Saints Watch- Additional First Round Pick (0-1)

pacman5252

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd have taken Jaire at 14 ahead of Davenport knowing what I think we have there. The fact we got an extra 1st rounder is just gravy on top. The only guy I'd consider a potentially better option at 14 so far is Derwin.

IDK, I was high on Leighton Vander Esch

Really no different than the King / Watt argument. If we can't make it work with Clark / Daniels on the DL we got bigger problems. If we take care of our business in the draft room, something we have not done as of late, there is no need to worry about what others are doing. It was reported pretty early on that we weren't interested in Davenport.

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Really no different than the King / Watt argument. If we can't make it work with Clark / Daniels on the DL we got bigger problems. If we take care of our business in the draft room, something we have not done as of late, there is no need to worry about what others are doing. It was reported pretty early on that we weren't interested in Davenport.

kind of curious as to whom the Saints thought was about to take Davenport to give move that far up in the first?

24 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

There wasn't anyone in this subforum during the draft period higher on him than me. Think he's going to be a stud, but I'd use him as more of a sub down pass rusher than Dallas has.

This is true....and he did seem to be all over the field in that HOU game.
Question - was somebody hurt (?) and thats why he was getting so much play? Or is he just kicking *** ?

10 hours ago, Norm said:

He was too raw to help year one. I was only told 50000000000 times. Because everyone who watched YouTube becomes a football genius these days.

Calm yourself.  He's got two sacks.  Rookie pass rushers usually aren't huge impact players right away.

Saints could still fall apart during this rough stretch of games.  Seasons can be derailed by a bad stretch of games.  Hopefully that happens.  Gotta root for the Buccaneers and Panthers a LOT.  We could still end up with a top 20 pick if the Panthers outpace the Saints for the division and the Saints somehow miss out on a wildcard. 

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Saints could still fall apart during this rough stretch of games.  Seasons can be derailed by a bad stretch of games.  Hopefully that happens.  Gotta root for the Buccaneers and Panthers a LOT.  We could still end up with a top 20 pick if the Panthers outpace the Saints for the division and the Saints somehow miss out on a wildcard. 

I thought they were going to struggle this season .. maybe they will yet.  I thought Brees was pretty mortal last year, but this year he's been much better than I expected.  Hopefully the long season begins to wear on him.  He doesn't have that great of arm strength, so any reduction in zip could have a big effect on that offense.

51 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Calm yourself.  He's got two sacks.  Rookie pass rushers usually aren't huge impact players right away.

But he's not on the bench either. He's already an above average player. If I told most people he would be that by this point they would have laughed me off the Earth. I'm not "uncalm" and it's not even directed at anyone here so nobody feel guilty. It was elsewhere I got ganged up on and I haven't said a word about it, because who cares. I think it's obvious my theory on the NFL by now is that it's not even 20% as predictable as we think as fans.

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

But he's not on the bench either. He's already an above average player. If I told most people he would be that by this point they would have laughed me off the Earth. I'm not "uncalm" and it's not even directed at anyone here so nobody feel guilty. It was elsewhere I got ganged up on and I haven't said a word about it, because who cares. I think it's obvious my theory on the NFL by now is that it's not even 20% as predictable as we think as fans.

I wasn't trying to imply that you were trying to "attack" anyone.  Merely saying that I believed it to be an overreaction.  I mean, last year Myles Garrett had 7 sacks and he was an exponentially better prospect.  IIRC, Marcus Davenport is playing roughly 45% of the defensive snaps, which is right around where you want your 3rd pass rusher to be in terms of snap count.  He's their 3rd pass rusher at this point, which is fine because like I mentioned rookie pass rushers aren't usually big impact players as rookies.  I think it was the notion that he was going to come in and be an impact player as a rookie to be highly unlikely.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I wasn't trying to imply that you were trying to "attack" anyone.  Merely saying that I believed it to be an overreaction.  I mean, last year Myles Garrett had 7 sacks and he was an exponentially better prospect.  IIRC, Marcus Davenport is playing roughly 45% of the defensive snaps, which is right around where you want your 3rd pass rusher to be in terms of snap count.  He's their 3rd pass rusher at this point, which is fine because like I mentioned rookie pass rushers aren't usually big impact players as rookies.  I think it was the notion that he was going to come in and be an impact player as a rookie to be highly unlikely.

Barring injury I think it's pretty likely he's going to outweigh his rookie average expectations. If it sounded like he's setting the world in fire, that's not what I meant. Hell I've already said stuff like slow your roll on him when people were upset we didn't get him instead. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I can already picture it: 

Saints and Panthers both push each other in the division race. Saints end up winning by 1 game and get the division title (and better chance to advance in playoffs). By also winning, the Panthers finish 1 game ahead of us for the No. 6 wildcard spot. 

We get screwed by the Panthers twice :)

Archived