2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

AlNFL19

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

I am not a Buckeye fan at all and this is ridiculous. His footwork is average. No better or worse than Darnold's, who was everyone's favorite QB last year. He is actually excellent at reading through progressions when his first read isn't there. The offense allows him to make a lot of predetermined throws, but when the initial read isn't there, he does a great job of scanning the field at each level and completing the pass. The accuracy thing is hilarious. He's extremely accurate and has tremendous ball placement. This is probably his best attribute. And nobody is calling him fast. You don't need to be fast at the QB position. He's plenty fast enough to escape and make a play with his legs. He has an excellent arm. And you can't freaking discount the QB because he's got good weapons around him. So do a lot of other QB's that absolutely suck.

And I'm not even calling for him to be a #1 pick franchise QB or anything. But your claim that he's barely a QB is freaking terrible and you should feel bad about it.

Coming from someone that said Foster should be killed. Yeah, I'm definitely taking emotional advice from you.

He'll stink in the NFL. 

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah I have. Great stats...looks amazing on paper.

Poor footwork, slow to read through progressions, has these drives where everything looks not-right (consistency is an issue), accuracy isn't great (placement), not actually that fast (predicted high 4.7s), one of the best environments in football (good receivers etc). Good arm strength though.

Are you a Buckeye fan?

yeah you trash ima keep it moving

haha accuracy isnt great 

you wild 

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He's literally nothing like Aaron Rodgers.  Nothing.  And watch how much of his production comes in short, underneath routes.  A TON of his production against Michigan came that way.  The scheme is definitely making him look better than he is.  The tools are nice, but in terms of prospect value he's not a 1st round pick.

He is literally just like Rodgers AS A PROSPECT! !!

Tedford's system at Cal made Rodgers look good by using lots of short and intermediate routes. He plunged on Draft Day because that Tedford system was a security blanket.

With all the doubt on how good the top end of the class is, one flip side - I think there are about 7-8 projects that are worth having on your team, just not worth a Rd1 pick (or even Rd2), as they need 1-2 years development time.  While there will be guys who go way too soon out of need, once the run is done, there's actually a chance to mine some value in Rd3-4.

Outside of the usual suspects being discussed - Herbert & Haskins, the issue is it's hard to separate the next group:

Grier - 24, Big 12, has struggled vs. better teams, pressure definitely gets to him, and smaller dude.  For age 24 to be not polished, more risk

Jones - almost polar opposite concerns, young, raw, but tools are there, and he hangs in the pocket and shows flashes of brilliance in the QB-specific skills.  

Lock - I have no idea how he's getting Round 1 talk again in more recent mainstream mocks.  I get it, 6'4, 220, strong arm.  But it's not generational like Allen, and he's got accuracy, pocket awareness, and processing-time issues.   Man, I don't see Rd1 at all.

Montez - small school, struggled against better competition, but unlike the others, so far he's flown under the radar.   Nowhere near a sure thing, given his struggles against good D's, but his Senior Bowl (RS Jr. so eligible in theory if he's going to graduate) & Combine will be huge.  Would love him him at Rd3 but BF2010 thinks he won't last that long.   Which would be a shame.

Thorson - terrible team, terrible OL & skill players the last 2 years, but he's hung in there post-ACL.  And he will regain full explosion next year (not that it will make him into a weapon, but will improve his pocket mobility).  He's shown toughness, and good anticipation / placement, and accurate short-medium, with very good deep ball strength, too..  Biggest problem besides awful cast - his mechanics need work - why he isn't as good in deep ball accuracy.  He will need a good QB coach to fix that.   The main benefit for Thorson is so far there's not even a hint of talk - which means he's probably there at Rd3, barring some Combine/Sr. Bowl explosion.

And I know I'm probably missing 2 others who will likely belong in that group.

