When Does Lamar Jackson Start His First Game?

MKnight82

My hope is around week 10 for a late season run where the league has no tape and don’t know how to stop him yet

He absolutely needs to be week 1 starter in 2019. When you draft a QB you have a 5 year window where you don’t have a ton of money tied up at QB and can put together a super talented roster. Complete waste of an opportunity if he sits behind Flacco for more than a year 

11 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I don't have a problem with a QB drafted from 20-32 sitting for two years. I do have a problem with a top 10 QB not starting right away. If they cant start from game 1 they shouldn't be drafted in the top 10.

So you're telling us that Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Jared Goff, Carson Palmer, Steve McNair, etc. aren't worth being drafted in the top 10?

I think it depends on how Lamar progresses, If the coaching staff likes what it sees, as soon as next year, this is the best scenario and like wackywabbit said, we've ALWAYS been in the playoff talks until the last games of the season under Joe Flacco, so the our season ending early and putting Lamar out there is highly unlikely.

And we've spent pretty much everything this free agency and draft just on the offense, after neglecting it to death the past few seasons. Joe is probably going to at least have a decent season this year, the talent level on offense went from being arguably the worst in franchise history, to one of the better ones. I don't understand the Flacco bashing either,  the only decent receiver he's had the past few seasons is Mike Wallace, and the OL has been decimated by injuries. I think only maybe 4 or 5 QBs could be successful here with the terrible supporting cast we've been trotting out.

He will sit AT LEAST 2 years. You guys are delusional if you think he is going to start after 1 season. 

Flacco will start in the next 2 seasons then the Ravens will figure out what to do depending on Lamar's progression and how Flacco performs in that spam. 

23 minutes ago, warrenblue said:

He will sit AT LEAST 2 years. You guys are delusional if you think he is going to start after 1 season. 

Flacco will start in the next 2 seasons then the Ravens will figure out what to do depending on Lamar's progression and how Flacco performs in that spam. 

Why is it delusional to think that he'll be playing next season, when that's the first season we can cut Flacco and we'll have IIRC $18M in cap savings?

12 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Why is it delusional to think that he'll be playing next season, when that's the first season we can cut Flacco and we'll have IIRC $18M in cap savings?

Only if the Ravens cut him post June, which does not make sense to me. But in 2020, he will have a 28m cap hit with a 8m dead cap. That's when I think the Ravens will cut him. 

11 minutes ago, warrenblue said:

Only if the Ravens cut him post June, which does not make sense to me. But in 2020, he will have a 28m cap hit with a 8m dead cap. That's when I think the Ravens will cut him. 

We can either cut or trade him next year and save a ton on the cap savings. No point in riding out (most likely) another poor year of Flacco if Jackson is ready in one year.

1 hour ago, Elky said:

So you're telling us that Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Jared Goff, Carson Palmer, Steve McNair, etc. aren't worth being drafted in the top 10?

Different league.

Four of those guys were drafted when sitting QBs was still a thing and the other played for a coach who thought it was still 1999. 

11 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Yeah but Flacco's contract has an out after 2019, so he can either get cut and take whatever money they owe him in 2019 or he can sign a new 3 or 4 year deal with a new team and get traded.

I don't know why anyone would take that deal though. I can obviously see teams having interest in a free agent Flacco because that will be a lower price plus you can keep whatever draft pick. I honestly believe 99% of the people who think Flacco has a high enough ceiling to worth a trade are Baltimore Ravens fans. He puts up numbers that would only be impressive in the 70s on back.

Who knows.  Ball is in Flacco's court now.

If he's stinking up the joint and the Ravens are completely out of the playoff chase, i wouldn't rule out the last few weeks of this year's schedule in the "garbage time" of the season a la JimmyG with the Niners.

If not...it really depends on how Joe still looks toward the end of the year and/or if the team makes the playoffs and/or how he performs within those playoffs if they make it.  Could mean Joe is cut loose before next season and Lamar takes the reins.  Could be another year, or could even be a case where Joe hangs on longer than most expect at a competitive level and Lamar gets Garropalo'd in a trade to some other team after mostly sitting for a year or two.  Flacco's health seems to be deteriorating and he's not exactly the surgeon type who is likely to thrive late into his career if the arm-strength starts to fade, so it's unlikely.  But it really does just come down to how long Joe can remain a quality starting QB imo.  And his pretty rough 2017 campaign makes that even harder to forecast.

19 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

It's definitely not delusional. It's not even delusional that it be this year if Flacco really plays bad and Jackson looks good in practice. No one knows, including the FO and coaching staff. It's going to depend on how things go.

I believe it's just more likely that Flacco looks like the better option for two years.

Archived