When Does Lamar Jackson Start His First Game?

MKnight82

12 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Last year's Chiefs kinda deal methinks. Not saying they'll take a week off and start him, but they are ready to move on more or less but won't commit until year two

Didn't the Chiefs give up a lot of assets to move up and get Mahomes? Coming off a playoff season in 2016, that move screamed to me that they were ready to rebuild/reboot. The Ravens FIRST draft pick was a 24 year old tight end. So I don't think the FO is starting from the same state of mind. 

But again, it wouldn't stun me if the timeline accelerates depending on Jackson's progression and Flacco's play/health.

27 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Didn't the Chiefs give up a lot of assets to move up and get Mahomes? Coming off a playoff season in 2016, that move screamed to me that they were ready to rebuild/reboot. The Ravens FIRST draft pick was a 24 year old tight end. So I don't think the FO is starting from the same state of mind. 

But again, it wouldn't stun me if the timeline accelerates depending on Jackson's progression and Flacco's play/health.

Oh yeah no doubt they did. I'm not even a big Jackson fan but that's just my gut reaction. I'm not trying to pretend I know their thought process or plan or anything like that by any means.

21 hours ago, warrenblue said:

He will sit AT LEAST 2 years. You guys are delusional if you think he is going to start after 1 season. 

Flacco will start in the next 2 seasons then the Ravens will figure out what to do depending on Lamar's progression and how Flacco performs in that spam. 

Worse than most backups.

52 minutes ago, Danger said:

Flacco will be on the Ravens roster through the 2019 season, and cut in the 2020 off season. But Flacco's play will be so poor that they'll bench him halfway through 2019.

And then the coaching staff and fans will blame a lack of weapons/scheme/OL/talent around him and extend him until 2025, at which point we trade Lamar Jackson for a 3rd round pick and he goes on to be an All-Pro while we continue to be irrelevant.

14 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

And then the coaching staff and fans will blame a lack of weapons/scheme/OL/talent around him and extend him until 2025, at which point we trade Lamar Jackson for a 3rd round pick and he goes on to be an All-Pro while we continue to be irrelevant.

I feel like this is the most likely outcome tbh. I totally love the pick for the ravens, but they're gonna screw this up somehow.

2 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

I feel like this is the most likely outcome tbh. I totally love the pick for the ravens, but they're gonna screw this up somehow.

Every year I say "This is the year we hold Joe Flacco accountable for his god awful play" and every year I'm shocked by how far people will go to excuse it. The fun part is each year it's something new. It's either his WR's are garbage, the OL sucks, he doesn't have a top-5 run game, he was nursing a back injury, etc. etc.

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

@MWil23 Needs to be updated so that it's now Alex Collins and Michael Crabtree instead of Ray Rice and Torrey Smith tbh

I'd trade off overpaying an average at best NFL QB for a Super Bowl run...especially one that entails the worst defensive play I've ever seen until the one with Minnesota/New Orleans this year.

#RahimMoore

#NeverForget

27 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

--

Every year I say "This is the year we hold Joe Flacco accountable for his god awful play" and every year I'm shocked by how far people will go to excuse it. The fun part is each year it's something new. It's either his WR's are garbage, the OL sucks, he doesn't have a top-5 run game, he was nursing a back injury, etc. etc.

My man we literally drafted a 1st round QB this year, that's what holding Joe Flacco accountable looks like. You're getting mad about something that hasn't happened yet and isn't gonna happen. 

1 minute ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

My man we literally drafted a 1st round QB this year, that's what holding Joe Flacco accountable looks like. You're getting mad about something that hasn't happened yet and isn't gonna happen. 

Yeah I know, I'm merely commenting on the past 6 years.

Barring injuries to Flacco, 2020 at the earliest, unless Baltimore completely implodes in 2019 season. As long as they are winning games and Flacco is healthy, Jackson will ride the bench.

Of course, I could see Baltimore adding some plays just for Jackson, as a change of pace for their offense and to better prepare the team for the 2020 season when he might take over full time.

I was surprised to see he was picked anywhere before the 3rd, honestly.  Jackson speaks as though he has a 5th grade comprehension of the English language, so it's beyond me why anyone would want him to be the face of their multi-million dollar sports franchise, but, to each his own...

Jackson won't see the field for at least a few years, mainly because he's not ready to play.  Even most 'experts' said that he's a project, and will take some time.  I have no problem with a QB sitting for a couple years, but why spend a first rounder on a guy who is so unpolished, that there is talk of him changing positions?  On top of that, there's so much dough, foolishly wrapped up in Flacco, who is just barely a top 25 starter.  Flacco is serviceable, but there's not a team in the league that would trade for that contract, so the Ravens are stuck for now.   

However, the media isn't going to allow him to sit for long, as Jackson has already become their darling.  I remember the draft coverage, where the four QBs drafted in the top 10 got about 20 minutes of total air time, then the panel spent nearly a hour and a half pontificating on where Jackson should be drafted.  It'll just be a matter of time before the clamoring begins.  So have fun with that Harbaugh...

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:16 PM, Danger said:

Halfway through 2019 is a year and a half. That's plenty of time. Truthfully he should be learning more from RG3 than Flacco, given that Flacco isn't very good, and more importantly Griffin is more like him.

RG3 has been a failure for two teams, and hasn't played in a year.  Flacco is a former Superbowl MVP, making $20 mil/year.  Who would you want to learn from?

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:38 PM, pheltzbahr said:

Week 1.  As a Wide Receiver.

Media will never let that happen.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:06 PM, CP3MVP said:

Well yeah. I’m not drafting a “project” round 1(at any position). That’s for the midrounds

Thank you!  Why has spending 1st round picks on 'projects' become so commonplace lately?

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:49 AM, DontTazeMeBro said:

My hope is around week 10 for a late season run where the league has no tape and don’t know how to stop him yet

He absolutely needs to be week 1 starter in 2019. When you draft a QB you have a 5 year window where you don’t have a ton of money tied up at QB and can put together a super talented roster. Complete waste of an opportunity if he sits behind Flacco for more than a year 

If by week 10, they are in position for a late season run, I seriously doubt they would change starting quarterbacks...

But they would still have a ton of money tied up in a quarterback (Flacco), who would be then sitting on the bench, if they were to follow you're advise.  At that point they're getting no value from their money.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:25 PM, DontTazeMeBro said:

3 of the best rookie years by QBs were Newton, RG3, and Watson. So what kind of QBs are really “ NFL ready”?

Newton is average at best, and RG3 can barely hold down a back-up job; so were they really NFL ready? 

Jury still out on Watson, but if I had to wager, I doubt he repeats what he did last year.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:30 AM, Danger said:

Worse than most backups.

I don't even like Flacco, but that's a gross exaggeration.  Name all the backups that are better than Flacco...   ...I'll help, there are none....

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:44 AM, Darth Pees said:

sounds like Cam Newton.

Archived