2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

Just now, Forge said:

A case can be made either way. He flat out wasn't ready last year - it could be argued he won't be ready at the end of this year - so this may have been better for his long term viability in the NFL. That being said, he was returning to a team that was losing the majority of it's talent (not easy for a team like Wyoming to replace one true NFL caliber player along with a couple of other fringe NFL players and then a few productive seniors to boot). So it made sense to go back, get snaps, continue to grow and evolve....but you're doing it in a place that may not have the talent to support you nearly as well as the year before. 

I"ll also say that there was no guarantee he would have went high enough to justify coming out. Matt Miller mocked him in the top 5, but he was the only one I know of who was advocating such a move. I don't know that Allen would have been taken higher than Trubs, Watson or Mahomes last year. I wouldn't have even had him as a first rounder last year and I'm pretty sure last year I was one of the earliest and loudest on that bandwagon. Tony Pauline also had him go in the second round if he went out. I wouldn't be surprised if he got some chatter, found out it was unlikely to go in the first round, and that's why he decided to go back. 

4 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Given his physical talents from scrambling to arm strength, and going off the insanely small sample size from one game this year where he looked far better mechanically and in the pocket, its hard for me to believe Lamar Jackson is anything but a top 5 pick. Some team is going to fall in love. He is a very similar player to Cunningham IMHO. If he can stay healthy, he can be very exciting. Just needs to keep learning, keep working on accuracy and timing routes, keep developing a sense for checking down rather than going for a 2nd/3rd level throw or scrambling. But the talent is certainly there.

I've had similar thoughts on Jackson as well. He always has reminded me a bit of Randall Cunningham. If he keeps up this high level of play he's gotta be a lock to be an early 1st round pick. The athleticism/tools are right up there with the best ever from a prospect standpoint at QB. Whether or not he can continue to progress as a passer will be interesting to see this season. I really liked what I saw this past week against Purdue. He was throwing some absolute lasers, and putting them in places for his WR's to make plays after the catch. Another thing I saw at least 3-4 times off the top of my head was him scrambling to avoid pressure, and keeping his eyes down field to find his WR's for crucial 1st downs. Couple plays that stood out on his improvement on why he is such a special player:

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I've had similar thoughts on Jackson as well. He always has reminded me a bit of Randall Cunningham. If he keeps up this high level of play he's gotta be a lock to be an early 1st round pick. The athleticism/tools are right up there with the best ever from a prospect standpoint at QB. Whether or not he can continue to progress as a passer will be interesting to see this season. I really liked what I saw this past week against Purdue. He was throwing some absolute lasers, and putting them in places for his WR's to make plays after the catch. Another thing I saw at least 3-4 times off the top of my head was him scrambling to avoid pressure, and keeping his eyes down field to find his WR's for crucial 1st downs. Couple plays that stood out on his improvement on why he is such a special player:

I think that first highlight illustrates pretty much the crux of my overarching concern with Jackson as an NFL prospect.  It's a great run.  He's obviously a tough runner who doesn't back down and he piles up yardage doing that, making something out of nothing.  But he uses his legs like that as a runner, not just as a scrambler.  Possesses a great set of traits to do that...But at the end of the day, do you really want the QB your franchise has invested so much in to be consistently running like that and dropping his shoulder fighting for an extra yard?  Especially considering the guy isn't exactly built like Cam Newton.

Jackson's running is such a weapon...but at the NFL level, how consistently are you actually going to bring that dimension into it?  His legs as a runner being a weapon such as they are, it impacts the way defenses approach him.  The more you take that dimension away to "protect" your investment and prospective "franchise quarterback", you're going to get defenses attacking him differently.  That's going to be an adjustment.  Not that he isn't also promising as a passer and in using his legs to scramble and buy time to make throws as well.  But basically, how much of the "premium" you're going to pay to draft this guy is going to be vested in the special things he can do as a runner?  Because to me, that's an attribute that you're probably not even going to want to fully take advantage of in the NFL, so as to avoid exposing your franchise to the additional risk that invites.

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I think that first highlight illustrates pretty much the crux of my overarching concern with Jackson as an NFL prospect.  It's a great run.  He's obviously a tough runner who doesn't back down and he piles up yardage doing that, making something out of nothing.  But he uses his legs like that as a runner, not just as a scrambler.  Possesses a great set of traits to do that...But at the end of the day, do you really want the QB your franchise has invested so much in to be consistently running like that and dropping his shoulder fighting for an extra yard?  Especially considering the guy isn't exactly built like Cam Newton.

