Share Your 53 Man Roster Predictions

Cadmus

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/05/09/packers-qb-tim-boyle-taysom-hill/595311002/

"Pro scout Chad Brinker came back from visiting Eastern Kentucky and made a case for signing Boyle despite his lackluster stats and unsettled time at UConn. In researching the 23-year-old Boyle, the Packers found out he was offered scholarships to Michigan, Florida, Notre Dame, Oregon and Boston College coming out of Xavier High School in Middletown, Conn."

From PackersNews this week

"The Packers also probably shouldn’t play undrafted rookie Tim Boyle, so they can feel safer about getting him through to their practice squad. Boyle flashed enough in the first preseason game that another strong performance in the finale just might be enough to convince a team to take a shot at him if he’s cut. But if he doesn’t play Thursday, then it’s hard to see any club claiming him for its final 53. Two preseason games are just not enough to go on with an undrafted rookie quarterback.

Boyle is raw and needs a year on the practice squad. But based on camp and the preseason, he has shown the traits – arm strength, size and poise – to be a legitimate prospect for the Packers’ backup of the future."

Das Gute talks about this in the presser he did today and noted that this is part of how their front office team works in evaluating what might happen at cutdown time across the league

Tee it up and listen starting at the 6:30 mark. Good stuff.
What he talks about is that while GB sees a guy in practice, meeting rooms, OTAs etc, the rest of the league only has the very limited game snaps to make their evaluations. And so the Packers scouts try to evaluate the bubble guys with only that limited sample to get a feel for how the rest of the league will view an individual player. Then they have some insight on the chances of sneaking a guy onto the PS. Giving the League more info isn't in the Packers best interest. And that reality is reflected in the links and quotes I posted above.

If you have something more substantial than "lol' to add to the conversation, we're always interested in learning more here at FF, don't be shy. 

Again, big difference between something being plausible vs absolute.

I've never spoken ill of Boyle, I like him, I just stated I don't think we will keep 4 QB's around vis 53 + PS.  Might it be a goal to get him to the PS? Of course.  Perhaps they will be upset if they don't have him for TC next year.  I still don't think losing out on Hill was a big deal, personally, what was he, 27 last year. 

I have to update mine.

QB: Rodgers, Kizer(2) - Hundley gets traded somewhere when a team fails to land Bridgewater. 

RB: Williams, Jones, Monty, Ripkowski(6)

WR: Adams, Cobb, ESB, Moore, MVS, Allison(12) - I think Clark and Kumerow go to the PS and I can't see us keeping 7 WR's. I think Davis gets traded to the 49ers for a 6th. 

TE: Graham, Lewis, Kendricks(15) - I don't see how Kendricks doesn't make this team. He's cheap and we can let him walk for whichever TE we draft in next year's draft. 

OL: Bakh, Taylor, Linsley, McCray, Bulaga, Murphy, Spriggs, Patrick, Bell, Pankey(25) 

Defense:

DL: Daniels, Wilkerson, Clark, Lowry, Adams, Looney(30) - Lancaster and Sheehy find their way to the PS.

OLB: CMIII, Perry, Biegel, Fackrell, Gilbert, Donnerson(36) - Not sure Odom could make it to the PS, but he will need a very strong showing in TC but I think Donnerson outplays him.

ILB: Martinez, Burks, Morrison(39) 

CB: House, King, Williams, Alexander, Jackson, Waters(45) 

S: HaHa, Evans, Brice, Jones(50) 

ST: Scott, Crosby, Triner(53)

1 hour ago, Joe said:

...WR: Adams, Cobb, ESB, Moore, MVS, Allison(12) - I think Clark and Kumerow go to the PS and I can't see us keeping 7 WR's. I think Davis gets traded to the 49ers for a 6th...

Michael Clark? He retired at the start of training camp. So you still have a spot on the PS to fill!  ( - : #

8 hours ago, BrettFavre004 said:

First one I'm posting here

Have never had Spriggs on my final 53 in any of my attempts.  Despite Murphy being awful and Spriggs maybe having his best outing in PS, not going to overreact.  Always had our 4th ILB be TBD as well, so Antonio Morrison filled that roll.

