The 53: Player, Roster, & Acquisitions Talk

Mind Character

@buno67

Better Question: How did you come to the opinion that Greg Robinson is the better option for the team than Shon Coleman at RT??

-------------------------

Of course it's based on my mind's assessment of film... the opinion wasn't beamed down directly to me from on high.

Cool thing is we can watch Coleman's snaps from last year and compare them to Greg Robinson's snaps from last ear... then look at their snaps in the preseason....

------------------------------

If the goal is to as best as possible evaluate how a given player's play, how does one go about doing that??

1.) Think Context of Play: What is the level of competition, what is the player's likely assignment or defined technique based on the offensive and defensive posturing. Is the play a familiar one where assignments are easily evaluated off film?

2.) Think Lens of Evaluation & Play Assessment: How does one evaluate OT play based on traditional football scouting analysis?? What does it mean for a Offensive Tackle to play with good technique?? What's there pass set look like? Do they grab? Do they waist bend?? What's their impact balance like?? What are their feet doing?? Do they open up the gate or do they sit down and anchor??As an exercise, watch all the snaps from each player.

3.) Think Correctable Vs Non-correctable Traits How long has the player been in the league? Have these issues endured?? Are the issues core and/or fatal issues?? How likely is it that such bad traits show up..

Both Coleman and Robinson are bad.

I watched every snap closely... most snaps more than once, some three and four times...

I thought over the body of work of snaps in the preseason... Robinson got tons more snaps, but had jaw-dropping, glaring disastrous technique, effort, focus, assignment issues in 3 games and played solid in 1. Coleman's opportunities were few and far between relative to Greg Robinson... and against lower comp, but he's more fundamentally sound than Robinson and didn't have the lower lows that Robinson had with as high a frequency..

Robinson did have strong moments as a Run Blocker .... especially in goal line and clear running downs...

That led me to belief that the only reason to keep Robinson was due to his swing guard versatility... but in truth both should be replaced...  but if I had to choose one for the purpose of RT... it was Coleman in part based on his play last year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 hours ago, pnies20 said:

There isn't any evidence to back that up. He can't do it.

Nate Orchard had the highest PFF grade in the league (OVER 96)...

@pnies20 Should he make the team over Carl Nassib because of such a high grade when Nassib hasn't graded high like that in the preseason??

You posted:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-preseason-week-1-nfl-team-of-the-week

Oh  WOWW... reallly??

Well... if PFF says Greg Robinson played well in 44 snaps in one preseason game against 2nd and 3rd string then I guess he's good... then... why didn't you say so...

For sh#ts and giggles... try looking at the top grades on PFF throughout the preseason (or try looking at that list even) at various positions and you'll grasp (I doubt it) that having a top PFF grade doesn't mean Sh#t in the preseason in terms of play impact ability, whether a player should make a team, should start, should start over another player...etc...

It's the CONTEXT OF TRADITIONAL FOOTBALL SCOUTING ANALYSIS that makes the grade make sense...

-------------------------------------------------------

It's simple:

1.) Both Coleman and Robinson are Bad

2.) Greg Robinson's been worse for longer throughout his career

3.) Coleman's been serviceable to below average

4.) Coleman had few snaps against worse competition in preseason and looked solid except for 2 glaring plays ... Robinson had more opportunities and looked worse outside of half of his 44 snaps in the first preseason game.

------------------------------------------------------------

@pnies20 But let's have some fun with PFF grades.... since you love them as evidence so much

What was Robinson's PFF grade last year vs Coleman's last year???

HMMMMMM..... Coleman's == 61.4 in 16 starts..... Greg Robinson== 54.6 in 6 starts.... advantage Coleman....

What about when Greg Robinson started 16 games in years past????

Oh.... it gets really good for you if you love PFF... click this:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-rams-decline-5th-year-option-on-greg-robinson

"Robinson had a 2016 grade of 38.0 and has never finished a year with a grade above 41.3.

Even after being benched for two games in 2016, Robinson allowed the 25th-most pressures among tackles in the NFL with 40."

He's garbage... and even more garbage than Coleman...

It does make sense for Dorsey to keep Robinson over Coleman for his ability to play Guard in an emergency and b/c Coleman has a bum knee.

@Mind CharacterI’m not spouting off that  I have evidence when clearly it’s your opinion. Evidence provides facts  

Yeah both Robinson and Coleman but Robinson sucked less. He is more versatile and is a better pass blocker. 

Coleman was bad last year so that shouldn’t play a factor. Greg wasn’t any better last year either. Coming into practices and preseason, Greg showed more potential than Coleman. 

5 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I watched every snap closely... most snaps more than once, some three and four times...

Really?

Look man, I’m just gonna be blunt here but if you’re watching every snap of both Shon Coleman and Greg Robinson three or four times, you really need to get out more bro.  

Go out, have a cocktail, chat up a pretty lady, take a vacation, etc.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Go out, have a cocktail, chat up a pretty lady, take a vacation, etc.

I get giving advice but c'mon, you are advising him to be chatty? I think he's got that covered. Whether she cares about who has better preseason tape between Coleman and Robinson is one thing but she is gonna hear about it either way.

Just messin' with ya mind xD

Archived