Official Broncos Forum Draft Thread

AnAngryAmerican

1 minute ago, champ11 said:

I like that. Just so frustrating we have to burn another pick on a WR when there are great talents on the board. Oh well, what can you do

I agree, but I would argue it like this:

We've been telling Elway to stick to the board forever. Take the best value. Sutton is R1 talent (arguably) or at least we likely had a R1 grade on him. He's in a need (ish) position, but he represents a much better pick than we've been making in R2 and R3 the last few years. RB is a virtual certainty here soon, but we got a great prospect at a discount. That's worth something.

When you have committed to a QB with as weak an arm as Keenum, you need possession guys who can win those 50/50 balls, that’s what we got in Sutton. He’s a big time red zone threat. 

If we wanted to run an open offense, one they stretches the field and relies on big plays, we a) wouldn’t have signed Keenum and/or b) have taken Allen or even Rosen at #5. 

Elway is building to win, which I like, the plan is obviously good defense coupled with a run-first, dink and dunk passing offense.  It’s going to be super, super boring but this appears to be the path we’re taking. 

1 minute ago, broncos67 said:

I agree, but I would argue it like this:

We've been telling Elway to stick to the board forever. Take the best value. Sutton is R1 talent (arguably) or at least we likely had a R1 grade on him. He's in a need (ish) position, but he represents a much better pick than we've been making in R2 and R3 the last few years. RB is a virtual certainty here soon, but we got a great prospect at a discount. That's worth something.

I agree. I think CB probably provided the bigger value there. However, it is hard to consider it a reach. He is borderline 1st round talent and they got good value for him It is hard to argue with the pick

4 minutes ago, champ11 said:

That being said, I'm happy we didn't reach on our second round pick lol 

THAT is the one saving grace.

Value-wise, there are so many good WR's left.   Waiting until Rd3 (and moving up if need be) would have been the A+ move.

But, Sutton is arguably the best or 2nd best WR left (Miller I'm biased heavily on, but Sutton probably beats him, Kirk close behind).  Gallup represents the best ultimate value given he'd go last, well behind other Combine-freaks too.    Getting Sutton at 40 when I had a 30-ish grade isn't bad at all.   Just had even more value opps (like Conor Williams at T, or a CB, and then pop a WR Rd3).

But not reaching for Chark and taking the guy believed to be the top guy (I think Miller but that's just me and not CW), that I can see as good.  I'd give it a B+ pick...which for Rd2, let's face it, would make it the best pick since 2011.

2 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

He actually reminds me of Alshon Jeffery a little bit. Honestly, I might also comp him to Demaryius in his earlier days but a bit slower.

Nowhere near DT's home run speed or YAC ability. Jeffery is a better comp, just not quite as big as Jeffery.

Archived