Could an All American NCAA college team beat the 2017 Browns?

Vladimir L

team packed with strictly 1st and 2nd and 3rd round pick from this years draft? also with the best under classmen who decided not to be elgible for the draft......

better question then if Alabama could....go

Now the talent level is there, but this would be a schematic mish-mash of all kinds of players. Coaching is just as important as talent, does this team get a summer full of minicamp, OTAs, and some pre-season games?

There will still be the rookie wall a lot of young guys hit when they transition to the next level. More games, harder hits, more complex schemes.

I say they go 1-15. They grab a game somewhere in weeks 4-6 after some cohesion is established but before they get worn down.

EDIT: Didn't read the OP clearly, I think this team would beat the Browns maybe 1 in 20 times. If this squad replaced an NFL team and played a 16 game schedule, they might get lucky and grab 1 win.

Just now, tom cody said:

They might make it close but I doubt it. 

Agreed.

I think they would hang around for a little while, and I'm basing this on them having a full off season to workout together, learn the playbook, and have already  played some college games so they are in game shape together. The first half would be somewhat close, but I think the Browns would end up winning still.

If you gave both teams the same amount of practice time, with a brand new scheme, brand new coaching, on a neutral site, in the first game of the season, without any tune up games...

I'd give it about a 1 out of 5 shot.

Just now, Hunter2_1 said:

No, they'd get crushed. Awful thread.

^_^

It could be worse.

Some poor sap in this forum just created a thread asking how 2017 Alabama would fare against an NFL schedule. He attached a poll and everything.

;)

Sam Darnold QB

Saquon Barkley RB

only offensive players which tend to have a hard time learning the modern game are wr....

offensivelineman can develope early but this question would be both teams have practice time and new scheme....

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

It could be worse.

Some poor sap in this forum just created a thread asking how 2017 Alabama would fare against an NFL schedule. He attached a poll and everything.

;)

Haha! Takes all sorts to make a fun forum, doesn't it.

1 hour ago, Vladimir L said:

team packed with strictly 1st and 2nd and 3rd round pick from this years draft? also with the best under classmen who decided not to be elgible for the draft......

better question then if Alabama could....go

So, you're taking the ostensibly/supposedly best players in college (as it relates to pro potential) for one draft and pitting them against an NFL team.  There are three primary reasons that I would say the answer is still no, although they might be able to take 1/10 or 1/20 matchups.  

1) As others have mentioned, these players wouldn't have the benefit of team cohesion.  This is something that is actually lost vs. the "could Alabama beat the Browns?" questions.

2) The NFL team has the benefit of development.  Players are still not at their peak level as rookies.

3) Survivorship favors the NFL team.  By that I mean that the NFL team has culled those who were drafted, but couldn't cut it from their roster.  Those that remain are ostensibly the best 53 guys that were available to the team through draft/FA over the past X number of years.  There are reasons that may not be the case exactly (salary cap, rebuilding, etc.), but the concept remains in tact.  The hypothetical team of draftees includes a bunch of guys who will assuredly be out of the league (and/or not be able to get on the field) in a relatively short time.

Archived