster for depth. No reason to get rid of them.

12 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

2 other thoughts:

Tramon isnt going anywhere, he's going to start Week 1. Better chance that House goes but hes barely making over the vet min so its not like he's expensive and I trust him over Rollins by a wide margin. Maybe one of Pip/Water/Hawkins pushes House out but right now I'd lean House.

Archived