2019 NCAA/Draft Prospect Thread

TheRealMcCoy

21 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Looks like Duce did the RB drills for memphis pro day, so he got a nice look at Darrell Henderson and Tony Pollard.

Pollard is a late round guy who could be fun. Good size, catches the ball well and has A+ return skills.

38 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

You’re hyping the idea of depth along the DL when depth is only valuable when you have injuries. 

Edit: if I have a top 25 pick and I can only get him on the field for 20% of the snaps for his first 2-3 years how is my team benefiting? 

I think DL is the one place (besides RB) that that logic isn’t sound.

they rotate so much and they play off of each other so much. Like you get that depth to play on non critical downs to keep that play level up. That way on 3rd and 5 At the end of the game Cox is still fresh and ready to destroy.

24 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I think DL is the one place (besides RB) that that logic isn’t sound.

they rotate so much and they play off of each other so much. Like you get that depth to play on non critical downs to keep that play level up. That way on 3rd and 5 At the end of the game Cox is still fresh and ready to destroy.

Finally someone with a post that is an actual counter argument. 

I definitely understand your point that it keeps guys fresh. The rotation idea is so fluid from week to week that its almost impossible to determine how efficient Cox will be in those scenarios you discussed. 

A 3rd safety is going to play more than a 3rd DT iyam since nickel has become the base Defense Schwartz employs. I know Howie doesn't invest in the LB position but a trade up for D. White to keep Bradham outside would benefit this team than assuming Bradham can play MLB for 16. Again I was impressed by Hector/Hester in their limited roles, they're both young. Lets stay on their development instead.

I'm not sure of the plan for OC past this year, is Seumalo the de facto Cotf? Pryor the only OG on the roster 

If there's nothing of value on the board at these other positions that imo still need addressing then move back for more assets. 

7 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

If there's nothing of value on the board at these other positions that imo still need addressing then move back for more assets. 

Ninja was one of the ones who put it the best way. There are 20 or so players worthy of a first round pick, and then there's a significant dropoff. Players 21ish to 50 are more interchangeable. We have 3 options.

1. If one of those players falls to us we can stay put and draft them.
2. We can trade up and ensure we get one of those quality players.
3. We can trade back and get more assets because the drop off has already passed and there isn't much a gap when trading back.

The reason I am so keen and keep peddling the DL pick in general is because this draft is insanely deep at those positions so it's more likely we'll be able to obtain a quality player at that position. But ultimately it comes down to who falls to where. 

If the best DLineman at 25 are DreMont Jones, Tillery, or Zach Allen, you're not going to see me suggest to reach for them. At that point you wait until the 2nd round and see who's available there.

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

Ninja was one of the ones who put it the best way. There are 20 or so players worthy of a first round pick, and then there's a significant dropoff. Players 21ish to 50 are more interchangeable. We have 3 options.

1. If one of those players falls to us we can stay put and draft them.
2. We can trade up and ensure we get one of those quality players.
3. We can trade back and get more assets because the drop off has already passed and there isn't much a gap when trading back.

The reason I am so keen and keep peddling the DL pick in general is because this draft is insanely deep at those positions so it's more likely we'll be able to obtain a quality player at that position. But ultimately it comes down to who falls to where. 

If the best DLineman at 25 are DreMont Jones, Tillery, or Zach Allen, you're not going to see me suggest to reach for them. At that point you wait until the 2nd round and see who's available there.

I also said that this draft is top heavy...but it sounded some of us are steadfast on the idea of drafting a DT that's a 2nd tier DT for depth reasons when their ceiling is probably just as high as Hector and Hester who have a year of coaching in the system.

I would even throw Lawrence into that group of wait until the second round. 

Just now, nlesthought said:

when their ceiling is probably just as high as Hector and Hester who have a year of coaching in the system.

I would even throw Lawrence into that group of wait until the second round. 

I disagree with their ceiling being as high as Hector or Hester, unless you're talking just for next season alone. Which very well may be the case. But when we're drafting we should be looking to acquire the most and best talent available for the long haul, not just for one season. That's how you sustain success. And yes I'd in large part agree with the Lawrence sentiments.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

I disagree with their ceiling being as high as Hector or Hester, unless you're talking just for next season alone. Which very well may be the case. But when we're drafting we should be looking to acquire the most and best talent available for the long haul, not just for one season. That's how you sustain success. And yes I'd in large part agree with the Lawrence sentiments.

I understand the long haul but if the first half of his rookie contract is going to be spent rotating in with Cox/Jackson is that good usage? Trade up get that OG/OC/LB/S 

that will be playing for the next decade. If the price is too steep look to trade back or go BPA (which I don't believe is a 2nd tier DT)  

Teams have beat us by getting rid of the ball before said pressure adds up to bad plays. The only team that comes to mind that has beat us with their QB able to hold the ball is SEA. Sorry but I can't think of one DL at 25 that is going to provide that type of pressure if they had a major amount of snaps. 

4 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

Teams have beat us by getting rid of the ball before said pressure adds up to bad plays. The only team that comes to mind that has beat us with their QB able to hold the ball is SEA. Sorry but I can't think of one DL at 25 that is going to provide that type of pressure if they had a major amount of snaps. 

You're thinking too short term tbh. Could've said the same thing about Barnett two seasons ago.

5 hours ago, nlesthought said:

Finally someone with a post that is an actual counter argument. 

I definitely understand your point that it keeps guys fresh. The rotation idea is so fluid from week to week that its almost impossible to determine how efficient Cox will be in those scenarios you discussed. 

A 3rd safety is going to play more than a 3rd DT iyam since nickel has become the base Defense Schwartz employs. I know Howie doesn't invest in the LB position but a trade up for D. White to keep Bradham outside would benefit this team than assuming Bradham can play MLB for 16. Again I was impressed by Hector/Hester in their limited roles, they're both young. Lets stay on their development instead.

I'm not sure of the plan for OC past this year, is Seumalo the de facto Cotf? Pryor the only OG on the roster 

I think 3rd DT would play around 40% of the time if they follow two years ago. Third safety would play around that I would think, but they got Sendejo to do some of that this year. I think safety will be a better investment because McLeod and Sendejo both might be out next year, DT makes sense cause we need a good 3rd for how we do it...if we have them on a rookie deal for 4 or 5 years it works to move on from Malik after this contract as Fletcher’s deal winds down too

Both are stacked positions in the 1st and 2nd, adding one of each this year makes sense.

the way the board looks DT in the 1st and Safety in the 2nd seems to be the thing that is more likely to happen for where the value is.

thing with both is we really don’t need to draft one, same as RB. But it still makes sense to. But if a better guy at another position is ther, we can go with them and not feel incomplete.

Archived