Could an All American NCAA college team beat the 2017 Browns?

Vladimir L

I think a better question would be to look at the previous year's draft class and see if you could construct a team from them that would've beat the worse team of the year.  Having knowledge of how they performed in the NFL in their rookie years would also give us a better comparison.

7 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

Id trust anyone over Kieser and whatever rb cleaveland has.

Well, you're already on the internet, so you could easily lookup the RBs Cleveland had.  Isaiah Crowell and Duke Johnson were decent options.  I like Saquon Barkley better than both of them, obviously, but where the real difference is going to show up is the play of the line blocking for them.  Who is your O-Line?  How do they handle NFL defenders with no time together nor development time? Also, how does Barkley handle additional responsibilities like blitz pickup, etc. at the NFL level?  We have no idea at this point.

Lets see

QB: Mayfield

RB: Barkley

WR: DJ Moore

WR: James Washington

WR: Calvin Ridley

TE: Mike Gesicki

OL: Wynn, Nelson, Price, Ragnow, Jonah Williams

DE: Chubb

DT: Payne

DT: Oliver

DE: Nick Bosa

LB: Edmunds

LB: Smith

LB: van der Esch

CB: Ward

CB: Alexander

S: James

S: Fitzpatrick

They at least would make it close if not win

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I feel like we ask this every year. I know there will be a ton of great college players but i just think Cleveland will be too big/fast. If the NCAA team had time to practice maybe

Also, if you go back to a random draft from more than four years ago, I'm sure there will be a ton of first rounders (day 2 guys at the very least) who everyone will say "who?" or "that guy sucks!"  There's a lot of shine on these guys now, but a healthy bunch might not even be starting caliber (or even rosterable) at some point.

8 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I think the best pass rushers you could find from college could eat Cleveland’s OL alive. 

Joel Bitonio: Pro Bowl OG

Kevin Zeitler: Pro Bowl OG

Joe Thomas: Hall of Fame LT

JC Tretter: Mediocre at best center

Shon Coleman: Average at best right tackle

I'm not sure where you're coming up with the narrative that Cleveland's OL was bad in 2017.

14 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Lets see

QB: Mayfield

RB: Barkley

WR: DJ Moore

WR: James Washington

WR: Calvin Ridley

TE: Mike Gesicki

OL: Wynn, Nelson, Price, Ragnow, Jonah Williams

DE: Chubb

DT: Payne

DT: Oliver

DE: Nick Bosa

LB: Edmunds

LB: Smith

LB: van der Esch

CB: Ward

CB: Alexander

S: James

S: Fitzpatrick

They at least would make it close if not win

No. No, they would not. It would be 28-0 Cleveland at halftime.

You don't know it yet, but at least six of the names on your team will be considered NFL busts in two years. There's a chance that at least 10 of these names will be out of the NFL in five years. 

I think the tackles on the oline would be exposed for the all draft team, and they'd have trouble throwing the ball with inexperienced QB/WR going up again NFL corners.  I think the raw talent on D would prevent them from scoring every time, but they'd still give up a good amount of points.  I'd say the final score would be 41-7 Browns.  I could see them breaking one big play on offense but get largely shut down.  And the D giving up about 5 TD's and 2 FG's in probably 10-11 possessions sounds about right.

Bill Belichick gets to assemble his own staff, and build a team from any college players he wants out of the entirety of the NCAA for two years in a row. Then they enter the league as the 33rd NFL team.

How long until they are going 14-2 and winning Superbowls?

38 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Bill Belichick gets to assemble his own staff, and build a team from any college players he wants out of the entirety of the NCAA for two years in a row. Then they enter the league as the 33rd NFL team.

How long until they are going 14-2 and winning Superbowls?

Decades - because he doesn't have Tom Brady.

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Joel Bitonio: Pro Bowl OG

Kevin Zeitler: Pro Bowl OG

Joe Thomas: Hall of Fame LT

JC Tretter: Mediocre at best center

Shon Coleman: Average at best right tackle

I'm not sure where you're coming up with the narrative that Cleveland's OL was bad in 2017.

Well. The 50 sacks they gave up. The mediocre run game. 

And Joe Thomas only played 7 games and was living off his reputation anyway 

6 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Well. The 50 sacks they gave up.

When you're behind by 21 every game and have to pass every down, that will happen. Plus, throw in a rookie QB (Kizer) who can't process things AT ALL and a league leading % in 3 or more vertical routes, that would be a better explanation.

The mediocre run game. 

See above. Who is going to run the ball down 20 every game? Duke and Crow both averaged over 4 yards per carry. They were 18th in the NFL in rushing and 29th in attempts. That shows how much you know about their team last year.

And Joe Thomas only played 7 games

Correct. He played almost half the season.

and was living off his reputation anyway 

LOL. His 1st Ballot Hall of Fame reputation? He only allowed 1 freaking sack in 7 games.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=8257

If you want to dog the Browns, please do, because they're horrible. Just don't make a bunch of crap up and then pretend that you're right.

I asked it in the Alabama thread, will ask it here:

Could this hypothetical NCAA team beat a CFL team? What's the limit on that? (Worst CFL team, middle CFL team, best CFL team, All Star CFL team?)

Archived