When Does Lamar Jackson Start His First Game?

MKnight82

2 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

The Ravens' bye week is week 10. So I'll guess week 11.

First round QBs don't usually sit for long.

hes essentially a second round pick when you look at what was given up to trade up

1 hour ago, bzane said:

I don't claim to know all that much about it, but I was under the general impression that Lamar Jackson needs time- time in which to be coached, time to learn under Joe Flacco- and would be, the Ravens knew, a long-term project requiring patience. I was under the impression that Baltimore thus was a good scenario for him, Joe Flacco ahead of him, perhaps RG-3, and he would not need to be force fed a la Kizer in Cleveland last year. Ideally, then, they not only expect him to take time, they want him to have that time. Sort of like Rodgers watching Favre in Green Bay for a couple of years?

Thus, Lamar Jackson should not have to start a game right away- and that would be a good thing. Rather than him having to come in and be Superman like Robert Griffin was his first year in Washington.

Halfway through 2019 is a year and a half. That's plenty of time. Truthfully he should be learning more from RG3 than Flacco, given that Flacco isn't very good, and more importantly Griffin is more like him.

Just now, Danger said:

Halfway through 2019 is a year and a half. That's plenty of time. Truthfully he should be learning more from RG3 than Flacco, given that Flacco isn't very good, and more importantly Griffin is more like him.

RGIII will be teaching him throughout the season in practice, while Joe plays

33 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I'm pretty sure the 32nd pick in the draft is in the first round.

The last pick of the 1st round is basically a 2nd rounder.

The first pick of the 2nd rounder is basically a 1st rounder.

pick 33 > 32, and don’t @ me.

3 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

theres a difference between sitting behind a hall of famer and well joe flacco. 

Flacco is a super bowl mvp quarterback that if not for an elite talent falling, the front office was content with RG3 as the backup.

Flacco is also being paid over $20 million dollars, if he’s having a quality season, you don’t bench him, especially when you want your quarterback to have time to develop.

Lastly, if you make the decision to bench Flacco, you make the decision to get no value for him. You now HAVE to cut him and obtain no value for it. Whereas if he plays and does well, you now can leverage his play as an asset to a team that might be in need of a quarterback that can be a game manager in the regular season and then have clutch factor ability in the playoffs. Playoff Flacco is a real thing and if you remind the league of it, there’s the potential to obtain at least a second round pick for the acquisition of his services.

Benching him in week 11 makes absolutely no business sense unless he’s having a completely terrible season.

In terms of the OP question. I think it’s year to year. If Flacco gets us into a playoff run and looks like a stud, you acknowledge that he can be had for a prime price (1st round pick) and if multiple teams meet the demands, you respectfully give Flacco the choice of where he would like to go. If one team meets the requirement, you wish him the best. But if no team meets those demands, you retain Flacco for another season to continue to groom your quarterback.

If anything, I might even make a deal with Flacco for him to retire after two seasons and they give him the starting job uninfringed for as long as his play is of specific quality. Thus in the end it becomes a win/win scenario.

Just now, diamondbull424 said:

Flacco is a super bowl mvp quarterback that if not for an elite talent falling, the front office was content with RG3 as the backup.

Flacco is also being paid over $20 million dollars, if he’s having a quality season, you don’t bench him, especially when you want your quarterback to have time to develop.

Lastly, if you make the decision to bench Flacco, you make the decision to get no value for him. You now HAVE to cut him and obtain no value for it. Whereas if he plays and does well, you now can leverage his play as an asset to a team that might be in need of a quarterback that can be a game manager in the regular season and then have clutch factor ability in the playoffs. Playoff Flacco is a real thing and if you remind the league of it, there’s the potential to obtain at least a second round pick for the acquisition of his services.

Benching him in week 11 makes absolutely no business sense unless he’s having a completely terrible season.

In terms of the OP question. I think it’s year to year. If Flacco gets us into a playoff run and looks like a stud, you acknowledge that he can be had for a prime price (1st round pick) and if multiple teams meet the demands, you respectfully give Flacco the choice of where he would like to go. If one team meets the requirement, you wish him the best. But if no team meets those demands, you retain Flacco for another season to continue to groom your quarterback.

If anything, I might even make a deal with Flacco for him to retire after two seasons and they give him the starting job uninfringed for as long as his play is of specific quality. Thus in the end it becomes a win/win scenario.

bro you are talking to an eagles fan you know the team where the reigning super bowl mvp will watch from the sidelines as a better qb plays?

14 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

bro you are talking to an eagles fan you know the team where the reigning super bowl mvp will watch from the sidelines as a better qb plays?

That’s a completely different dynamic entirely. Nick Foles was signed on to be your BACKUP QB. He wasn’t the incumbent starter that went onto win the Super Bowl MVP and then the Eagles decided that they wanted to just bench him because there was someone waiting in the wings. Hes the guy who took over for the guy who led the team to what 14 wins? And a playoff birth and is a young franchise QB that has proven league MVP type ability when on the field.

2 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

theres a difference between sitting behind a hall of famer and well joe flacco. 

As much as I would love for Jackson to sit behind a QB like Brett Favre or someone who can teach him how to throw a football good, him sitting has nothing to do (IMO) with learning from Flacco, and everything to do with the fact that this team, because of how they financially strapped themselves to Flacco, are stuck with him for one more year. If they could financially afford to cut Flacco and start Jackson, I think they would.

But they can't, and they're not just going to bench him for Jackson this year. So Jackson will sit and work on his accuracy and other things behind the scenes while Flacco most likely continues to make us hate our lives at the QB position. And when the time comes, we'll restart with a new scheme and unleash the Jackson onto the world.

4 hours ago, Crickett said:

Then you probably shouldn't draft a QB in the first round who could be described as a "project" in the first place, but here we are.

Well yeah. I’m not drafting a “project” round 1(at any position). That’s for the midrounds

4 hours ago, bzane said:

I don't claim to know all that much about it, but I was under the general impression that Lamar Jackson needs time- time in which to be coached, time to learn under Joe Flacco- and would be, the Ravens knew, a long-term project requiring patience. I was under the impression that Baltimore thus was a good scenario for him, Joe Flacco ahead of him, perhaps RG-3, and he would not need to be force fed a la Kizer in Cleveland last year. Ideally, then, they not only expect him to take time, they want him to have that time. Sort of like Rodgers watching Favre in Green Bay for a couple of years?

Thus, Lamar Jackson should not have to start a game right away- and that would be a good thing. Rather than him having to come in and be Superman like Robert Griffin was his first year in Washington.

I heard the Ravens will actually have Lamar Jackson sit for 3 years watching Brett Favre highlights before they even consider playing him.

"The Baltimore Ravens have committed every effort to ensure that the corpse of Joe Flacco remains our starting QB until 2020!"

Archived