Day 2 NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And the rest of his career?  How about against Oklahoma?  Or do they not have NFL talent there?  Which one game sample is more useful?

It doesn’t, it’s a measure of explosiveness, which you said he lacked.

We can argue back and forth about whether he does or doesn’t or cite objective data that supports our point.  I chose the latter.

I think there’s major flaws when it comes to combine numbers. These guys train for months just to get those particular numbers up. We see every year guys put up great combine numbers who’s college tape and eventual nfl tape doesn’t match up. 

And no Oklahoma doesn’t have the talent Alabama does. 

48 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As @ReggieCamp stated yesterday, Dorsey reminds me of Heckert.  You’d pull your hair out when he’d pass on “your guy”, but he made some good picks.

Yep, dude is obviously sticking to his board. With the personnel firepower he's assembled in his department, we have a good chance that they know what they're doing and some of these more unheralded guys work out better than the "name" ones we were hoping/rooting to take.

5 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I think there’s major flaws when it comes to combine numbers. These guys train for months just to get those particular numbers up. We see every year guys put up great combine numbers who’s college tape and eventual nfl tape doesn’t match up. 

Absolutely.  I’d argue the guy with nearly 5k career rushing yards in the SEC is perhaps a bit more explosive than you’re giving him credit for.

5 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

And no Oklahoma doesn’t have the talent Alabama does. 

Who does?  

Iirc you were a Barkley fan.  Why is it ok for him to crap the bed against Rutgers, but it’s a knock on Chubb to not produce against the best defense almost annually in college?

It was one game against a team with more talent across the board.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

So far I've wanted/drafted the following in my own mind:

1. Darnold

4. Ward (YAY!)

33. Landry

35. Guice (For the record I also really like Chubb and was torn on those two)

64. Hubbard (I hate that DE from Miami pick so far)

We'll see what happens.

GM Bernie's Curls would've went:

1. QB Mayfield

4. DE Chubb

33. CB Oliver

35. RB Guice

67. OT Noteboom 

Just for posterity's sake.

11 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Is Thomas really a better prospect than Hubbard though?

I didn't think either were really all that great. I think they're certainly in the same tier. Hubbard provides more of an edge rush, Thomas will stop the run and rush on the inside on 3rd downs. I really think Thomas is going to be solid as a utility player, becoming our best inside pass rusher. Any time Miami ran stunts with Thomas inside, he was in the backfield in a heartbeat. He just isn't consistent enough for me to consider this pick a "steal."

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Did he not suffer a serious injury and has lost speed and explosiveness due to it?

I'm sure he did lose a little bit of speed, but speed was never this kid's game for one. He broke away from some great & fast CFB defenses after the injury.

Secondly, why are you pointing to the Alabama game as to why he won't be successful in the NFL? Nobody runs all over Alabama, especially when they have an unbalanced attack with no dangerous passing game.

We can worry about his longevity for sure, but the dude will be a star for us while he lasts. And it's too hard to predict injuries. I have seen the kid come back from injury and rip it up. I'm not going to assume he'll reinjure himself just so I can be angry at the Browns some more.

1 hour ago, nugpimpen said:

CHubb came back and averaged 5.6 ypc the past two seasons in the SEC, but ya, worthless. GTFO 

He may not be the elite prospect he was before the injury but he's still a stud.

I agree with you about everything, except I don't think he was ever an ELITE prospect. He's always been a pro bowl caliber runner, but was never explosive enough to be considered elite. He's the ultimate maximizer. He knows how to twist, churn, juke, truck, stiff arm, and drive his way through a defense and pick up those tough interior yards. He's the best RB we've had in a long while.

I expect Chubb to be our feature back, Hyde to be the goal line back (maybe, b/c Chubb excels here too), and Duke to play in the slot & on 3rd downs.

Hyde won't be here next year and it will be because of the success that Chubb has. He comes ready-made for the NFL.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

1. Darnold

4. TRADE DOWN BABY!!!!

32. Jackson

35. Chubb

67. Hubbard

I don't think they got an offer they liked. It is not worth it to trade down unless you are adding top 45 selections and I don't think the Bills or Cardinals were offering enough for the Browns to be happy missing on Ward and Chubb.

I wouldn't have changed anything about the draft so far. I understand the Corbett pick and believe it to be the right pick. Its not one that I wanted to happen as I was really hoping for a trade back there to target P.J. Hall or Anthony Miller or just straight up take the  risk and reach on one of the two at pick #33 but again Corbett is more than a good pick so I won't change.

I admittedly know nothing about Chad Thomas. Haven't watched a single rep and I haven't even had the time yet today to watch some youtube but I have always been a believer in the draft being mostly the same after pick 45.

I want to take the gamble on Antonio Callaway today.

23 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I didn't think either were really all that great. I think they're certainly in the same tier. Hubbard provides more of an edge rush, Thomas will stop the run and rush on the inside on 3rd downs. I really think Thomas is going to be solid as a utility player, becoming our best inside pass rusher. Any time Miami ran stunts with Thomas inside, he was in the backfield in a heartbeat. He just isn't consistent enough for me to consider this pick a "steal."

Yeah I have been calling Sam Hubbard overrated for a long time. I was shocked to see Lewis go first but wasn't surprised. I have long thought Lewis and Holmes flashed so much more. I am trying really had not to pimp or hate on players too hard though because it has always just made me enemies on this forum whether I was right or wrong. I sooooo wanted to tout Baker Mayfield since January but I knew it wouldn't end well no matter what. I am glad we finally picked on of my absolute draft favorites though, hell we drafted 2 this year. 

Archived