Bills Trade WR Sammy Watkins To the Rams

HTTRDynasty

I like this trade for the Bills.  They unload a very talented but injury prone receiver who they did not intend to keep and acquired a 2nd round pick in the process.  This is a team with a new coach in a rebuilding process.  What they got should help them more than what they gave up. 

I'm a bit surprised the Rams did this.  They traded away one of their starting cornerbacks and a 2nd round pick for a player on a one year deal.  Do the Rams think they're a contender with a second year quarterback?  Signing Whitworth and now this, it certainly seems like they're acting like they're trying to make a playoff push. 

36 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

@jrry32 I totally get your point on talent - but I always factor in cost when it comes to production.  If I didn't say it before, then I get why you think it's a backtrack - but you asked why I said what I did, so there it is.   Cost matters.   You say you don't care if you have to pay him - but it does matter to your team's chances to be good.  There are only 3-4 guys you can pay top $ on most teams, you need to find gains in value overall.  Frankly, that's Denver's current problem, after several years of finding that value to go with 3-4 highly paid guys, we've hit a dry spell completely in 2016, and our cap situation requires us to find those same values.   

It would be silly to argue there's no reward on talent payoff alone - no argument there.   But given how much the Rams have to commit to him after this year, the reward in terms of value goes way down IMO.   FWIW, I get why the Rams have to do this trade if they want to move forward on O - Goff & McVay need a guy like this.   The risk is just way, way higher than the potential return once you have to commit huge $ to him IMO.  We don't have to agree, just how I see it.  Time will tell.

The Rams are in a unique position because our QB will be on the rookie wage scale for a few more years. We can afford to pay a guy like Sammy. For the Rams, cost is a secondary concern. We have the money. If Watkins is worth extending, he just keeps us from spending it on a different WR in FA.

52 minutes ago, Crickett said:

I like this trade for the Bills.  They unload a very talented but injury prone receiver who they did not intend to keep and acquired a 2nd round pick in the process.  This is a team with a new coach in a rebuilding process.  What they got should help them more than what they gave up. 

I'm a bit surprised the Rams did this.  They traded away one of their starting cornerbacks and a 2nd round pick for a player on a one year deal.  Do the Rams think they're a contender with a second year quarterback?  Signing Whitworth and now this, it certainly seems like they're acting like they're trying to make a playoff push. 

Yes, I'm sure the Rams expect to contend for the playoffs. I'm sure almost every team does. E.J. Gaines wasn't a starting CB. He was our #4 CB behind Johnson, Webster, and NRC.

On 8/11/2017 at 2:10 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Is he a free agent after this season, or do the Rams have the ability to pick up his 5th year option even though the Bills declined it?

No, that ship has sailed. Per the CBA, the team has to give notice of activating his 5th year option between the end of his 3rd season and May 2nd of the following league year (I only know that because looking it up as part of the Bridgewater thread).

Im not even remotely sold on Goff, but there are too many people already writing him off as a terrible QB.     

Goff could still be very good, and getting him a nice weapon like this is certainly a nice step towards doing so.   

They didnt have a single legit WR on the roster.....and please dont say Tavon Austin, who is more of a gadget player than a true quality receiving threat.  

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Im not even remotely sold on Goff, but there are too many people already writing him off as a terrible QB.     

Goff could still be very good, and getting him a nice weapon like this is certainly a nice step towards doing so.   

They didnt have a single legit WR on the roster.....and please dont say Tavon Austin, who is more of a gadget player than a true quality receiving threat.  

Woods and Kupp are both legit WRs. Neither are a #1 WR like Watkins, though.

38 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I was waiting for you on this thread when it first came out xD.

IIRC we were both high on Watkins coming out of the draft so I"ll be the first one to defend him. Honestly, the Rams can't wait and Watkins gives them a chance to win now, as do other players like Whitworth, Woods, drafting a lot of skill position players, etc.

It's refreshing to see the Rams throw all their resources at OL and skill position to support their young qb. I remember when Carr had no supporting cast and he had an all time bad YPA, then the Raiders helped him out and he's grown into what he can be. Can't fault the Rams for trying.

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah....forgot about Woods TBH.    Rams finally have their first respectable WR corps since Holt and Bruce.

8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Agreed. Goff was bad and i didnt like him at Cal but its too soon to say he's done

I remember how happy i was when we drafted Sammy, he was the unanimous best receiver in a loaded class and I thought he was going to be a top 5 receiver no doubt. The kid is special when he plays, but it's just so frustrating that he can't stay healthy, whether it's a foot, or a hamstring. I'm rooting for him because I always root for that kind of talent, but Rams fans do yourself a favor and only count on 12 games from him and anything more is a blessing.

34 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I remember how happy i was when we drafted Sammy, he was the unanimous best receiver in a loaded class and I thought he was going to be a top 5 receiver no doubt. The kid is special when he plays, but it's just so frustrating that he can't stay healthy, whether it's a foot, or a hamstring. I'm rooting for him because I always root for that kind of talent, but Rams fans do yourself a favor and only count on 12 games from him and anything more is a blessing.

Watkins has been a top 10 receiver when he's healthy.  Which is almost never.   :(

Archived