Rather lose in the playoffs or Super Bowl?

jackbauer24

Which you rather lose in?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Which you rather lose in?

• Lose in the playoffs
    • Lose in the Super Bowl

I would say it depends a little on the circumstances.  In general, I'd rather lose in the playoffs.  If I rooted for a team that made it to the Superbowl, I'd be on cloud nine for two weeks and completely dejected for an entire offseason.  Losing in the playoffs wouldn't sting as much imo

Now, the circumstances I was referring to are: If I didn't think the team I hypothetically root for in this circumstance had a chance to win the Superbowl in the first place.  There have been several instances over the last twenty-five plus years where I've viewed the AFC or NFC championship games as "the real Superbowl".  Those Cowboys-49ers NFC championship games in the 90's or the Patriots-Colts AFC championship games in the 00's would be good examples of this.  Getting to the Superbowl and not thinking you actually have a chance doesn't give you the highs of thinking your team is going to be a champion but it doesn't give you the lows of thinking you were just so close. 

The idea that your team could have won after (Insert number here) years and finally brought your fanbase to the proverbial promised land but didn't is incredibly depressing imo, whereas "Ehh, we had a good run" is not. 

As a Vikings fan, and granted, I wasn't alive for their Super Bowl losses, I would go with Super Bowl. If you make it to the Super Bowl you have a better chance of winning the Super Bowl than all but one team, and having that shot is worth it.

Playoffs. Id rather go ahead and get the loss over with than wasting all that extra time building expectations and hope. Only to have it all yanked from me.

My college team lost a few years ago in the championship. And I still want to do this to anything associated with Bama for it.

giphy.gif

It depends on the circumstances. If you are the Falcons, losing in the SB not only just the loss by HOW they loss is something I’m sure will haunt them forever. On the other hand, if you are the Rams, losing in the WC round was viewed as a stepping stone because now the 2nd youngest team last season got to taste that playoff experience and can hopefully take another step forward in 2018 and beyond.

If we looking into in a vacuum then of course I want to lose in the SB because that means my team was one of the two last teams standing which is never a bad thing. Only one team can win so all I ask for from my team to give themselves a chance and if the team gets to the SB then they have given themselves a chance so I can’t complain.

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'd want my team to get as far as possible.  If you keep getting to the Super Bowl, eventually you are going to win one.  If you never get there, you never have the chance to be the best.

While this is true, there is nothing worse and more depressing "as a fan" , then losing the SB. Nothing!

I was in grade school for the Raiders SB so it doesn't count in my book. But 04', Sucked!!!!

4 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

While this is true, there is nothing worse and more depressing "as a fan" , then losing the SB. Nothing!

Eh... I mean, having lived through a 1-15 season I'm not so sure this is true. Week after week of incompetence on display.. being the laughingstock of the league.. a 3 month+ grind where you're reminded weekly your team is hot garbage, and then an entire offseason of "how can we become less garbage?"

If you made it to the SB, you had wayy more highlights than lowlights, and at the end of the game you know you're right on the cusp of competing again the very next year.

Archived