Kickoffs to be "modified"

bucsfan333

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If it happened even once that’s still too much.

It’s an awful way to squeeze every dime out of advertisers to the detriment of the viewer.

Not really. The networks are allotted 10 commercial breaks per half (plus two during halftime). The 1st and 3rd quarter breaks are designated for commercials, as are the 2 minute warnings. The networks make the choice where they want to schedule the remainder. PAT-Break-KO-Break patterns may be annoying, but they don't increase the number of commercial breaks in a game, nor the amount of advertising income generated.

This mock outrage over the demise of the kickoff is laughable.  I've been watching the NFL since the late 70's, and when (not if... when) the NFL does get rid of kickoffs, I won't miss them even a little bit.

13 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

God I love this type of justification. "We just want to improve it a little." Then they "improve" it a little more, and a little more. Then in 20, 40 years or so has the lowest viewest views out of any sports because its lost his violent and raw appeal we hear the geniuses talk (usually the people advocated and defended the first changes) about how they went too far with the new rules and restructuring and about how this is a cautionary tale. 

The draft had its highest viewing total ever this year. More than NBA finals games.

I think things will be fine from a popularity standpoint.

6 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Once there's a way to replace the onside kick, it sounds like kickoffs are donezo.

The NFL is already trying to make it more enticing for teams to take the ball at the 25 as it is. The next step is to just take the ball at the 25.

4th and 10 at your own 35 rather than giving the ball over? isnt that what that new league is doing? lol

Just now, Dingo18287 said:

They just need to make it like a punt. Have 1 returner near the goal line, and have the other 10 guys on kickoff return 10-15 yards away from the kickoff. That is by far my favorite idea I've heard so far.

The counter-arguments to this:

1. How is this different than a kickoff from a blocking/collision perspective?
  2. How do you replicate the onside kick?

38 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Every kick off is exciting, IMO. Perhaps the most unpredictable part of football. I would hate for it to become extinct.

Given that nearly 60% of kickoffs end in touchbacks, I would argue it is perhaps one of the most predictable parts of football (extra points being the only thing that are more so ... yes, even with them moving it back).

22 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

4th and 10 at your own 35 rather than giving the ball over? isnt that what that new league is doing? lol

I would guess they're gonna wait and see how that plays out before implementing it.

53 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Not really. The networks are allotted 10 commercial breaks per half (plus two during halftime). The 1st and 3rd quarter breaks are designated for commercials, as are the 2 minute warnings. The networks make the choice where they want to schedule the remainder. PAT-Break-KO-Break patterns may be annoying, but they don't increase the number of commercial breaks in a game, nor the amount of advertising income generated.

Really, it’s awful.

If they don’t increase the number, then decrease what they’re currently at.  

I won’t consider watching an entire game live, it’s an awful experience, hence DVR.

6 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Once there's a way to replace the onside kick, it sounds like kickoffs are donezo.

The NFL is already trying to make it more enticing for teams to take the ball at the 25 as it is. The next step is to just take the ball at the 25.

With the way offenses can play, I was hoping they'd move it back to the 10 just to incentivize touchbacks.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I won’t consider watching an entire game live, it’s an awful experience, hence DVR.

Eh, I just treat it as a 5-7 minute break after a touchdown is scored.

My son's in peewee, you can either go for it on 4th or can get a "spot" that is the equivalent of a 25 yard punt.  How long before the NFL does that too?

On a related note, NBA teams can have a sponsor on their jersey like Wish. Will Vagisil be a team sponsor, or NFL sponsor?

2 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

The draft had its highest viewing total ever this year. More than NBA finals games.

I think things will be fine from a popularity standpoint.

Hope your right. But considering since the hiring of Goodell it's become the Age of Pandering for the NFL. Rome did fall from grace. 

Archived