5th Round Pick (172nd Overall): JK Scott [P; Alabama]

Packerraymond

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Special teams matter. Although Vogel didnt seem objectionable in any way I could tell, apparently the coaches saw an opportunity to improve there and took it. Works for me.

I'm generally a believer that spending picks on ST players who aren't return men is generally a bad idea, but I can't really fault the Packers for taking Scott.  The kid is an incredible punter.  Vogel is a solid punter, but I don't think he'll ever be a significant punter in terms of changing the field.  He's more of a directional punter from what I've seen.  I think Scott can be both.  I'm not opposed to bringing in punting competition especially given what we've had at the position for the few years before Vogel.

Don't know if this was posted, and I'm too lazy to go thru 9 pages of punter talk - borrowed from Packer Report

Scott knows all about Wisconsin. His family owns a lake house north of Hayward, Wis. His father, Kim Scott, went to Madison West High School, where he was the first high-schooler to top 16 feet in the pole vault and a former record-holder at the University of Wisconsin. He comes from a family of Packers fans.

“We were big Packers fans growing up,” he said during a conference call. “This is crazy. We have probably 10 cheeseheads at home. It’s crazy how this happens. We loved to watch Brett Favre play because we were big Brett Favre fans and stuff. We only got up to see one game (at Lambeau Field) when I was a kid, but my dad and his parents went a lot more when they were younger.”

The other thing that JK brings to the table is deep kickoffs

As Mason ages, GB may have an interest in a big legged punter who can handle the kickoffs ( until the league abolishes them)

It saves wear and tear on Crosby's leg

I was mad at the pick initially.  Then I remembered it was a 5'th round pick.  Whatever.  We improved at punter last year.  If drafting this kid improves us again, I'm all for it.  Either he beats out Vogel and we are better, or he pushes Vogel to be better.  We had so many picks that improvement at any area is a good thing.

34 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

The more sleep I lose, the more I come to the conclusion that Scott had to be far and away the best player left on the board at that pick. Just no other possibility.

Sometimes it's better to take the top rated punter rather than the 42nd ranked Edge

35 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

The more sleep I lose, the more I come to the conclusion that Scott had to be far and away the best player left on the board at that pick. Just no other possibility.

I mean, you're getting a starter in the 5th round versus possibly a PS player at another position. This is WAY different than trading up for Sander in the 3rd round. That should have been a firable offense. This was a smart pick, as was the LS pick in the 7th. Odds are Hunter Bradley will have a much longer career with the Packers than Looney or Donnerson. 

40 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Sometimes it's better to take the top rated punter rather than the 42nd ranked Edge

Michael Bennett was the 42nd ranked EDGE in the 2009 NFL Draft. 

#Facts

Archived