As a DEN fan, I'd be happy if any of those guys were there at Rd3 - sadly, none of those guys separate enough to warrant a Rd1 pick.  And once the teams go Rd1 for QB, I think we'll see a lull, other than a team like NE/LAC going for their future guy (and even then, might not be until Rd3).   Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I suspect at least 1-2 of those guys will fall to Rd3.  I sure as h*** hope DEN doesn't reach Rd1 for QB - the one silver lining of our 2 upset W's (even though it was buoyed completely by a 6-0 TO margin, a blocked FG and some horrendous LAC play calling and game management to win) - we probably have done a lot of PR locally to let Elway not reach for QB as need in Rd1.  Which while I can't stand Keenum as our QB - I'd do anything and everything to keep DEN in the running for a Rd1 2020 QB, where there are 3-4 talents I'll feel much better about than anyone who will be there where we pick.

On 26/11/2018 at 2:00 PM, Broncofan said:

I don’t see Tampa parting ways with Winston.  At least not until after 2019. The owners really support him.  If they were thinking to part ways they would have kept him benched to avoid the 2019 option guaranteeing for injury. 

FWIW I think Gruden will use the 2 later 1sts to get “his guy”.  He’s thrown Carr under the bus too many times to think otherwise.   Carr gets traded and he uses the pick capital to get QB in the teens (either DAL ends up there or he moves up).  I’m calling the OAK shot.  

I think either way, these things probably don't really change the number of teams looking at QBs early.

Even if the Bucs did move on from Winston, that'd put them in the QB draft market...but it'd fill some other QB need elsewhere with someone giving Jameis a shot for the year.

Same with Gruden and Oakland with Carr.  Either they're sticking with Carr, or they're moving on from him and he's going to land with one of the other QB needy teams on that Top-15 list.  I'm kinda inclined to think they just tank out another year with Carr because Gruden goes to get his guy in 2020, shiny new ready to get going in Vegas.  Gruden obviously has the job security to tool around like that...and this doesn't feel like the kind of QB class to get all revved up about and start using multiple picks to get that special guy, especially compared to potentially next year.  But with Gruden...who knows.

These kind of things could shuffle around the order and specific teams looking QB early, but it probably mostly just amounts to musical chairs in the Top-15ish group at most.

Gonna be interesting to see just how far up the QBs ultimately end up getting pushed though.

46 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I think either way, these things probably don't really change the number of teams looking at QBs early.

Even if the Bucs did move on from Winston, that'd put them in the QB draft market...but it'd fill some other QB need elsewhere with someone giving Jameis a shot for the year.

Same with Gruden and Oakland with Carr.  Either they're sticking with Carr, or they're moving on from him and he's going to land with one of the other QB needy teams on that Top-15 list.  I'm kinda inclined to think they just tank out another year with Carr because Gruden goes to get his guy in 2020, shiny new ready to get going in Vegas.  Gruden obviously has the job security to tool around like that...and this doesn't feel like the kind of QB class to get all revved up about and start using multiple picks to get that special guy, especially compared to potentially next year.  But with Gruden...who knows.

These kind of things could shuffle around the order and specific teams looking QB early, but it probably mostly just amounts to musical chairs in the Top-15ish group at most.

Gonna be interesting to see just how far up the QBs ultimately end up getting pushed though.

You also have to look at what Teddy Bridgewater does.  Does he stick with the Saints expecting to be the heir to Brees on a manageable contract or does he look to a starting job at one of those teams listed like Jacksonville?

1 hour ago, Raves said:

You also have to look at what Teddy Bridgewater does.  Does he stick with the Saints expecting to be the heir to Brees on a manageable contract or does he look to a starting job at one of those teams listed like Jacksonville?

JAX & WAS are so cap strapped (WAS more of an issue of how much dead $ already in that spot and with guys like Clinton Dix and Preston Smith who need extensions) the draft really represents the only way to address QB next year.   A team like MIA is a great FA competitor for Teddy B (which then creates a cheaper market for stopgap needy teams with a Tannehill release but not for the top guy).  

On 2018-11-26 at 12:54 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Where would people rank Justin Herbert, the consensus #1 potential 2019 QB, among last year's big 4 of Baker, Darnold, Allen and Rosen? Hit me with a top 5 of them as prospects.

I currently have him 5 behind Mayfield, Jackson, Darnold and Rosen in that order. He's better than Allen because he can actually compete the forward pass

Archived