When Does Lamar Jackson Start His First Game?

MKnight82

Lamar Jackson is coming in as a late first round pick.  Flacco is the incumbent, but they obviously plan on moving on if they drafted Jackson.  Cutting Flacco next year is rather reasonable:

https://overthecap.com/player/joe-flacco/1383 

So $16 mil in dead money, but $10 mil in cap savings.  Post June 1st cut looks even better with $8 mil cap hit and $18.5 mil cap savings.  

They signed RG3, who as a dual threat QB seems to be schematically a good backup to Lamar Jackson.  

So does Jackson start any games this season? 

They are definitely not in a rush to move on from Flacco. Definitely not this season. Most likely not next season. And possibly even further out.

Lamar Jackson's first start will probably be injury related if it happens anytime soon.

My guess is 2020 since Flacco is pretty tough and durable. It also makes even more sense in terms of his contract since there will be no cap charge from future years to settle if we move on then.

I don't see him starting any time before 2019. Even if our season goes down the drain this year, I don't think we'll play him because I think we're preparing to totally revamp our system and scheme for him and there's no point in throwing Jackson into Flacco's scheme to get him reps when everything's gonna change when Flacco's gone.

So my answer is 2019 pending Flacco suddenly becoming a NFL-caliber player again.

My hope for both Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson is they both start their first game in 2020.  Give both of them two solid years to learn their offense, adjust to the NFL game and most importantly, improve their mechanics and/or decision making. 

52 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Lamar Jackson is coming in as a late first round pick.  Flacco is the incumbent, but they obviously plan on moving on if they drafted Jackson.  Cutting Flacco next year is rather reasonable:

https://overthecap.com/player/joe-flacco/1383 

So $16 mil in dead money, but $10 mil in cap savings.  Post June 1st cut looks even better with $8 mil cap hit and $18.5 mil cap savings.  

They signed RG3, who as a dual threat QB seems to be schematically a good backup to Lamar Jackson.  

So does Jackson start any games this season? 

Just a small note, the post June 1st cut is $8 mil for 2019 and $8 mil for 2020 in cap hit.  So post cut is just spreading the dead money over 2 years instead of 1, which makes it easier to swallow, but not decreasing it.  

$16 million is still a lot to take in.  If his low productivity drops even lower then maybe trade him and a pick to a cash heavy team, so they can cut him (like Osweiler).  Or if they are in rebuild mode then, I guess it won't matter.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Halfway through 2019, when the Ravens bench Joe Flacco.

I don't claim to know all that much about it, but I was under the general impression that Lamar Jackson needs time- time in which to be coached, time to learn under Joe Flacco- and would be, the Ravens knew, a long-term project requiring patience. I was under the impression that Baltimore thus was a good scenario for him, Joe Flacco ahead of him, perhaps RG-3, and he would not need to be force fed a la Kizer in Cleveland last year. Ideally, then, they not only expect him to take time, they want him to have that time. Sort of like Rodgers watching Favre in Green Bay for a couple of years?

Thus, Lamar Jackson should not have to start a game right away- and that would be a good thing. Rather than him having to come in and be Superman like Robert Griffin was his first year in Washington.

1 hour ago, Crickett said:

My hope for both Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson is they both start their first game in 2020.  Give both of them two solid years to learn their offense, adjust to the NFL game and most importantly, improve their mechanics and/or decision making. 

You don’t draft a qb in the first round and sit him for two years. 

8 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

You don’t draft a qb in the first round and sit him for two years. 

Then you probably shouldn't draft a QB in the first round who could be described as a "project" in the first place, but here we are.

Archived