Rather lose in the playoffs or Super Bowl?

jackbauer24

Which you rather lose in?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Which you rather lose in?

• Lose in the playoffs
    • Lose in the Super Bowl

Just now, TXsteeler said:

No offense to anybody but saying you'd rather lose in the playoffs is one of the biggest "loser" things I've ever heard anybody say.

I agree. I am on the opinion that if Aaron Rodgers gets hurt and is on IR, I'm not actively cheering for us to lose but I'm more okay with it knowing we have no shot. But if we make the playoffs, or even have a shot at making the playoffs, screw that I want to win

100% rather lose in the playoffs than lose in the Super Bowl.  All logic points to wanting it the other way, but there is no way in hell my heart would be able to take a Packers Super Bowl loss.  I started watching football a year or two after the Packers lost to the Broncos, so I've never experienced a Super Bowl loss, and if I did, it might be the end of my football watching.  The thought of being that close and forever going down as the loser of the Super Bowl is a thought that I just cannot stand. 

On 5/21/2018 at 3:27 PM, cddolphin said:

If you made it to the SB, you had wayy more highlights than lowlights, and at the end of the game you know you're right on the cusp of competing again the very next year.

This actually isn't true though. 

Falcons - Lost divisional round.
Panthers - Did not qualify for playoffs.
Seahawks - Lost Divisional round.
Broncos - Lost Divisional round.
Niners - Lost Championship.
Patriots - Lost Championship.
Steelers - Lost Wild Card.
Colts - Lost Wild Card.
Cardinals - Lost Divisional.
Bears - Missed playoffs.
Seahawks - Lost Divisional
Eagles - Missed Playoffs.
Panthers - Missed playoffs.
Raiders - Missed playoffs.
Rams - Missed playoffs.
Giants - Missed playoffs.
Titans - Lost Divisional round.
Falcons - Missed playoffs. 

So over the past 17 seasons, 2 teams made it to the Championship round.  6 teams made it to the divisional round.  2 made it to the wildcard.  7 missed the playoffs altogether. 

Pats fan here, and I’ll say it depends for me. Losing to the Eagles this season wasn’t nearly as crushing as losing to the Giants in 07/08. I guess you could say it wouldn’t be any better if the 16-0 team lost in the first round either, but it goes down as perhaps the biggest disappointment ever going 18-1.

A wild card loss nets you a pick as high as 23 vs 31, so logically if you knew you were going to lose with 100% certainty, you’d take the higher pick if you were looking ahead. 

I think generally speaking, I like seeing my team in the super bowl. That’s what I’d prefer. But if you said it’s a guarantee they’re going to lose, I’d be pretty tempted to prefer that loss come in the playoffs for the draft pick. 

On 5/21/2018 at 10:41 PM, jackbauer24 said:

Having a debate with a good friend of mines about this.  I rather lose in the Super Bowl more than losing in the playoffs because I least had a shot in one game of winning the ultimate prize.

Seeing my 49ers lose in an NFC Championship (and there has been a few) is far worse than seeing them lose in the Super Bowl. At least you are at the big game regardless of the outcome. You don't want to be on the doorstep, and for two weeks think of what could have been. 

Interesting, I see a lot of people answering the question with hindsight in their back pocket. 

6 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

100% rather lose in the playoffs than lose in the Super Bowl.  All logic points to wanting it the other way, but there is no way in hell my heart would be able to take a Packers Super Bowl loss.  I started watching football a year or two after the Packers lost to the Broncos, so I've never experienced a Super Bowl loss, and if I did, it might be the end of my football watching.  The thought of being that close and forever going down as the loser of the Super Bowl is a thought that I just cannot stand. 

Are you going to stop watching the Packers all together once Rodgers retires and if they don't find a suitable replacement? 

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Are you going to stop watching the Packers all together once Rodgers retires and if they don't find a suitable replacement? 

When both Brady and Rodgers retire we might actually see this forum become more balanced.

It’s sports. The entire point is to push yourself and your team as far as you can. It goes against the entire concept of athletics to say you’d rather lose early because of the fear you might not achieve everything. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves. 

Archived