Bills Trade WR Sammy Watkins To the Rams

HTTRDynasty

1 minute ago, BillsGuy82 said:

This is very dramatic. Watkins when healthy is a terrific deep threat but Tyrod has horrible down field accuracy so we're emphasizing short to intermediate routes which fits Jordan Matthews role assuming he'll line up alot in the slot. 

I see Darby and Gaines as a wash so the potential production level isn't as far off as the talent level would indicate 

You've now lost your top two CBs from last year and one of the better WRs in the league. It definitely seems like y'all are more worried about the next draft than you are this season.

10 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

You've now lost your top two CBs from last year and one of the better WRs in the league. It definitely seems like y'all are more worried about the next draft than you are this season.

Sammy never played.... I really don't get this logic.

And our top two corners who sucked you know what last year except for the stretch run when Gilmore stepped it up.

Darby got toasted by Ryan Fitzpatrick dude. He isn't very good right now (not saying a new team won't change that).

Everyone is seeing this as throwing in the towel, but the more I think about it, the more I realize we got a receiver who stays on the field as opposed to Sammy who either doesn't play or is playing hurt, and a Corner who I honestly don't know much about, but we got two more high picks. Big win for Buffalo today I think.

If Sammy goes off and lives up to his potential, then so be it, but I'd feel sick giving him 17mill(this is the franchise number for wide outs correct?) for a one year deal, or signing him long term knowing his history. It's too risky and we aren't in a position to take those risks knowing we aren't going to win the division anyways or even have a chance until Brady is gone or falls off a cliff.

This team could still fight for a wild card and be the Phins of last year

2 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Good god, what Ronald Darby are we talking about ? He was really awful last season.

I'm 100% good with these moves. Gaines and Darby at very least is a wash imo and than essentially Matthews a potential high 2nd and a 3rd for Sammy Watkins is not bad value.

We picked up a high character WR who has been productive, healthy, and excels in route running. Our cap situation down the road will be good and we're guaranteed ourselves a QB of our choosing IF Tyrod fails. We actually have alot of long term equity after this deal and I don't see us worse off this season.

I honestly would like Matthews more than Watkins as a player if he could catch the football. Some of that has to do with injury/attitude but Matthews seems to get more separation or finds more room to make catches even if he lacks Sammy's playmaking ability...but again, unfortunately, he can't catch a football. Maybe this will be the year he catches one!

5 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

... NOBODY is bashing the Rams for this, as far as I've seen. Everyone is bagging on the Bills.

I mean, if you want us to bag on the Rams, we can. xD

I mean in general. Other places I've seen the bashing of move by the Rams. Btw the Rams have been bagged on for what a decade, it's time to rise from the ashes a be great again ? ? ?. Seriously Snead/McVay have made moves this offseason to ensure this offense won't be stale like it was with under Fisher. When Snead was on the ATL front office they made the big trade to get Ryan the weapon Julio. This is Snead finally giving Goff the weapon Watkins in a big trade.

Guess the Bills were not planning on re-signing Watkins, which I understand given his durability concerns.  While they added another draft pcik, they did downgrade in the short term with their moves IMO.  Seem to be gearing up for the future with the draft picks they have been acquiring.

5 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

My goodness why trade up for him (bad trade then, even worse now) to just dump him for a 2nd and an ok slot guy hoping to bounce back from an injury.

The trade up when drafting him is a sunk cost that shouldn't be factored in when making future decisions

3 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Our secondary was trash last year. Gonna be all new faces. Tre is the real deal from reports in camp. He has outplayed Darby in camp. Hopefully. Gaines, Seymour, or Wright can step up as the #2 corner. But we had to completely revamp our secondary. To many players didnt fit in Seans system and many actually struggled last year. We are gonna have to count on Hyde to be a leader back there.

5 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

So it seems like Buffalo has already given up on this season. Which seems odd. But McDermott should be able to suck this year and keep his job.

If we were giving up we wouldnt have bothered to bring in Matthews/Gaines. Especially with them being in their contract year. We would of just racked up extra draft picks. But bringing in good replacements shows that we are still trying to compete this year and not throw in the towel. These trades bring us more production for the current team (As Matthews and Gaines have been more productive than Darby and Watkins) and future picks to continue to build.

Our ceiling has decreased for 2017/18 but our floor has increased with these trades.

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I really like this trade. Watkins needs to stay healthy, but we needed a deep threat. Watkins is one of the best in football. Watkins will fill the DeSean role. Woods will fill the Garcon role. Kupp will fill the Crowder role. For the first time in a long time, we have a quality WR corp.

But sadly, nobody to get them the football. 

Biggest thing for me is how they plan to keep Watkins around after this season - Tag would seem very expensive and if he has another middling season do you invest long term?

8 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Gained sucks.. hasn't been good since his rookie year.. Don't like this deal TBH.. All but secures that we cut Tavon soon.. Then we will have to over pay for this cat. 

Are you fine with the gross overpayment of Austin right now?

Archived