Baker Mayfield No. 1

Kiwibrown

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Dude was so underutilized last year. Especially the second half of the year when his blocking VASTLY improved.

I swear like the only route he ran last year was a damn seam route. I know he ran more than that but it seemed like he only ran seams. I would love to see him get used like Bryant got used with the Steelers.

4 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

So hyped.

You're such a party pooper... ruin the fun....

Baker had 5 fumbled snaps in practice today... that's 10 in two days.... 10 for Baker... 5 for Darnold... Darnold is 2 times better than Baker.. and Baker is 2 times worse... science says that the rookie camp fumbles are the best predictor of future Hall of fame success..

Darnold is on his way...

Good times..

@BleedTheClock

For the Baker over Darnold truthers...

Here's one of my favorite highlight videos of Baker's scramble and escape artist Flutie/Plummer wizardry...

This will only strengthen your beliefs and give you the same Chubb Dorsey and McCloughan have had since they saw Baker grab his...

------------------------

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah not sure how people (Aztec IIRC) can question how Baker does under fire. He's a wizard, yet I've seen several people throw this narrative out there that he falls apart under pressure. Just not true.

Yeah it wasn't his best game but the play at the 5:37 mark was completely beautiful. Every time I see a snap go over the QB's head and end up 20 yards behind him I hope for the QB to do exactly what Baker did and hopefully get the ball beyond the LOS and his did by a large margin which is pretty impressive considering his momentum was going backwards and obviously he was fading away and still threw the ball probably 35+ yards, not many can do that.

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah not sure how people (Aztec IIRC) can question how Baker does under fire. He's a wizard, yet I've seen several people throw this narrative out there that he falls apart under pressure. Just not true.

Yes, it’s me. We will see. Hope you are right, because it will mean we have our franchise QB.

48 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

You're such a party pooper... ruin the fun....

Baker had 5 fumbled snaps in practice today... that's 10 in two days.... 10 for Baker... 5 for Darnold... Darnold is 2 times better than Baker.. and Baker is 2 times worse... science says that the rookie camp fumbles are the best predictor of future Hall of fame success..

Darnold is on his way...

Good times..

Wait, what?

How is the center-QB exchange so much different than college?

Are they taking it from the shotgun more in nonpro?

Great video Mind Character.  Nice cut up.  Lot of things to love there, few concerns.

He NEVER gives up on a play and always has his eyes down field looking to make a play, LOVE IT!

While the video was put together to show off his legs and escapability, there were a few WOW throws in there that I loved showcasing that great arm.  LOVE IT!

The competitive fire was apparent, and how his teammates gravitate toward him was truly impressive too.  LOVE IT!

Several times in that video, he slipped free that would not happen in the NFL.  That is just part of the next level, and part of it.

From this video alone, he displays that he needs to protect himself better.  Know when to slide, also know when to throw the ball away.  Some of those, as I mentioned before, in the NFL he does not get away.

One play I noticed, which is nothing on Baker, I think at the NFL he gets blasted squarely in the back and probably fumbles and may be injured.  The defender slipped free behind him and rushed up behind Baker, but instead of drilling him solidly in the back as an NFL defender would have, the player just slapped at him and tried a hands sack and Baker got away.

7 hours ago, MathMan said:

Wait, what?

Yes, Baker played mostly from the shotgun in both college and high school from what I've read and seen. I think his feet are fast enough that it shouldn't be to big of a deal for him but that's wishful thinking on my part lol. He just does not have a lot of experience doing it

7 hours ago, MathMan said:

Wait, what?

Read this in an article. 

Well, he took 1,040 snaps out of shotgun last season compared to seven from under center, according to ESPN. He said he rarely took snaps from under center throughout his college career and never did it when he played for Lake Travis High School in Texas.

@Aztec Hammer

This is my final review of the tape.... I do this every year to see if I missed something...

Just tortured myself by rewatching Baker's last 2 seasons over the last 5 days... Did I miss something because I was just too biased with Darnold?  Did I miss chart anticipation throws, how Baker responded to inside pressure, did I miss his tight window pinpoint accuracy after blitz avoidance platform quick resets?

What I did miss was the at the line signaling and how much Baker audibles and controlled the offense...

Additionally, I missed and didn't give weight to how much he scrambled and extended the play in ways similar to Sam. He may not have made the plus throws Sam made off platform, but he made a wide variety of tight window throws off platform that I thought were good on first watch, but upon review were really excellent..

I also discounted how amazingly the team, coaches energies are uplifted by Baker's outward energy... the team visibly elevates their energy with his....

The bad news is it's even more ridiculous that we took Baker over Sam as literally I miss charted Baker's NFL anticipation throws (throws before the WR declares their route, throwing to a spot, tight window, away from the defense) in terms of quantity and quality in the wrong direction; that is, there were even less and the quality wasn't as good as I first thought.

Beyond that by watching with a new lens, he really always drops his eyes on inside pressure (for some reason he did this less in 2016), and I only counted 4 times that he threw over the middle of the line with pressure coming into his lap where the ball was thrown on an intermediate route with anticipation and pinpoint accuracy.

When pressure comes, he plays the boundary or deep middle of the field... he doesn't work for change moving routes like Rosen or Darnold, because I really don't think he can see it clearly enough to see and trust the anticipation throw after a quick side step or movement to create a new platform.

The numbers don't tell the story as Charlie Casserly says "Darnold is more pinpoint accurate than Baker Mayfield despite the numbers...watch the tape and see where the ball goes especially under duress or late game..."

Went back and watched Rosen and Darnold as well...

Baker may elevate his game and prove me wrong due to emotional leadership skills and commitment to the game...

With that said, passing on Darnold for Baker BASED ON FILM ALONE is one of the worst scouting decisions in the last 10 years...

Rosen to a lesser extent...

And with that I'm done watching college prospects film FOREVER..... (AT LEAST FOR A COUPLE YEARS)

It's clear that the tape is the be all end all like I thought it was....

@Mind Character 100% agree.

“Beyond that by watching with a new lens, he really always drops his eyes on inside pressure (for some reason he did this less in 2016), and I only counted 4 times that he threw over the middle of the line with pressure coming into his lap where the ball was thrown on an intermediate route with anticipation and pinpoint accuracy.”

Especially this. A common and essential NFL throw. Height matters.

7 hours ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

Yes, Baker played mostly from the shotgun in both college and high school from what I've read and seen. I think his feet are fast enough that it shouldn't be to big of a deal for him but that's wishful thinking on my part lol. He just does not have a lot of experience doing it

https://mobile.twitter.com/movethesticks/status/969966327879340032?lang=en

found this interestinf

On 5/3/2018 at 3:09 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Why is he nothing like Wilson? He runs around to buy time for pinpoint accurate shots down the field. The only thing he doesn't really have in common with Wilson is that his athleticism, albeit still very good, isn't at the same level of Wilson's. But he doesn't win by being fast in college--he wins by knowing how to elude defenders within the pocket. He knows how to step in, loop out, shuffle, and also when to stay put. I think it's a perfectly fair comparison.

Because Wilson scrambles in the pocket to run, Baker moves in the pocket to create passing lanes. Russell is averaging close to 600 rushing yards per season. Carson Wentz had more college rushing yards than Baker did. They both can move, but Baker is not fast--he just has quick feet to move around behind the LOS and get out of sacks. Wilson is looking to run when he breaks pockets. 

Wilson had more rushing yards than Jerrick McKinnon and Ameer Abdulah last year lol

Archived