Jackson's running is such a weapon...but at the NFL level, how consistently are you actually going to bring that dimension into it?  His legs as a runner being a weapon such as they are, it impacts the way defenses approach him.  The more you take that dimension away to "protect" your investment and prospective "franchise quarterback", you're going to get defenses attacking him differently.  That's going to be an adjustment.  Not that he isn't also promising as a passer and in using his legs to scramble and buy time to make throws as well.  But basically, how much of the "premium" you're going to pay to draft this guy is going to be vested in the special things he can do as a runner?  Because to me, that's an attribute that you're probably not even going to want to fully take advantage of in the NFL, so as to avoid exposing your franchise to the additional risk that invites.

It's an asset that would be used plenty in the NFL. Sure injuries are a risk with him running, but he simply could learn to be a bit more like Russell Wilson and get out of bounds/slide before taking big hits. Both Russell Wilson and Cam Newton have had seasons over 700 yards rushing, and Cam even put up a 14 touchdown season rushing. Lamar Jackson is a better rushing threat than either of them due to his speed/acceleration/agility. Regardless just the threat of him being a dangerous runner changes how defenses have to play him as they always have to account for his ability to take it the distance on the ground. This is important because if he continues to progress like he has as a passer he becomes an absolute weapon to have on your team. Obviously it will be crucial for him to protect himself like Russell Wilson has done so well at, but given Jackson's arm talent and athleticism he could be a very dangerous pro. 

I agree with @tyler735 on that one. The simple fact that he can do that to a defense is enough to fetch some attention from the opposing team and must be accounted for. That alone will change schemes, game plans, coverages because without proper discipline and preparation this kid will kill you with it.  Thats why it is vitally important he keep developing as a passer as he showed in his last game. If he keeps that going and builds on it further in regards to accuracy, decision making, accuracy, basic mechanics he could become a force. 

I also don't necessarily think him not possessing Cam's stature is a negative, as long as he doesn't run with Cam's style. Cam consistently invites contact and physicality attempting to use his stature while running. As someone said earlier, I see no issue with him running in the NFL as long as he's smart about it like Wilson.

29 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I want Lamar Jackson in SF. Jackson with Kyle Shanahan.:x 

Throw in Jaylen Smith and you've got yourself a deal. All those roll outs, play actions over the top and that live arm I agree it would be fun to see what Shanny could game plan with a QB like Jackson. As long as his accuracy keeps getting better for those short to intermediate throws Shanny likes running.

It's quickly becoming obvious to me that Hayden Moore of Cincinnati is not an NFL QB. He could barely throw for 60% and 150 passing yards against Austin Peay. He's now under 30% with an INT, no TD's, and 73 passing yards at the half against Michigan. He throws for about 1,800 yards per year and hasn't had 60% on a season yet. I know the box score doesn't tell the whole story, but I think it's a good indicator here. (Yes, I have watched Moore and he doesn't pass my eye test, either.)

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

Throw in Jaylen Smith and you've got yourself a deal. All those roll outs, play actions over the top and that live arm I agree it would be fun to see what Shanny could game plan with a QB like Jackson. As long as his accuracy keeps getting better for those short to intermediate throws Shanny likes running.

I see very little chance Shanny doesnt stay with a pro-style qb but I think I'm sold on Lamar Jackson being the #1 overall player. He's a talent that needs to have a system created for him that is unlike one we've ever seen before. 

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I see very little chance Shanny doesnt stay with a pro-style qb 

Agree with this. I think that guys like Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold and Rudolph would be the most likely guys that we look at it if we draft a quarterback. 

Just now, Forge said:

Agree with this. I think that guys like Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold and Rudolph would be the most likely guys that we look at it if we draft a quarterback. 

Oklahoma runs the spread I thought, is Baker ever under center? Pro style?

1 minute ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Oklahoma runs the spread I thought, is Baker ever under center? Pro style?

Nope, neither is Rudolph. I don't know how much that will factor into it for Shanny though. Mayfield is to me a guy that matches up very well with what Shanny has shown to look for out of quarterbacks in the past, with the exception of the pro style offense. But if he's requiring that out of prospects, that eliminates a ton of potential quarterbacks in next years draft. You're talking Rudolph, Falk, Mayfield, it goes on.

Archived