Kolton Miller, OT UCLA -- Raiders' 1st Selection 15th Overall

Trojan

12 minutes ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Not “some YouTube” clips.  They cut it up to where you can watch him on every single play of the games.  

I think we’re too biased at this point to even argue. Confirmation bias is a hell of a drug. You will watch the video for mistakes, while I will watch for things to compliment. It’s totally unconscious at this point, but I hope you formed your opinion before you read all of the “4th rd tape” shenanigans. I guess PFF’s stats could be wrong too. Oh well, all we can do now is hope for the best, and hopefully, live happy lives away from football.. ^_^

My biggest problem is what appears to be happening behind the scenes from reports and reading into the available facts.

Reports of a power struggle and having two big boards combined with the fact that your GM comes out and distances himself from the pick by saying the pick was Cable's choice.  They can say they are working together but it is a red flag when the GM comes out and protects himself from the pick being a bust.  I wonder where RM and the scouts had Miller ranked.

Gruden willing to spend a third on a high risk high potential 1 year rental.  Gruden does not like rookies and does not trust his GM to make the right choice.  No way we are signing Cooper and Bryant if they live up to expectations.  Getting a #3 WR for cheap is what I would expect from a 3rd rounder.  It is a risk that they bust but Martavous is also a risk with a high chance he will not be on the team in 2019. With the 79th pick at least one of Brown, Callaway, Miller, and Chark should be there.  All have red flags but all are capable of out producing Bryant.  I really like Bryant but the contract and risk of suspension are too much for me.

38 minutes ago, raiders4life said:

I think we’re too biased at this point to even argue. Confirmation bias is a hell of a drug. You will watch the video for mistakes, while I will watch for things to compliment. It’s totally unconscious at this point, but I hope you formed your opinion before you read all of the “4th rd tape” shenanigans. I guess PFF’s stats could be wrong too. Oh well, all we can do now is hope for the best, and hopefully, live happy lives away from football.. ^_^

i finished my rankings three weeks ago and had a 3rd round grade on him, my 10th OT, after watching his games vs Colorado, Memphis, USC, Texas A&M, and Stanford. No confirmation bias present and not relying on anything PFF says or any other draft sources.  I'm actually curious what you would think after watching him cause I don't think even you wanting to like him will make you watch his film and conclude that he's a 1st round player. What's great about cut-ups of OL (as opposed to say safeties) is that you can basically see everything from the broadcast footage.

Texas A&M:

Stanford: 

Mempis: 

8 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I simply could not be more disappointed.  Not only getting horrid value in a trade down but managing to still make a bad pick? All I'm gonna say now is this kid better be good, because we passed on some damn good defenders for him. Total need-based pick and you couldn't have picked a worse scenario for it.

And not only that: HOW is our FO so terrible at keeping secrets? That's another very concerning thing.

4 things I didn't like

• Bad value in trade down. 2nd rounder the very least, Cardinals really needed their franchise QB
  • 3rd round pick for Bryant... you kidding me? a guy who has history of suspensions.. he already demanded a trade, worth a day 3 pick at the most
  • Kolton- hopefully I'm wrong, but a reach
  • draft pick leaked... why the media guessing what we are going to do with great accuracy 

2 hours ago, ZoomWaffle said:

So many problems with this. 

-Traded back 5 spots to a team who was absolutely desperate for a QB so they could take one of the top QBs of the draft and all we got was a 3rd and 5th. We should've been able to get their 2nd rounder instead of their 3rd. 

-Took an injury-prone OT with serious consistency issues 15+ spots too early

-Took that OT when there were two elite, top-10 talent defensive prospects available

-Traded a 3rd for Bryant. Love his talent but he's a FA after this year. If he does well, next year we'll have to pay him big bucks or he'll be gone

The draft gives me anxiety every year and it's for reasons like this. I felt sick last night waiting for this to happen and even worse after it did. I'm trying to remind myself that these guys are professionals and know what they're doing, but

What would Kolton Miller have to become for the pick to be worth it? By my estimation, if he turns out to be something like Nate Solder or Eric Fisher within two seasons, I think the pick is worth it. Competent tackles are tough to find which is why we see guys like Matt Khalil and Riley Reiff get paid nearly $12 million per year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

What would Kolton Miller have to become for the pick to be worth it? By my estimation, if he turns out to be something like Nate Solder or Eric Fisher within two seasons, I think the pick is worth it. Competent tackles are tough to find which is why we see guys like Matt Khalil and Riley Reiff get paid nearly $12 million per year.

If you think about it: penn is old and on the way out, and so many question marks at RT. Kolton is athletic, huge, Gruden saw enough to want to go coach him up. If he can play LT hell of a pick