2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

6 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

lol, fun comment but why @ him? Just draws attention and promotes more! Where's the -1 on likes? :P 

I gotta hand it to him, he was right all along!!!! Glazer is nothing but a phony!!! How does he not know we are getting AJ Green??

27 minutes ago, N4L said:

If we are going to trade down, then I want to keep those picks. I don't want to trade down just to get ammo to trade up. I'd rather just stay where we are. 

I can understand trading down, but then let's just keep those picks. I'm tired of trading up to get 'our guy'. It only adds to the risk of the guy we draft and makes it that much more painful when it doesn't work out. 

I have no issues with Pettis but I hated the trade up to get him. 

The point of trading down is to accumulate picks or to get a 2020 second rounder to essentially get Ford for free. I can understand that 

You can do both. I agree with you as I, too, hated the trade up for Pettis. But there are times when it makes sense. The trade up for Foster made a ton of sense at the time. Right now, the team would be foolish to trade up anywhere in the draft because it can't lose anymore draft picks. But if a trade back produces a few extra picks, that once again is on the table. For instance- let's say there's a scenario where Bosa goes #1, we trade back with the Raiders for a bunch of picks so they take Murray, and then the Jets prioritize the edge and take Allen. Now we're at 4 and almost assuredly go QW. So now, let's say the heart issue causes Sweat to slide a bit and he ends up available in the 20s. That's an easy trade up scenario. Give up a good pick to make it happen and still likely have some extra from the original trade.

There could also be a simpler scenario where we end up with an edge guy first and a run on WRs leaves only one guy in a higher tier available. So you make the call to go get him.

The only thing that baffled about the trades for guys like Beathard and Pettis was the fact that we almost certainly were trading up unnecessarily just to get a guy we wanted rather than to get a guy that necessitated the trade. 

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Man, really hope we're able to trade down. I love the middle to end of the 1st round's talent this year and to get multiple picks to be able to trade back in that range would be huge. 

Would you rather have Williams/Bosa at #2, or trade down to like #8 and take Burns then use the additional picks to trade up and get someone like Butler or Brown or Murphy?

So hypothetically, say we trade down to 8 and receive a 2019 2nd and 3rd and some pick next year. Then we use the 2nd and 3rd rounders to jump back up in the 20 range, would you take that or still riding with Bosa/Williams? 

I love the draft like everyone in here and the more picks the more fun we will have to discuss prospects...but if there is elite talent available draft him. Don't get cute trying to save money with a buy 1 get the 2nd one half off...lol Bosa available draft him. Even though I don't want the QW pick...if John believes he's an elite talent and Bosa is gone take u take him. 

2 inches more in height and especially arm length, and you'd have made a stronger case for me at the # 2 overall, Devin White. Amazing how those 2 inches can make such a difference in length for someone tasked with rushing against the ncaa vs nfl. He would be like a shorter, lighter, quick and faster version of Josh Allen (who I'm liking a bit more lately).. yet DW can better abuse with power.

As it is, can't trust him to win on the edge in the nfl... so then, left drafting him as an off-ball LB (even if SAM). That just doesn't have the value of a top 5 pick., when utilizing the base scheme only a 3rd of the snaps. 

While pass-rushing is not often asked of off-ball linebackers, it is still a skill coveted as it is typically hard to defend against from an offensive standpoint and is usually seen on blitz packages. LSU LB Devin White was a menace when asked to rush the passer last season, racking up 30 total QB pressures on just 86 pass-rush attempts.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-quick-look-at-the-2019-nfl-draft-class-at-linebacker

The other thought is, still could do worse than DW, for me. I don't even like more than a few options at #2 to begin with. If we trade back, it's more an appealing option.. but it's likely more just pointless considerations built from homorism. Happily settle for Bosa and then Moreau in rd 4/5. :) 

Archived