Barring injury, there is a 0% chance Spriggs doesn’t make this roster. Your overreaction was leaving him off the 53 to begin with. 

7 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Barring injury, there is a 0% chance Spriggs doesn’t make this roster. Your overreaction was leaving him off the 53 to begin with. 

It's the high draft pick syndrome. People would rather keep a UDFA than a day 2 pick that hasn't become a starter because they resent we spent draft capital on them and they didn't live up to the hype.

Spriggs and Fackrell are for sure making the team. Rollins is a bubble guy but I'd say if they keep 10 DBs he'll be #10.

40 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's the high draft pick syndrome.

The hell it is.  Spriggs has put up god awful tape until the third preseason game where he finally looked like an average backup tackle.  

People that call out putrid play could give a **** less what round the player was drafted in.  Reggie Gilbert is the perfect example of the true "high draft pick syndrome."  He was clearly better than Fackrell and Biegel last year, but he was cut because he wasnt a draft pick.  

39 minutes ago, Cheech said:

The hell it is.  Spriggs has put up god awful tape until the third preseason game where he finally looked like an average backup tackle.  

People that call out putrid play could give a **** less what round the player was drafted in.  Reggie Gilbert is the perfect example of the true "high draft pick syndrome."  He was clearly better than Fackrell and Biegel last year, but he was cut because he wasnt a draft pick.  

ok, rank your top 32 backup OT's for this preseason.

My take:

QB Rodgers, Hundley, Kizer

RB Montgomery, Williams, Jones after wk2

FB Ripkowski

TE Graham, Lewis, Tonyan

WR Adams, Cobb, Allison, Moore, MVS, ESB, Kumerow

OL Bakhtiari, Taylor, Linsley, McCray, Bulaga, Spriggs, Pankey, Patrick

DL Daniels, Clark, Wilkerson, Adams, Lowry, Mbu

OLB Matthews, Price, Gilbert, Fackrell, Biegel,

ILB Martinez, Burks, Morrison, Thomas

CB Williams, King, Alexander, Jackson, House, Waters,

S Clinton-Dix, Brice, Jones, Evans

Crosby, Scott, Triner

Other possibilities:
TE Byrd over FB Ripkowski or TE Tonyan ?
WR Davis over any rookie WR
OLB Donnerson or DE Looney, over Mbu ?
OL Murphy over WR Kumerow ?

8 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/05/09/packers-qb-tim-boyle-taysom-hill/595311002/

"Pro scout Chad Brinker came back from visiting Eastern Kentucky and made a case for signing Boyle despite his lackluster stats and unsettled time at UConn. In researching the 23-year-old Boyle, the Packers found out he was offered scholarships to Michigan, Florida, Notre Dame, Oregon and Boston College coming out of Xavier High School in Middletown, Conn."

From PackersNews this week

"The Packers also probably shouldn’t play undrafted rookie Tim Boyle, so they can feel safer about getting him through to their practice squad. Boyle flashed enough in the first preseason game that another strong performance in the finale just might be enough to convince a team to take a shot at him if he’s cut. But if he doesn’t play Thursday, then it’s hard to see any club claiming him for its final 53. Two preseason games are just not enough to go on with an undrafted rookie quarterback.

Boyle is raw and needs a year on the practice squad. But based on camp and the preseason, he has shown the traits – arm strength, size and poise – to be a legitimate prospect for the Packers’ backup of the future."

Ok...I'll bite.  IF someone claims him, what are we possibly missing out on?  I mean, to me this is no different than the Taysom Hill hype train last season.  Boyle doesn't posses great accuracy, but he's got a lively enough arm that it keeps him interesting.  But long-term, he's probably at best a mid-tier #2 QB.  That's nothing that I'm overly concerned about losing.  Especially if it means a bigger uncertainty at QB this year.  If you release Hundley (or trade him), that make Kizer your #2 QB.  And with all the development that Kizer has shown, I'm not sure he's really ready to play.  Probably needs another year of development.  And if you release (or trade) Kizer, you're essentially saying the Randall trade was nothing more than a dump.

Archived