2018 Draft Eligible Non-Rush DL Thread

CalhounLambeau

Nathan Shepherd is really good actually. I usually don't get around to scouting the smaller school guys, but my goodness...he's got some violent mitts and excellent quickness for his size. It wouldn't shock the hell out of me to see him go in the 1st round. He's got Chris Jones talent but with a much better motor.

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Nathan Shepherd is really good actually. I usually don't get around to scouting the smaller school guys, but my goodness...he's got some violent mitts and excellent quickness for his size. It wouldn't shock the hell out of me to see him go in the 1st round. He's got Chris Jones talent but with a much better motor.

I like him a lot, but 1st round may be a reach. The talent is there, but he is pretty raw! 

On 06/03/2018 at 6:15 AM, Iamcanadian said:
On 21/12/2017 at 2:36 AM, BleedTheClock said:

Da'Ron Payne doesn't strike me as a 3-Tech. More of a double team eater IMO. He could play 3-Tech, but I'm assuming he is looking for a squatty penetrating UT, which I don't think Payne is.

RJ McIntosh from Miami would be perfect and should be available in the late 1st. I know he's underachieved big time, but I still like DaShawn Hand. He has Chris Jones potential, but I couldn't really justify putting him in the 1st round.

@RedRider, what has Jaleel Johnson done for you guys? I really liked him coming out.

From what I saw on film, Payne can definitely be a 3 tech and teams are likely to want him just to do that, as it still remains a passing league first and foremost. He can give you more as well, but his first priority will be rushing the passer.

Does anyone think that Payne could slip into the second round on the premise that he's primarily a run stuffer with limited pass rush? Just to be clear I think he's got potential to be a 3T in a 4-3 if he can polish his pass rush technique and really like him as a player but a few players recently have taken a tumble down the draft due to being perceived as a run stopper.

On 3/22/2018 at 6:41 PM, BleedTheClock said:

He's an older guy. Six years removed from high school so I doubt it. But I see what you're seeing. 

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Does anyone think that Payne could slip into the second round on the premise that he's primarily a run stuffer with limited pass rush? Just to be clear I think he's got potential to be a 3T in a 4-3 if he can polish his pass rush technique and really like him as a player but a few players recently have taken a tumble down the draft due to being perceived as a run stopper.

Man if they think Payne has limited pass rush abilities they must not have watched his film esp in the big SEC and BCS games.   He routinely takes on double teams and disrupts the interior pocket.   To me he can fit as a NT or 3 tech.  

1 hour ago, CalhounLambeau said:

He's an older guy. Six years removed from high school so I doubt it. But I see what you're seeing. 

Old guys beating up on small school competition are always risky. Shame he didn't get to spend more time at the Senior Bowl

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

As the driver of his bus, I'll just sit this here.

If people had just watched him they would've known this was coming. A DT that can chase a RB down 50 ish yards down the field is probably gonna test pretty well. 

On 3/24/2018 at 8:06 AM, Darbsk said:

I do not know where this 'not a pass rusher is coming from'. Payne can put a lot of pressure on a QB and is viewed that way by pro scouts and GM's. The fact he is a decent run stuffer as well doesn't mean he is see as that alone. 

He will be drafted quite high because he can rush the QB, the run stuffing is just a bonus!!! There is zero chance he ever gets close to round 2, unless there are unknown medical issues or sudden drug notifications that arise from testing at the Combine!!!

31 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

If people had just watched him they would've known this was coming. A DT that can chase a RB down 50 ish yards down the field is probably gonna test pretty well. 

Our problem is we cannot watch him, Sam Houston St. isn't exactly a TV hotbed and often players from small schools are not invited to the Combine, because some teams are trying to hide his talent by not inviting him, as it takes 2 or 3 teams to invite him, for him to get an invitation!!!

1 minute ago, Iamcanadian said:

Our problem is we cannot watch him, Sam Houston St. isn't exactly a TV hotbed and often players from small schools are not invited to the Combine, because some teams are trying to hide his talent by not inviting him, as it takes 2 or 3 teams to invite him, for him to get an invitation!!!

Youtube exists though

4 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

Youtube exists though

There isn't much up with regard to cut-ups. I thought he looked like garbage in the NDSU game. I saw some good and bad in the Incarnate Word game. I wish there was more. I was really excited about him based on his production, but I haven't been able to find the film that blows me away.

Archived